Been for a "Dekko"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Been for a "Dekko"

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:28 am

Well I've been to have a closer look at the sad little bus and met her owners. I got a nice feeling for her as soon as I stepped inside, ok she was in a bit of an untidy state, but I can see past that and visualize her as she would look after a good old clean and refurb. Same on the outside she's been parked under trees for 12 months since she last went out and has a good covering of lichen and muck all over her, but that will all come off with a good clean.
I am in negotiation with the owners now, so I'm hoping that we can reach an agreement! If not, well it will be a shame, but after all there are plenty more around for sale. Wish me luck!
Dave
davtherav

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Been for a "Dekko"

Post by roli on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:51 am

Good luck in your purchase

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Good Luck Dave, hope you get her.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:56 pm

How are you at welding, stripping down the braking system replacing the clutch and that's the easy bit.
Have you had the van on a ramp to check the underneath? Does it run, I've read your thread and really hope your not buying  a pig  in a poke.
Like some of the other forum members I've had my fair share of buckets to work on in years gone by when I was able to get under a van. 
I've had some real rusty oid vans over the years, however  I was always able to get them started and test driven before any money was handed over. Cash in hand in those days.
I look forward to reading how your negotiations got on and hope the van is all your looking for.
Good luck Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm

This may be of use to to you [if you haven't read it already]
http://www.talbotoc.com/don-t-buy-a-dodgy-talbot-a-guide-for-buyers-t7386.html

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:14 pm

think_smiley_46 I suppose if you want a project and have the time and space to spare I would think the combination of Autosleeper and Talbot could be an interesting project.
We had Fiat and Talbot vans at the roadside , they are both seval vans but the Talbots seemed to fair better than the Fiats. I think the Talbots were 2.5 Diesel but the Fiats were 1.9 Turbo  Diesels.
A Talbot based motorcaravan wont have had the white van man treatment.  Good luck and keep us posted with progress.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:52 pm

daisy mae wrote:Good Luck Dave, hope you get her.
I'll keep you posted, and thanks
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Been for a "Dekko"

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:How are you at welding, stripping down the braking system replacing the clutch and that's the easy bit.
Have you had the van on a ramp to check the underneath? Does it run, I've read your thread and really hope your not buying  a pig  in a poke.
Like some of the other forum members I've had my fair share of buckets to work on in years gone by when I was able to get under a van. 
I've had some real rusty oid vans over the years, however  I was always able to get them started and test driven before any money was handed over. Cash in hand in those days.
I look forward to reading how your negotiations got on and hope the van is all your looking for.
Good luck Boaby
Welding nope, any other mechanic jobs ok (I was a vehicle mechanic in the army many moons ago and also a partner in a garage when I left for civvy street) No, but I crawled under with a torch for a look-see and was well impressed by the lack of nasty stuff, some surface rust on spring hangers but nothing serious. Not had it started yet, needs battery fetching by owner, but before any transfer of money, I will satisfy myself. You can get a good feeling of folk you know, just by talking to them, owners are local folk and I feel them to be trustworthy. Anyway, thanks for your input Boaby, I'll keep you informed. (I am having difficulty getting photos downloaded here but I'll persevere!)
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm

boxerman wrote:This may be of use to to you [if you haven't read it already]
http://www.talbotoc.com/don-t-buy-a-dodgy-talbot-a-guide-for-buyers-t7386.html

Frank
Thanks Frank, a very interesting article indeed.
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Dave 418 wrote:think_smiley_46 I suppose if you want a project and have the time and space to spare I would think the combination of Autosleeper and Talbot could be an interesting project.
We had Fiat and Talbot vans at the roadside , they are both seval vans but the Talbots seemed to fair better than the Fiats. I think the Talbots were 2.5 Diesel but the Fiats were 1.9 Turbo  Diesels.
A Talbot based motorcaravan wont have had the white van man treatment.  Good luck and keep us posted with progress.
Thanks Dave and I will.
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Good to see your remaining up beat about your impending purchase and your not put off with working on your van.
Many years since I used to clean the Army trucks with kerosene and cotton waste for the annual REME inspection.
I genuinely hope its the van for you and everything is working just fine ,I'm sure  the lads and lassies on the forum will offer as much help and guidance as possible .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum