Executive gas bottle auto change anyone ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Executive gas bottle auto change anyone ?

Post by ekka on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Well I've hit my first problem, and wonder if anyone can help, ran out of gas then discovered I had to manhandle both bottles out of the locker, swap their places, then reconnect the full one, sods law it was raining, and half way through cooking dinner.  On closer inspection there is very little room to have two separate pigtails one from each bottle, to be connected to a manual or autochangeover valve, has anyone achieved that, or managed to squeeze in a two bottle refillable system, aka Gaslow or Gasit, many thanks.
ekka

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Executive gas bottle auto change anyone ?

Post by roli on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 am

With these small lockers on the Executive and Talisman Vans its much easier on the knuckles to fit a pair of 6kg GasIt or similar refillable cylinders and yes its been done by many and the method I would choose.
I am fairly certain there are photos on the forum somewhere or failing that the Mk1 or Classic Nuevos have a similar sized locker look out for photos of them also.
There is space under the floor to fit a smallish tank (about 20ltrs - similar volume to both the above)and this has been done on these vans

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 am

I have two 6kg Calorlites in my locker but don't have to remove them to swop over regulator. I have a braided Gaslow hose with thumbscrew regulator. I just detach from one and screw on to the other.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:13 am

I thought of the autochange system on our Rienza. After thinking about it you would have to check the bottles to se if one had run out or wait till they both run out. rolleyes Also the cost of a braided pigtail with a thumbscrew saved messing with the pipes too much. I will swap to a pair of re-fillable bottles later but for now the occasional shuffle of bottles is cheaper.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ekka on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:05 am

Currently in my van there is only one pigtail connected to the regulator, obviously if the connected bottle runs out there is no quick or easy way to reconnect the other one in my particular van due to the fixed pipework that intrudes into the space of the second bottle, this wouldn't be such an issue depending on time of day, or prevailing weather conditions, but a change over valve that I've always had in previous vans makes this a simple task, one leaves the "service" cylinder turned on, and the spare full one "off"  then once the service cylinder becomes empty it's a simple matter of just turning the changeover valve to the "spare" cylinder, and turning it on, this takes two minutes to do whatever the time of day / weather etc, the then empty one can be removed at your leisure,  my question is whether there is enough room to facilitate fitting a changeover valve, and the extra pigtail needed, all looks pretty tight to me though, hence my question had anyone actually managed it.
read
ekka

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by George.. on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi we have 2 x 6 k blue gas cylinders in our Gatcombe locker. I fitted a manual change over system, two pigtails to a regulator with gauge. Bit tight but handy if raining.
George
George..

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile http://www.stoppsblog.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 am

think_smiley_46 Maybe a manual change over would be worth thinking about. Our Rienza has a regulator mounted on the back wall of the gas locker. I assume I would need a change over tap and second pigtail after the regulator. Any one done this could you post some pictures if its not too much trouble.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by George.. on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi, this is the manual set up i installed. Just shut empty cylinder and open full. The little hanging "in use" sign is just a reminder as I shut gas off when not using.
Good luck
George
George..

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile http://www.stoppsblog.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi George, I thought youre gas locker looked bigger than mine until I realised you are using smaller butane bottles. I am using two 6kg propane that fill the locker a bit more. I can see how you have done it and in theory all I need is a change over tap and two pigtails. More sussing and boggling. A friend of mine has one 6kg and one 3.9 re-fills fitted by gaslow .
I gave up on butane when we came away from trailer tenting and struggling to boil a kettle on cold days. cold

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Biglol on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:13 pm

I have fitted a 6k refillable Gaslow bottle, so I now have 1 red and 1 yellow bottle.  I try to start a trip with the Gaslow and only use the red bottle until I can refill the yellow. I bought the Gaslow so we could spend more time in Europe. Refilling the Gaslow in Europe is not a problem, but replacing a red bottle is almost impossible.  Changing the bottles over just means turning one bottle off and turning the other on.

Biglol

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive GLS
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile http://www.ljbarber.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum