What is the best biscuit to have with Tea

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What is the best biscuit to have with Tea

Post by TrickyWoo on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:22 pm

steamdrivenandy wrote:
dbroada wrote:Political Armageggedon takes so long to get to my level, biscuits are much more important.

You're surely not referring to the effects of Bixit?
Not to be confused with breakfasting on ReadyBrexit!

I've got a dragon & I'm not afraid to use it!

TrickyWoo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 pm

dbroada wrote:as quoted above the hob Nob is my biscuit of choice but if you are into dunking then I'm afraid you deserve a soggy bottom of the cup. I sometimes accept a chocolate digestive for a change.

I quite like a custard cream or a Garibaldi but rarely buy them.

I guess this shows I am not a hard core biscuit man as I require the addition of something, chocolate, cream or dead flies to attract me and I am definitely a lapsang souchong man when it comes to tea.
Hi Dave

Missed the replies here as I have been getting ready for  2 weeks away.

I do like a Garibaldi but its just not a dunker more an afternoon tea snack. As for the Lapsang souchchong tea variety I have to agree there is no place for fancy teas when talking about the Great British cuppa content
Mike1953

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:11 pm

Jaytee wrote:Hmm scratch head Hobnobs do take some beating for a good dunk but you have to time it perfectly by detailed calculation of the temperature of the tea Vs depth of dunk to time inserted. Chocolate bourbons are also a good dunk but inclined to flavour the tea. As I have absolutley no self control and find it quite easy to consume virtually a whole packet of hobnobs or bourbons I do find it necessary from a health point of view (as well as post hobnob excess nausea) to stick with rich tea biccy's and 'Yorkshire' tea hugegrins
Hi Jaytee

I can see by your calculations you have grasped the art of serious biscuit dunking, you could add wind sheer and velocity of dunk to your list t5o become a grand master.

No need to thank me for my tips, I just do what I can to enlighten . bow
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:21 pm

You forgot spacial awareness and the random sheer bloody mindedness factor.
steamdrivenandy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:29 pm

meanchris wrote:I am a hardcore biscuit man, or rather, I was a hardcore biscuit man until I just managed to get a T2D diagnosis with an HbA1c test of 48 - bang on the lower limit for a "diagnosis" (don't start me off on a "risk averse catch-all" statistical medicine rant - censored! )

When I say "hardcore" we were talking one packet of biscuits a day, at least, sometimes more or even interspersed with a full family sized pack of Maltesers or Revels if SWMBO was away.

In pursuit of losing the "visceral fat", that (apparently) causes T2D in middle aged blokes like me, I've cut right down on the biscuits and chocolate, which now makes me even more eligible (through reasons of "the craving") to pontificate on the "best biscuit", so:

1. Aldi fruit shortbread, at about 40 pence a packet, they're delicious, crunchy and with a nice "properly cooked" taste.

2. Any Rich Tea, I don't care what make or how much, they're nice satisfiers of "the craving".

3. Digestives, also satisfy "the craving", but with the added bonus of topping up your sagging cholesterol levels.

4. Garibaldi, - no, scratch that - Bourbons, I once survived on family sized packets of "Basics" Tesco Bourbons for about 12 weeks while going through a separation from my 2nd jailer wife, so I have a fondness for them.

5. Garibaldi - Mmmmmmmm, the raisins, the crunchy biscuity pastry stuff, the wind for hours afterwards, what more could a man want?

6. I could go on - for ever - don't start me on chocolate, nougat, Haribos et al, (as well as statistical medicine).

lol4 lol4 lol4

P.S. I lost about 10lbs of my 11st 8lbs and my HbA1c dropped to 43, in the "at risk" or "pre diabetic" range - did I mention not to start me off about risk averse culture and statistical medicine? innocent

Chris

T2D the curse of the biscuit eating man smile!   Natures way of saying stop enjoying life as we know it.

As for the unmentionable risk averse culture and statistical medicine? innocent I was told I was borderline pre high blood pressure:bouncing: what does that mean I ask you. Doctors Doctors...dont get me started.

Your biscuit dunking knowledge puts you up there among the grand Masters although if I may be so bold as to say that your biscuit dunking became a bit of a hobby. gimmefive 

For me it is still a sport and as such needs to be trained for and a few stretching exercises pre-dunk. You could have made the grade with a little bit more dedication but I can see that you had a few distractions along the way broomstick none the less a great effort and I am definitely going to try the  Aldi Fruit Shortcake on my next voyage.
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:34 pm

willy eckerslike wrote:Mcvitties dark chocolate digestives and no dunking ! Two per cup and three if I want a guilt trip.
Willy

The guilt factor the biscuit Police police  I guess we should be talking about our biscuits on the dark net not out in the open handshake

Last edited by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:46 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote:With the country in the throes of political Armageddon and on the brink of financial suicide, its really life affirming to know that there is a body of educated opinion that can focus on the really important things in life.
Heartfelt thanks to all contributors to this thread. Keith
Maybe if people in power had taken more time to understand the art of tea drinking and biscuit dunking instead of knocking back endless discounted bottles of Champagne in the commons bar in 1975 we wouldn't have been in this dilemma now.  drinksallround  Bonjour
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:51 pm

steamdrivenandy wrote:
dbroada wrote:Political Armageggedon takes so long to get to my level, biscuits are much more important.

You're surely not referring to the effects of Bixit?

Boris fell out with Gove, Gove fell out with Cameron and nobody will sit with Corbyn.

They could learn a lesson or 2 from this thread........stop messing around and have a nice cup of tea with your friends and establish the meaning of life.  

Time for a nice Rich Tea and a cuppa and reflect on life after Bixit drinksallround
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 pm

I am not sure if I should mention this here......but I tried RedBush tea today and it made a great strong tea and apparently its caffeine free.

Should I be placed in the stocks and have vegetables thrown at me: innocent
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:38 pm

And whipped with camellia bush twigs.
steamdrivenandy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Tea is like Lager, totally unfit for human consumption. Real men drink coffee, or a proper ale, or a single malt.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:48 pm

NORGIL wrote:Tea is like Lager, totally unfit for human consumption. Real men drink coffee, or a proper ale, or a single malt.
Norgil

I was offering Tea and biscuit advice, bearing my soul about Red Bush Tea, the impending doom of being placed in the stocks and you stab me in the heart with the mention of coffee confused3

Et Tu Brute then fall Caesar.oh_blast! 

In a previous younger life I have sampled the odd Ale....Old Peculiar from a cask my number one.

Coffee the scourge of the High St these days...non tax payers the lot of them.

A Dram well it would have to be  The Glenlivit 25 years old .

These days though a nice Cup of Tea and a nice Rich Tea Biscuit just hits there spot perfectly.  alittlesecret
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Never been able to understand the crush on coffee. I've got nowt against it and I'll sup some occasionally but tea is the answer, coffee hasn't even asked the question yet.

A dram's OK, but I'm not that bothered, but a good ale from a small brewery is something to be savoured. My favourite at present is Long Blonde by the Long Man Brewery in deepest Sussex but it rarely makes it outside the county boundary. Locally the Salopian Brewery's Oracle is truly excellent.
steamdrivenandy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 am

Mike1953 wrote:
Jaytee wrote:Hmm scratch head Hobnobs do take some beating for a good dunk but you have to time it perfectly by detailed calculation of the temperature of the tea Vs depth of dunk to time inserted. Chocolate bourbons are also a good dunk but inclined to flavour the tea. As I have absolutley no self control and find it quite easy to consume virtually a whole packet of hobnobs or bourbons I do find it necessary from a health point of view (as well as post hobnob excess nausea) to stick with rich tea biccy's and 'Yorkshire' tea hugegrins
Hi Jaytee

I can see by your calculations you have grasped the art of serious biscuit dunking, you could add wind sheer and velocity of dunk to your list t5o become a grand master.

OK, wind sheer and velocity taken into account:  wind sheer checked over several windy days has little effect if some of the tea has been drunk however the effect on a full cup is quite severe with a distinct stress line noticeable on the biscuit at the point of dunk which can lead to unplanned failure. This is presumably caused by the greater temperature differential. Velocity though is a different matter scratch head, that varies disproportionately with the type of biscuit so I will have to report back after further testing hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Jaytee wrote:
Mike1953 wrote:
Hi Jaytee

OK, wind sheer and velocity taken into account:  wind sheer checked over several windy days has little effect if some of the tea has been drunk however the effect on a full cup is quite severe with a distinct stress line noticeable on the biscuit at the point of dunk which can lead to unplanned failure. This is presumably caused by the greater temperature differential. Velocity though is a different matter scratch head, that varies disproportionately with the type of biscuit so I will have to report back after further testing hugegrins
I think it's more to do with density.  Ginger biscuits have a greater density than say a chocolate digestive, if the operator is dense enough to pass the point of saturation then you need a spoon to provide a corrective measure and bring the project back on course.
Rich..
RML

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:42 am

An update today from a BBC news item on morning TV (tea V)

An institution IGUS have conducted an experiment on our own favoured subject. Believe it or not they tackled the question that has perplexed us for year's.

The outcome is that the Rich Tea biscuit is the best biscuit to dunk in your tea. Their test included a robotic arm and hand which grasped and dunked a variety of biscuits into tea. This was done at the same angle and depth each time.

They say the Rich Tea performed best in their test and recommend that the best time dunking was 15 seconds.

So get brewing and get your stop watches back out and remember don't be a rebel just 15 seconds dunking please.

topmarks
Mike
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:52 am

But have they any answer to the stealth biscuits that show no visible cracks but split on you  as the extra weight of tea is absorbed and the biscuit softens? Destructive crack testing isn't a sensible answer, I'm left wondering whether portable biscuit x-ray testing is the way to go.
steamdrivenandy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike1953 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:20 am

Portable x-ray is an answer at the point of use but I think we need a storage and stowage solution.  I suspect that the Rich Tea biscuit is constructed to the highest specifications and tested at source pre package for fatal hidden flaws .

Auto Sleeper could have a special storage facility built in to to its new vehicles based upon the safety and shape features of natures own @Egg@.

The egg is dropped plonked,stamped and shuffled around then transported by road and train then delivered if need be by van drivers to your door and they have an incredible flight safety record for a bird that does not fly.

I would also suggest that gyroscopic stability be looked at in the storage compartment to ensure safe storage until the tourer stops and dunks.

It should work well but I would be happy to see the x-ray on board as an accessory to avoid the now documented "stealth biscuit".

When your hostess shows you on board your craft they could point out the exits and the newly acquired safety featured storage compartment  look here
Mike1953

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:48 am

Between 2011 and 2013 we had a 'sillygang', started by a member who has since left the forum (see thread below), I think we have a couple of new members here....

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t1679-sillygang

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Mike1953 wrote:Portable x-ray is an answer at the point of use but I think we need a storage and stowage solution.  I suspect that the Rich Tea biscuit is constructed to the highest specifications and tested at source pre package for fatal hidden flaws .

Auto Sleeper could have a special storage facility built in to to its new vehicles based upon the safety and shape features of natures own @Egg@.

The egg is dropped plonked,stamped and shuffled around then transported by road and train then delivered if need be by van drivers to your door and they have an incredible flight safety record for a bird that does not fly.

I would also suggest that gyroscopic stability be looked at in the storage compartment to ensure safe storage until the tourer stops and dunks.

It should work well but I would be happy to see the x-ray on board as an accessory to avoid the now documented "stealth biscuit".

When your hostess shows you on board your craft they could point out the exits and the newly acquired safety featured storage compartment  look here

Your device would surely need a temperature and humidity control to keep the biscuits in perfect conditions together with air bags to mitigate athe effects of an accident or sharp deceleration. The airbags would double as buoyancy aids in the event  of underwater Auto Sleeping. The interior would be mounted on a multi-directional gimbal to preserve equanimity and guarantee correct biscuit presentation to the user at all times. Access to the contents would be via iris recognition, though there would be an option to switch to geranium or lavender if preferred.

I hesitate to suggest fitting solar panels, though a flux capacitor is a must as is a full sustainability package and both systems and voice recording technology, along with hardening to withstand the highest potential impacts.
steamdrivenandy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Sitting her in sunny France I'm very aware that the French don't do 'proper' biscuits. We've been here over three weeks and we've run out of digestives.
Does anyone remember Dunkies ? They were oval shaped, oatmealy beauties that were so say scientifically designed and guaranteed, yes guaranteed, to dunk and not collapse. Haven't seen them for ages.
ps any spare biscuits would be welcomed !

Don
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Dunkies - from Googling, they appear to be an Australian thing, gluten free complete with chocolate hazelnut dipping (Dunkin) sauce, not quite what you had in mind.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:50 pm

I
Paulmold wrote:IBetween 2011 and 2013 we had a 'sillygang', started by a member who has since left the forum (see thread below), I think we have a couple of new members here....

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t1679-sillygang
I missed this first time round, thanks Paul for providing the link to the previous discussion.......... absolutely hilarious   lol4  On a Sunday morning, when I was supposed to be elsewhere  rolleyes I met my pals in our local cafe and we put that record on, on the jukebox..... The B side that is   happyyes

Therefore, the answer to the thread question is........ anything with lots of nuts, it ensures enjoyment  biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:09 am

After discussions with friends of my era it appears they may have been called 'Dunkers' Paul.
More googling reveals 'new' Asda Dunkers - perhaps worth a try.

Don
(It's raining in France now)
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: