Going for a "dekko"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Going for a "dekko"

Post by davtherav on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:39 pm

I was out the other day walking with my Grandson and I spied a very unhappy looking girl sitting in a garage car park, a AS Talisman GL with a L plate so 1993. She looks so sorry for herself dirty and not cared for. I got thinking about a winter project to bring her back to life.
I've been in touch with the owner of this Talisman, had a long chat on the 'phone. Owner has had it since 2003 and done a lot of European travels with no trouble. Owner is the 2nd owner.  Says that a relative is an MOT Inspector and always did regular servicing and testing including timing belt renewal. Mileage is in the top end of the 90K's, (diesel engine) The motor home has been parked up for a number of years since the owners bad health, occasionally started up but not driven. I shall be looking underneath for rust at wheel arches, front step/sills, brake pipes. Exhaust condition and tyres. Inside I'm not so sure what to be expecting or what to be looking for either really, except for the smell and indication of damp.
Anyway any advice would be very welcome, I'm going to see it tomorrow some time, I'll take some pics then.
I have no idea about the value, which is a worry. I see incredible prices on-line, never less than £5K. and sometimes over 12!!
Dave
davtherav

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Going for a "dekko"

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:14 pm

If it was me I would take a damp meter and check everywhere for damp, behind settees, in cupboards , inside lockers including under the seats, in kitchen cupboard, monocoques are renowned for not  leaking as the bodies are all in one, however, windows, skylights ,can leak if sealant needs redoing,  water pipes can come adrift , check shower area. Sorry just reread your post and you mentioned damp so ignore my advice. I would think essential to get gas and electrics checked out, also fridge, maybe will need new batteries, habitation as well as vehicle, check for delamination, floor in front of kitchen sink especially, these vans are very well made, and have wood not plastic, sounds horrendous but really it isn`t, if the upholstery isn't to your liking, use throws, check blinds, curtain fittings are still available if required, that's a minor point, inside you make it as you want it, spares are available as lots of models use the same items.

Soneone more experience  will add to this, I am sure.

Good luck, these vans do hold their price, they scrub up well, with TLC  she will be lovely, and a van to be proud of., you may get it at a bargain price.
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post by davtherav on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:01 pm

daisy mae wrote:If it was me I would take a damp meter and check everywhere for damp, behind settees, in cupboards , inside lockers including under the seats, in kitchen cupboard, monocoques are renowned for not  leaking as the bodies are all in one, however, windows, skylights ,can leak if sealant needs redoing,  water pipes can come adrift , check shower area. Sorry just reread your post and you mentioned damp so ignore my advice. I would think essential to get gas and electrics checked out, also fridge, maybe will need new batteries, habitation as well as vehicle, check for delamination, floor in front of kitchen sink especially, these vans are very well made, and have wood not plastic, sounds horrendous but really it isn`t, if the upholstery isn't to your liking, use throws, check blinds, curtain fittings are still available if required, that's a minor point, inside you make it as you want it, spares are available as lots of models use the same items.

Soneone more experience  will add to this, I am sure.

Good luck, these vans do hold their price, they scrub up well, with TLC  she will be lovely, and a van to be proud of., you may get it at a bargain price.
Best regards,
Margaret
Thank you Margaret for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it
Dave
davtherav

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Going for a "dekko"