beginners questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

beginners questions

Post by brumbrum on 4/8/2016, 17:06

I have noticed on the forums that many people advocate buying a "whale "pump for the purpose of filling the water  tanks .When i took ownership of my exec the owner gave me a hose with a tap connector and a plastic water can ,these he told me were all he used .
Also is it advisable to travel with limited water in the fresh tank until you arrive at your site .

bill
brumbrum

Male

Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: beginners questions

Post by boxerman on 4/8/2016, 17:19

brumbrum wrote:I have noticed on the forums that many people advocate buying a "whale "pump for the purpose of filling the water  tanks .When i took ownership of my exec the owner gave me a hose with a tap connector and a plastic water can ,these he told me were all he used .
I never even used a watering can - just a hose pipe.

Also is it advisable to travel with limited water in the fresh tank until you arrive at your site .

bill
Different folks have differing opinions. If you intend to camp 'off site' then having a full water tank is somewhat of a necessity. If you are only going to camp on sites, then you can fill up when you arrive.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on 4/8/2016, 17:33

I think the pump is only used to transfer water from a large container in to the tank. I don't like the idea of lugging a large container around a site so like boxerman I only use a hose. If we are empty I will search out the drinking water tap before parking to ensure I start with a full tank.

We don't drink the water from our fresh water tank, preferring to use bottled water so don't often need a full tank. If we know the next site will have drinking water we travel with whatever we have left. If I'm not sure I fill the tank.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on 4/8/2016, 20:07

We use a hose or water carrier on site, depending on how easy it is to up sticks to the nearest tap.

Our carrier is a purpose made 10l plastic can, with a flexible spout and the addition of a 1/4" hole right at the top which can be blocked with a rubber bung. This alleviates the interminable glugging and sucking in of air that normally slows down filling. The can usually empties faster than the site tap that fills it.

If we're travelling a reasonable distance I usually put in enough for our immediate needs, about 20l, just so that we can wash our hands and crockery if we stop for a snack.
We carry drinking water separately, either in the above water container, or in an old 5l bottle.

We don't drink the water from the tank.
meanchris

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on 4/8/2016, 20:42

I travel with a full tank from home, more convenient than perhaps queuing up when getting to a site,  then top up with watering can as needed, drinking water is in 2 x 5ltre water bottles, tank water is for everything else , incl. tea / coffee etc.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brumbrum on 4/8/2016, 21:52

more knowledge thank you
brumbrum

Male

Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on 4/8/2016, 22:33

It's a very long time since I learned any maths, but if water weighs roughly one kilo per litre, then a full tank is possibly equivalent to carrying an extra adult ? shrugg
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on 4/8/2016, 22:45

Yes, ISTR that our tank is 70kg, almost exactly my own weight (I'm a bloke BTW)
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on 5/8/2016, 00:20

meanchris wrote:Yes, ISTR that our tank is 70kg, almost exactly my own weight (I'm a bloke BTW)
I'm glad my tank doesn't weigh the same as me. Whistle1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancky on 5/8/2016, 01:52

We recently saw a Tugger on Site topping up his aquaroll with a 2 x3 ltre bottle....What is that about?! Why not just take the A Roll and be done with it? 
We travel with what we need for a stop and then fill up on Site. If going to a more basic Site then we fill up before we leave.
Lancky

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on 5/8/2016, 07:24

Weight of water no problem for me, I am well under the total weight of my van when loaded,   also I travel alone so that makes up for the weight of the water. smile! each of us travel that suits us, no one way is right for everyone,
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on 5/8/2016, 08:55

Agree daisy mae, find what works for you. We travel without water and fill up (with an 8m length of garden hose kept for the purpose)  on site, 100 litres last about 4 or 5 days. If necessary I top up using an expensive £1.99 watering can from B&M. Drinking water gets collected in plastic bottles from the site tap and stored in the fridge.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on 5/8/2016, 14:16

We drink water straight from the taps in the van, and have never had a problem.

I do clean the system very carefully at the start of the season using tablets obtained from http://zappysblog.co.uk/

Very detailed explanation here. http://zappysblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Cleaning-of-Tanks-and-Containers-in-Motorhomes-RVs-Caravans-Boats-v8.pdf

Unlike Milton and the like, the tablets leave little or no residual taste - certainly not after a couple of fills and empties to rinse the tank and pipework. I'm confident this keeps everything nice and clean, and with the anti bacterial additive that comes in tap water anyway it has done us no harm - so far!! The tablets are very cheap and the process is quick, so it could be done twice per year if thought necessary.

I have to wonder how the human race survived for so long before the cunning little chappies from Evian hit on the best money making scheme of the millennium. snigger  Remember when Coca Cola UK were "done" a few years ago for filling their bottles from the tap (literally) and claiming it was spring water? shrugg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3809539.stm

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on 5/8/2016, 15:21

I'd be happy to use the tank water if it was being replenished and replaced frequently, and I'm aware that water generally stays fresh when kept in darkness (as does the water kept in tanks under Spanish country houses), but I baulk at drinking from the tank that's been left almost empty for 6 months and then filled, conveniently distributing any sludge and growth all through the fresh water.
Fair enough if you take the trouble to disinfect it though.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on 5/8/2016, 15:41

meanchris wrote: . . . but I baulk at drinking from the tank that's been left almost empty for 6 months and then filled, conveniently distributing any sludge and growth all through the fresh water.
So do I Chris, and I should mention that we have had the van from new so we know its history. Not sure I would be so blasé about it if the van were second hand!

I always drain down after every trip, and this morning I had a Whale diaphragm pump fitted in place of the nasty submersible item, so I'm hoping I won't have to spend half an hour coaxing it into life every time I fill up!!! censored!

Dave smile!

Last edited by Gromit on 5/8/2016, 15:42; edited 1 time in total
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on 5/8/2016, 15:41

I disinfect my fresh water tank, still prefer to have the 5litre bottles of water that I fill up from the tap, wouldn`t dream of buying water from super markets.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on 5/8/2016, 15:57

daisy mae wrote:wouldn`t dream of buying water from super markets.
No I wouldn't either - I have better things to dream about.
I do buy water from supermarkets though - £1:25 per gallon which includes the container which I fill up time and time again [until the handle breaks usually] seems pretty good value to me.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on 5/8/2016, 15:58

boxerman wrote:
daisy mae wrote:wouldn`t dream of buying water from super markets.
No I wouldn't either - I have better things to dream about.
I do buy water from supermarkets though - £1:25 per gallon which includes the container which I fill up time and time again [until the handle breaks usually] seems pretty good value to me.

Frank

hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum