VW Autosleeper Clubman GL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VW Autosleeper Clubman GL

Post by Benedictine on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi folks, I'd appreciate some advice/guidance.  

Considering a first foray into motorhome ownership.  Only previous experience was hiring a motorhome for a month on a holiday to New Zealand some years ago, which we thoroughly enjoyed.  Have done some basic research, and so far we think that our needs/desires would be met by a 1990s VW Autosleeper Clubman GL.  Just two adults and a dog.  Mainly want something for occasional weekends away, or for just ambling out to our local beaches (we live in North Norfolk) to spend a day with dog, inflatable kayak and have a base to go back to for lunch, a cuppa and watching the sunset.  Might do the occasional week away.  Have a budget of about £15k, and have seen a few for sale in this range.

So, looking for people to convince us either (a) we're doing the right thing or (b) we're making a terrible mistake, and any general advice regarding these vehicles from people who know them.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Benedictine

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VW Autosleeper Clubman GL

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm

No your not making a terrible mistake, Wingrider8368  is selling his with extras, , he is a member on here, this is well looked after van.

Clubmans are excellent vans, and hold their price well. I can vouch for them.

Good luck. up! with your search.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:49 pm

I can't comment about your choice of van but I can certainly recommend the lifestyle. Your demands make that size vehicle ideal.

I will recommend you spend as much of your budget as possible, don't be tempted to buy "a bargain" (unless you have very good reasons to believe it really is a bargain). You can end up spending a lot more than you save by doing this.

Once you have something in your sights come back here will more details and the knowledgable people here will tell you what to look for.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:34 pm

We chose a Clubman for our first foray into motorhoming and don't regret it for an instant. The VW base vehicle is a decent drive, it's not too big, so easy to handle, loads of storage inside, we use the bed as a double to sleep lengthwise which gives loads of room, only takes a minute or so to make up/put down. Ours is a 2001 and the fittings are still solid with very few creaks or rattles (once you work out how to silence the cooker when travelling ). If I had to find a criticism  it would be a lack of outside storage, a locker or 2 would be nice.  We bought ours with a budget to see if we enjoyed motorhoming, thinking that if we did we would trade up to a new or nearly new van, but we like ours so much we are keeping it.

The Clubman also has an excellent user payload, which beats many others old or new.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Norgil talks a lot of sense there. up!

The old timers were certainly much better built than more recent models, which are suffering from too much interference by the accountants!

If you like the model, go for it - but remember that the habitation area is by far the most important to get right. The base vehicle is almost incidental so long as it's in good nick. It's only used to get you there! Once "there" however, the part you live in is all important, so look at a lot and make your three columns list.

Things you really like.

Things you are not too bothered about either way.

Things you definitely don't want at any cost.

Good luck - you will never look back!

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:10 pm

I've had my Clubman for over four years and I reckon it's probably ideal for your requirements.

It is, of course, all about compromise.  I would love a full-size shower and water tanks to suit.  But I wanted a vehicle which I could park in a "standard" car space.  Oh, and a permanent double bed would be nice as well!

I tend to use mine for days out as much (if not more) than a week or two away.  I have been away in Europe (remember them - we used to be part of it?) for a couple of weeks and enjoyed every minute.

I'm probably a bit too far away (just north of Brighton), but you'd be welcome to come and chat about it and look at mine if it would help.
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:27 pm

We bought our Clubman for pretty much the same reasons that you have mentioned (we have 4 dogs....), and we are now p/xing it for a new van. As an introduction to Motorhoming, the Clubman was just right although you can always use more space - we bought a Kyham Motordome to use as extra habitation. The main drawback we found was, once the bed is made up (and the dogs have claimed their spot on it!!), you are quite restricted in space within the van.... Our new 'home has a rear u-shaped lounge so, even with the bed 'made', the cab and centre of the 'van are still available (but we are keeping the Khyam as well!). Lengthwise, the Clubman is ideal for everyday use and is a great drive.
Echoing SteveUK, I'm in Ely (not too far away), so if you want to chat and see, you'd be more than welcome!
Cheers!
Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedictine on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.  

All of the ones I've seen advertised are a long way from where I live, so thanks to the people who have posted on this thread (and/or PM'd me) regarding Wingrider8368 having one for sale.  Much more convenient because he appears to be in Norwich, just 20 odd miles away.

However, I have a problem.  I've obviously only just joined this forum and these are my first posts.  I've tried to PM an enquiry to Wingman (as he asks in his advert in the classifieds section, which I've now seen).  Unfortunately the forum rules/setup seem to prevent me sending PMs until I've made more posts (it doesn't say how many I need - but I presume this is to deter trolls).

If anybody knows Wingman, do you think you could draw his attention to this thread so that perhaps he might PM me?

Thanks again.
Benedictine

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:33 pm

You only need 4 or 5 posts to allow you to use PM's, so do an intro in the welcome section and reply to a couple of responses and you'll be ok to PM.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Clubman is really excellent. I only wish they still made them. Try to get the 2.5 tdi VW engine.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Benedictine wrote:Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.  

All of the ones I've seen advertised are a long way from where I live, so thanks to the people who have posted on this thread (and/or PM'd me) regarding Wingrider8368 having one for sale.  Much more convenient because he appears to be in Norwich, just 20 odd miles away.

However, I have a problem.  I've obviously only just joined this forum and these are my first posts.  I've tried to PM an enquiry to Wingman (as he asks in his advert in the classifieds section, which I've now seen).  Unfortunately the forum rules/setup seem to prevent me sending PMs until I've made more posts (it doesn't say how many I need - but I presume this is to deter trolls).

If anybody knows Wingman, do you think you could draw his attention to this thread so that perhaps he might PM me?

Thanks again
Have sent him an email.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedictine on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks folks, I'll stick in a few more posts and see if I can get myself validated to send PMs.
Benedictine

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedictine on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:37 am

Contact made - thanks.  Still interested if anybody has more thoughts about these beasties (and views of the VW 2.4 diesel, especially its longevity).
Benedictine

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Benedictine wrote:Contact made - thanks.  Still interested if anybody has more thoughts about these beasties (and views of the VW 2.4 diesel, especially its longevity).
Some say that the 2.4 diesel is slow, and under powered.... shrugg ....I am more than happy with mine, and it chuggs along nicely........Mine's automatic, so its a dream to drive, and I,m not in a hurry to get anywhere fast.    hugegrins      It can happily maintain motorway speed limits, although I tend to roll along at about 55 to 60 mph as I don't worry too much about time........it catches up with all of us.   biggrin   We like the long single bed option that they provide, without the ridges that come with seat cushions joining half way down your back.   (SWMBO has the princess and the pea syndrome   snigger )
Having had a 1995 Duetto, then a 1994 Trophy, and now a 1993 Clubman, it seems we are going backwards in the wrong direction...... scratch head
Anyhow, I suppose you could say we were working towards our Clubman, which is the end result, and we are more than happy to finally have one.    bow
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedictine on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:04 am

High speed never really on my agenda.  We like things slow here in Norfolk.  Chugging along country roads enjoying the scenery is all we really want.  
Benedictine

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:52 am

You really want a 2.5.  The 2.4 struggles to get up hills & is a lot less economical. 
The 2.5tdi is a great engine. Mine returns 45 mpg. A 2.4 will be more like 25-30mpg cos u have to ring it's neck!
I would also say that if you have dogs then you WILL NEED a drive away awning. 
We have only 1 dog & its cramped when the bed is up.  We always have to move the poor dog to get into the 
washroom. 
In hindsight I'd have gone for something bigger, although the Clubman is easy to drive & park. 
We added a fiamma back box so we now have outside storage. 

It's a good starter motorhome & easy to drive, store & clean. 
We may still sell ours in favour of something larger which would be a shame after all the dosh & hard work we've put in. 
We are going to try a few trips with the awning & see how we like it.
Pamponi

Male

Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:13 pm

I have a dog in fact have had two dogs, medium size in my Clubman, and I don`t have a drive away awning, if travelling around sometimes one or two nights  another thing to store and set up, takes away the get up and go, might was well have a caravan. just my opinion.

Benidictine, best to try out motorhome before you lay out for an awning, you only have to look on eBay to see how many are for sale, some used just the once, then you will know whether you will make use of one.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:47 pm

My Clubman is a 2.5Tdi and is good to drive and economical. The main issue for me isn't speed but the improved overall driving experience of the 2.5 over  the 2.4. You simply don't have to work so hard with the 2.5 and it handles inclines much better. I previously drove a 2.4 panel van for work and the difference is very significant. The 2.5 is much less tiring if you do undertake a longish journey.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:11 am

Just splashed out on a 2nd hand drive away awning plus scarlet & some solar fairy lights! It's an inflatable type that is sposed to be pitched in 5mins. We shall see...
Will be trying it out this month.
I shall report back.
Pamponi

Male

Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:57 am

Pamponi, look forward to your awning update, I am still trying to find the right solution for my Clubman.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum