Fixing Fiamma Box to Ladder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fixing Fiamma Box to Ladder

Post by NORGIL on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:28 am

Hi all,

I have been given a Fiamma box, no model no on it, its about 75cm x 65cm. There are no fittings with it with it but it shouldn't be that hard to make some. I am wondering about the possibility of fitting it to the ladder on the rear of my Clubman. Has anyone done this ? or are there good reasons why I shouldn't ? I dont envisage carrying great weight in it, more for carrying bulky stuff as the van has no outside storage.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fixing Fiamma Box to Ladder

Post by rogerblack on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 am

Hi, Norman

We have a large Fiamma box which fits on the bike rack.

Although the fittings do attach it to the vertical arms as well as the base, it is the base of the bike rack which takes the weight.

I would suggest that fixing it to the ladder would present two problems - one is that there is nothing supporting the bottom of the box and since it would be sticking out from the ladder there would be an unsupported downwards pivotal force even with just the weight of the box itself and the second is that the back which is made of plastic/glass fibre has some flexibility but would likely distort and possibly break.

If you were able to fabricate some horizontal brackets (or maybe modify some e.g. microwave brackets?) that could be attached to the ladder so that this downward force was supported by the ladder structure rather than the box, with the addition of some load-spreading metal plates on the inside of the back of the box, then you might get away with it.

Bear in mind however that the ladder is not designed to carry loads whilst the vehicle is in transit.  I had at one time thought of making up some sort of transom plate mounting attached to our ladder to carry the outboard motor for my boat but decided it was too risky, especially with the forces encountered whilst jolting along our potholed roads.

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Agree with Roger the box does need a fairly substantial surface to sit on the box itself is not that strong unsupported and would flex and at worst break.
As you state it does not have any model number showing so have you compared it to the ones on either the Fiamma website or E-Bay. It might be a roof box or a Bike Rack box and as you already have the ladder fitting on top might be a option
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 am

You can buy L shaped brackets from Fiamma. 
That's what I did. 
You have to remove the bike rack but it means that the box sits 8" closer to the van.
Pamponi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum