View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by brumbrum on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:47 am

now i have our boxer executive 1995 model is there anywhere on the site where we newbies can get detailed help looking after and preparing the motohome for trips .everything is new and untried so please excuse the lack of knowledge .
brumbrum

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : executive
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: newbie

Post by AndyPK on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:01 am

Welcome from Ely!
When I joined I used the search function to find hints & tips, and also read as many of the forums as possible...... For what it's worth, I found the best thing to do was to get out in the 'van and get to know it with use. That way you soon realise what you need (and what you don't need to take!) with you. Any specific queries, just ask a question in the relevant forum and go from there.....
Cheers!
Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 am

Do you have any booklets that came with the van?, if not they are available I believe from ASOC, which you do have to pay to be a member, otherwise there is a load of info on here , if you cannot find it , just ask.
Don`t just buy what you think you need take essentials and then decide as you go along,

As for the bedding , Duvalay are highly recommended, I did make my own version, a bit pricey but well worth the investment. Pillows.

I made up lists for each area to cover when going on trips, i.e.

Kitchen , pots /pans / kitchen utensils, kettles one electric and one gas, bottle opener, cutlery, dinner set, mugs / cups, glasses. washing up bowl, drainer, dish cloths, kitchen towels,  hand towels, then personnel preference. rolls paper towels

Bathoom, towels, toilet rolls, shower gel etc, toilet fluid, ( loo) I use Aldi`s bio liquid washing in both cassette and flushing tank, as do many others on here, saves having the black bits in the tank.

EHU cable, watering can to top up fresh water tank, or whatever method you prefer, I fill up at home with food grade hose, ( blue ) then just take the watering can, I have a 23ltre wheeled waste water container, for waste water, easier to empty than moving van, tool kit, spare fuses, light bulbs cab, screws, first aid kit, fire ex. smoke and  gas alarm, Angel brand very good, trolley for emptying toilet cassette, I don`t take levellers, never felt the need.

Plenty of gas, fresh water , I have 2 x 5ltr. containers for drinking, water out of the tank for washing, shower, washing up, tea coffee etc.

food ,clothing, books maps, pens, notebook, handy to jot down if forgotten anything, phone/camera, etc.
site books, Britstops handy,

I made a booklet with a page for every area with a grid and tick off when going on a trip, that way I don`t forget anything.

Drive up, switch off, EHU, if using, gas on Have kettle, tea etc ready for when you get there, or open a bottle if preferred, then sit back and enjoy , happy adventures. camper

Probably forgotten a few things but you get the idea.

Folding chairs for outside, table

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : two words repeated)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagabargin on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:09 pm

How organised you are Margret ! I tend to fling things in from where we dumped them for the winter and add to it as we go !by the end of the season I've just about have everything we need ! Only for it to be stored again !hugegrinsrolleyes
Bagabargin

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:46 pm

I would check that all the heating, hook up, cooking and water systems work properly, as well as the fridge on all 3 settings.

The Carver water heaters are known for being difficult to start on gas if the burner is blocked or rusty, so that should be checked with the water tank full and all the air bubbles expelled from the pipes by running the hot/cold taps until they run smoothly.
If it starts and works on gas for 5 minutes, turn off the gas and try it on electricity with the 230V EHU connected.

Test the heating in the same way, noting that our Truma heater would trip the overheat trip if we switched it off without letting the fan run on, which then requires some dismantling of the cupboard to reset it.

Check the fridge on gas and 230V, you should be able to feel the upper vent outside getting warm when they're working, and the cooling fins in the fridge will get cold, but slowly, so be patient.
When the fridge is set to gas, the igniter switch should flicker and you should be able to hear the spark ticking, and see the flame in the gas window at the bottom/back of the fridge.

I wrote some PDF instructions for the people who bought our '95 Exec, which I'd be happy to email if it would help.

EDIT:

Check that the toilet flush pump is working, they get jammed by leaving the pink flush fluid in over winter.
I'd also check the toilet cassette seal, ours leaked into the cassette housing, and it wasn't nice to have to clean it out in French hot weather.

!!!I would also check that the washroom sink drain isn't blocked, ours was and the water overflows where you can't see it onto the plywood floor behind the washroom - I have a suspicion that this may have caused the problems that our buyers discovered after we sold ours, because although I unblocked it, I think that it may have been blocked and overflowing for years.!!!
Unfortunately, the old style sink unit has to be removed to clear the drain, which may be why the later ones were redesigned to allow the bowl to be lifted off.
It's not difficult to remove, just a few screws to reveal the drain bowl, taking care not to strain the tap hoses which remain connected to the unit. You can then put the screws back in and seal round the edges with a bit of Sikaflex or similar.

Last edited by meanchris on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brumbrum on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:59 pm

andypk,daisymae,bagabargin,meanchris,burlingtonboaby,  thank you all for your tips and advice ,i can see i will find a wealth of knowledge here .
i am just about to settle down with all the manuals that came with my purchase so it's a long night ahead .....but i am loving all of it .thank you all
brumbrum

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagabargin on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:11 pm

There's a lot to take in , but it all falls into place as you use one piece of equipment at a time , each motorhome is different and I got  complacent when we got our now second one , thought I knew it all from the first one , but it had completely different bits of equipment and it was like being a newbie again . Anyway welcome to our world and hope you enjoy it as much as we all do studyingBBQ
Bagabargin

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Newbie as well

Post by Neil & Amanda on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi BrumBrum

We have only had on van for 3 weeks, 1998 Executive. 2 trips so far.

1st to a Caravan Club site, only 30 miles away. Just back from the second at about 100 miles away in a field, with a toilet.

Its fun finding out what fits where & how to change things from 12v to gas & then 240volts.

The only bits on the van that I can't fathom are 2 hinged brackets on the back of the lounge seats... absolutely no idea what they are for.

Don't make my mistake when I tried the shower.... I didn't turn the hot & cold taps off, relied on the trigger & it dripped & wet the removable carpet.

So far its been great. Next trip 1 night wild, 1 night on a CC site & finish off on a CC certified location. 

Have fun.

Neil & Amanda
Neil & Amanda
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:23 pm

Neil & Amanda wrote:Hi BrumBrum

We have only had on van for 3 weeks, 1998 Executive. 2 trips so far.

1st to a Caravan Club site, only 30 miles away. Just back from the second at about 100 miles away in a field, with a toilet.

Its fun finding out what fits where & how to change things from 12v to gas & then 240volts.

The only bits on the van that I can't fathom are 2 hinged brackets on the back of the lounge seats... absolutely no idea what they are for.

To push the seat back away from the wall at the bottom, and thus make it more comfortable.

Don't make my mistake when I tried the shower.... I didn't turn the hot & cold taps off, relied on the trigger & it dripped & wet the removable carpet.

It might be because the trigger was resting on the shower head bracket or the wall behind, which cracks it open a fraction

So far its been great. Next trip 1 night wild, 1 night on a CC site & finish off on a CC certified location. 

Have fun.

Neil & Amanda

Have fun indeed, it's great. up!

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brumbrum on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Neil and Amanda ,its great to have fellow newbies to bounce off in these our baby steps into a new motorhome world .My wife Ann and i (Bill) are preparing for our first trip and look forward to it with nervous excitement.
Since taking ownership i have been pouring over the handbook of our 1995 boxer executive trying to fill my head with all the info but i guess just getting out there is the best way .
Heres to many happy days and new adventures

cheers to all on this great forum

bill & Ann
brumbrum

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:29 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from Leicestershire wave.

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Bagabargin wrote:How organised you are Margret ! I tend to fling things in from where we dumped them for the winter and add to it as we go !by the end of the season I've just about have everything we need ! Only for it to be stored again !hugegrinsrolleyes
Apart from fresh food/ clothes my van is ready to go all the time, I use all the year round, haven`t the space to store in the house. habit I suppose I like lists, just in case anything needs replenishing. hugegrins
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brumbrum on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 am

meanchris i would love that pdf file please ,can i also ask when you arrive on site without a hook up must you stay on 12 volt power ,i apologise for really basic questions

bill
brumbrum

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil & Amanda on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi BrumBrum

With no electric hook up the fridge will have to be on gas, the 12v only works whilst the engine is running.

With the gas running the hot water, fridge & cooker the 12v battery is only used for the water pumps & lights so it lasts for ages.

regards
Neil
Neil & Amanda
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Beware as I found out this week, using the water heater on gas runs away with the gas, I`ve only used the hot water before on electric. with fridge on, hot water on, (and the space heater on only for a couple of hours if that)

used 1kg of gas, bottle ran out, I did weigh bottle before using. was trying appliances out before a trip.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil & Amanda on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi daisy mae, thanks for the warning about the gas.

Regards
Neil
Neil & Amanda
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi brumbrum and  asof_welcome2

If you haven't yet had a chance to stay over in the motorhome, can I suggest for your first night you try it out on your drive if you have one or else at a very close campsite (or CL/CS if you've joined one or other of the clubs)

That way if anything critical doesn't work, or is forgotten, then you've not got far to go home.  

Once you've figured out how everything works and you're happy you've got everything you need, then you will feel more assured to go further afield.

One tip I would give you is don't buy any fancy gadgets until you've actually found a need for them - I have a garage full of stuff that I was persuaded to buy at motorhome shows, from advice on forums, etc which I don't bother to carry any more.

For example, as well as carrying a hose to fill up when a service point is available, I wanted to be able to keep the fresh water tank filled up without moving off the pitch.  So I bought a 25 litre water carrier.  As I couldn't lift it to pour into the fresh water tank filler, I then bought a 12V submersible Whale pump and extended the lead to fit through the window into the 12V socket in the van.  Then I found I was struggling to carry the 25kg of water any distance so I bought a folding trolley.  All this took up room in the van so I fitted a backbox to the bike rack.

Then I saw the light and got a 10 litre container which I can easily carry and I just make more trips - I need the exercise anyway.  I also made a simple right-angled funnel so I didn't need the pump.  

If I was to start again from scratch, I'd do what several members on here have since recommended - just buy a new plastic watering can and use it only for topping up the fresh water.  Takes up little room, no need for pumps, trolleys, funnels or anything else. Keep it simple!

drinksallround

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

I'm even newer!!

Post by markapp on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi - what a find! Hope to get loads of knowledge on here (maybe also that pdf file I saw referenced!)  smile!
Recently bought a Talbot Talisman Autosleeper and that's what it says on the outside so I have nothing to say exactly what model it is and no manuals or paperwork!

It's a C reg so from 1985 and going to get the engine checked out as it seems to need quite a bit of choke. The previous owner says check the air intake. The inside is immaculate and it has clearly had lots of TLC. The mileage is 62k if that's to be believed. Anyway, would welcome any advice on how I find out the exact model so I can find the instructions. Maybe it has been modified as it has a hook-up (working) as well as gas hob and oven, heater etc (not yet tested). Cheers. Mark
markapp

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper : Talbot Talisman Auto
Vehicle Year : 1985

View user profile http://www.pubinashed.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum