Polishing hab area floor:what with ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Polishing hab area floor:what with ?

Post by Quilter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 am

The dark wood effect flooring in our 2014 Broadway is looking dull and dusty. Washing it makes it look dull and slightly less dusty. We have a long runner over it in the sitting area and 2 rugs by the door and kitchen area.

I don't want high gloss but do want it to look a little less neglected. I'm not sure whether it is laminate or vinyl flooring and, since I don't have either of these floors at home, am not sure what is the best product to achieve this effect.

What do others do please ?
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Polishing hab area floor:what with ?

Post by Paramedic on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi Quilter, the wood effect floor feels ever so slightly rough to the touch that appears to give it's overall dull (non reflecting) finish despite cleaning. Assume your Broadway came with removable carpets that cover the entire floor all but a sliver around the edges?

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:23 am

Yes, that's right. We took the carpets up because we prefer easily removable runners and mats. I don't bring a vacuum cleaner on trips and cleaning fitted carpets with dustpan and brush raises a lot of dust. Easier to take the mats outside and beat them.

I think you're saying don't do anything other than brush and wash  - ?  A man after my own heart ! Thanks.
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:41 am

Cedar polish works well, or I swear by  Shark polish on all hard flooring, easy to apply, non slip and lasts a long time, I use on oak flooring, which is  in hall, dining and lounge, so on some hard used  areas, on laminate in craft room,
 So will go on all floors even stone, which I have yet to try in kitchen.

I have  a hand held vacuum in my van, works well and no dust raised, it is rechargeable.
Hope this is of some help, dark flooring especially, looks great when it has  a sheen on it.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 am

I've not heard of Shark polish daisy mae.  I'll have a look in our sells-everything hardware shop this morning. Anything with the words " easy to apply" and " long-lasting" gets my vote.

We've got a selection of small vacuum cleaners we've bought over the years but not found they repay the space they take up. Its not a big van and, once the rugs are out, going round with a dustpan and my small French child's sweeping brush ( long handle) is quick and easy. I have a 1 inch Poundshop paintbrush which is perfect for getting grot out of those awkward spaces like round the bed legs and between fridge and unit.

Thanks
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:27 am

Quilter wrote:  . . . perfect for getting grot out of those awkward spaces like round the bed legs . . .
Morning Quilter

Pull the bed bases out a bit and there's no longer an awkward little space! up!

(I'm missing something here I think?? No doubt I shall find out in a minute! hugegrins )

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:41 am

Can't recall on our previous Broadway EK how many sections of removable fitted carpet there was. Probably twice a year took them outside for a good bashing to remove the dust and wiped the floor. Other times use 12 volt vacuum cleaner to pick up debris. Because so little of the floor is visible (as with our current Broadway) we don't have an issue as to how it looks. Where you use rugs, is there potential of a tripping hazard where they are not fastened to the floor?

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:55 am

Quilter wrote:I've not heard of Shark polish daisy mae.  I'll have a look in our sells-everything hardware shop this morning. Anything with the words " easy to apply" and " long-lasting" gets my vote.

We've got a selection of small vacuum cleaners we've bought over the years but not found they repay the space they take up. Its not a big van and, once the rugs are out, going round with a dustpan and my small French child's sweeping brush ( long handle) is quick and easy. I have a 1 inch Poundshop paintbrush which is perfect for getting grot out of those awkward spaces like round the bed legs and between fridge and unit.

Thanks
Shark Polish is made by the same firm that does Shark vacuum cleaners, advertised on TV they also do steam cleaners , floor polishes etc, I have the vacuum, steam cleaner and the floor cleaner/polisher by them, bought from Costo as Shark are an American firm and make very good products, I bought on recommendations from S.I.L.  the polish you can only buy on line not in a Costco warehouse, you just spray on the floor in front of machine and then run machine over it spraying as you  go, a bit like using a vacuum cleaner only easier, no need for machine as you  could spray an area of the floor and use a good soft microfiber cloth and working backwards to the door will do your van a treat, leave for about an hour before heavy use, it will protect against dirt. doesn`t take long, and just top as needed, if you get a dull patch while doing it leave it, do not go over until the rest of the floor is dry then redo. there are lots of info on line, floor has to look wet and then leave, polish goes a very long way and will last for ages, no I don`t work for them, just a very satisfied customer who likes their great products, that does what they say on the tin.
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:35 am

The bed legs are just set the right distance from the bed base to make getting a brush behind them impossible, Dave. They are as far out as safety decrees though and I have the divided toes to prove it. I could pull them further out to brush behind but I'm all for back-friendly options.  Unlike our previous Bessacarr they don't fold under the bed base.

We've never had a whiff of a problem with slipping or tripping but the rugs are rubber backed and sit very flat. We spend over 5 months a year in the van for periods that vary from two weeks to 3 months.  My standards are not high but even I feel the need to remove grit, crumbs and sand on a twice a week (-ish ) basis. There are 4 bits of carpet provided by AS. Three of them are easy to remove but the centre bit requires lifting of the bed bases.  I suspect too that the carpet is not the most hard wearing. A short time after we got ours it was already flattened in heavy wear areas and needed a domestic vacuum cleaner to revive it. Putting it back requires getting the poppers in just the right places and is not easy.

I'm on the case for Shark Margaret; just been into town but it started to rain and so I came home pdq before it started in earnest. 

Thanks all.

Last edited by Quilter on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:51 am

Quilter wrote:We've never had a whiff of a problem with slipping or tripping but the rugs are rubber backed and sit very flat.
For those interested, we used the same system in our previous van, and fully agree with Quilter's "diagnosis". up!

We got our rugs at a show, and have seen dealers with them at most shows we have visited. They had various lengths of offcut from what looks like very heavy duty stair carpet off a roll, but clearly isn't since it is so heavy and durable.

We found a long enough piece to go from front to rear for only a tenner. It was ideal, and dead easy to take out and thrash to within an inch of its life when it got a bit mucky. hugegrins 

I think we must be even more bone idle (Whoops - I mean back friendly winks ) than Quilter. Our carpets get removed and beaten once a year, whether they need it or not, and the 240 volt, £13 hand held vacuum cleaner does the job in between. It's a Beldray but they have stopped making them for some reason, which is a pity because the "suck" on them is fantastic.

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:54 am

Dave, we got the same type of vacuum from Tesco. We saw similar ones at a show (great if you need to suck up lentils or bowling balls rolleyes) at £40, think ours was about half of that. It seems that the same basic vacuum is being imported from China and a lot of different companies then badge them. Does a great job on the carpets but it also gets extraneous bits from the places you don't want extraneous bits  Whistle1

We've left the original carpets down, they almost look as if they were made to fit snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Those vacuums do get hot though, and very quickly! Maybe that's why the more reputable suppliers have stopped badging them??

This is the one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beldray-Hand-Held-Vacuum-Red/dp/B009E3I9PW

This looks like a reasonable alternative. No need to use it in upright mode if you don't want to.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Upright-Handheld-Cleaner-Filtration/dp/B00G46LWB0/ref=pd_lpo_79_bs_lp_tr_t_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X5GSREDQX1J58M6CEVH1

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Dave, that's the one we got, the Vonhaus. Don't expect it will last for ever but it doesn't get a huge workout doing the van.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum