The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just checked the weather forcast...

+2
m8form8
groundhog
6 posters

Go down

Just checked the weather forcast... Empty Just checked the weather forcast...

Post by groundhog Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Spent most of the day trying to render two pillars in our gateway in the rain of course, came in and looked at the forecast for the coming 10 days, two reasonable ones then August, rain, rain, rain, with forecast like that even the sight of Lucy Verasamy giving the bad news can't make me feel better! tap_fingers

Been looking at all inclusive holidays thinking I have a squillion avios to use up, do I really want to sit in a hotel with 800 other people though, no of course I don't. think_smiley_46

I feel Von Smallhousen will be taking an unscheduled Plymouth to Roscoff ferry ride and a drive to SW France in September if God doesn't turn the tap off soon. allthumbz

See you all there. drinksallround
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Just checked the weather forcast... Empty Re: Just checked the weather forcast...

Post by m8form8 Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:56 am

I'm starting to think we might go early to escape the weather here too. Had planned another Greece trip for September but can see us going in August although the ferry prices more during school holidays. Shame had thought Wales again this summer but like the last time we thought about it, we only did that too as wet wet wet. shrugg
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Just checked the weather forcast... Empty Re: Just checked the weather forcast...

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 am

Looks like us northerners will have the rain sodden sites to ourselves this August then .
I was working on my van and property during this recent spell of good weather, bad timing or what.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 am

Actually I spent April working on my boat out in Greece and weather great, launched on 1st May and had a month of high winds and torrentual rain by June it was better weather again. But ferry booked to come home then. Mainly why we said we might as well go in September again this year see if its any better then. Not only the UK where weathers not as it used to be, met some folks on the ferry who had been to Croatia in a motorhome, said it had been bad there too. Although last good long summer I remember in the UK is many many years ago. Remember the standpipes for water then? hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:12 am

Yep, We lived in Fife & Argyll, we used to have all three seasons in one day.
Seriously though the seasons have gone to pot, just had three weeks of nice hot summer weather and just we are loading the van to head of to Rosemarkie the weather changes back into autumn.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 am

Is September a viable time to go to France ? Have been thinking of a few weeks starting as soon as the school holidays are over. Do most sites not close down in mid September ? Does the Aire system function all year or do they turn off the lecky / water etc. 

As you can tell we have not ventured out of the UK in ours yet.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:52 am

France is fine in September, we had no problem in November on a trip home from Greece then. And some go in winter to ski, I think aires that turn off water are more likely in seasonal northern france areas.. Not many have lecky, but that never bothers us. up!
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:33 am

NORGIL wrote:Is September a viable time to go to France ? Have been thinking of a few weeks starting as soon as the school holidays are over. Do most sites not close down in mid September ? Does the Aire system function all year or do they turn off the lecky / water etc. 

As you can tell we have not ventured out of the UK in ours yet.

We're probably going in the first two weeks of September, as we normally do every year.

The weather is often better then than it is in June when we also go every year.

We keep remarking that it feels as though the seasons have shifted back a couple of months, so June is now a cold windy spring month, and September is a warmer summer month.

I recommend the mid to lower West coast and, for example the Ile d'Oleron as smashing places to visit at that later time of year, you might bump into us. allthumbz
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:00 am

Thanks m8form8,

meanchris , Thanks for that, that's the area we were thinking of going to.  We were thinking of a gentle amble down the coast on a more or less stay as long in one place as we are enjoying ourselves basis, as opposed to drawing up a full scale plan of attack. Who knows, our paths may well cross.  
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:24 pm

So might ours cross as well, an excellent time to go to that area, we tend to head south until we find the sun and warmth but last year never went further South than the Loire the weather was so perfect.... some days we drove as far as 20 minutes away hugegrins

Cracking area, we have been several times and never stayed in the same place twice yet. Towards the end of September some things do close but it is not an issue, all the sites and aires are still open but joyously they are just not full of people fighting for spaces!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:14 pm

I was only going to take 2 bottles of single malt, looks like I had better get half a dozen !
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Git yersel a case and don't be mean, Glenmorangie is nice, hope to visit their distillery next month
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Dreadful rubbish. Only fit for cleaning drains! snigger

Has to be Islay to get me excited. hugegrins

Have you tried Finlaggan? It's not easy to find, but (relatively) cheap, and although no-one seems to know its origin (the bottlers are obviously not letting on) it's thought to be a young Lagavulin. It's certainly very nice, and after a couple of sips it would be difficult to tell whether or not it's Ardbeg.

Dave content

P.S. For anyone travelling to Belgium, we found it there for €16 per 70 ml bottle. Can't be bad!!!!

P.P.S. If there is such a thing as a bad single malt, I've yet to find it. Like many things though - it's all down to individual taste and preference. winks
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Since my bank has just decided to advise me that I may have to pay them to bank with them, I am very seriously considering buying a barrel (or 2) of the stuff. i would rather pay to store the barrel than pay the bank to store my money.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Remember its cheaper tax on spirits in Belgium and Luxembourg than here normally. hugegrins
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:11 pm

Plymouth to Roscoff on 28th August is looking good to me then somewhere but will definitely be calling in to the Hotel Grenettes on the Isle de Re. Not somewhere you would expect but they have a CL type site, a super pool and tennis courts you can use and last year it was empty apart from us and one german van!  It is close to the plage sablouses, not the best beach but certainly acceptable and super location if you are a cyclist! We planned to stay the night and ended up stopping for four nights last time up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:37 pm

Dover Calais booked 25th August now with a gap to get to Bari Italy for the 16th of September to go to Greece. camper boat Brought it forward a week or so as cold and wet here. rainyday
Wont be back til ? Maybe November depending  how we feel only booked one way at Dover. had_idea
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Have a great trip we are waiting for the weather forecast before deciding to go or not but will be same day as you if we do
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down