Weights - Legend 97 Transit LWB

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weights - Legend 97 Transit LWB

Post by John deHav on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:27 am

I am having some real issues with the London LEZ...They claim they have no details of weight for my 1997 Transit LWB based Legend..They claim it is over 2.5 tons and therefore I will be fined every time I enter the LEZ.. Not funny that's £500.00 or pay them £100.00 per day for going in..I went in there a load of times last year with no problem but last week everything changed and they wrote to me saying I would be charged from now...Does anybody have a clue as to what this weighs?..I have spoken to A/S and they can only tell me that the guy that may know is not back from holiday..My problem is going to be getting a document proving weight..There is no way it will ever conform to Euro 111 emissions as a filter costs £2800.....LEZ answer is to sell it and buy a new one!!....Many thanks...John de Havilland.
John deHav

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weights - Legend 97 Transit LWB

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm

It's several years since I last looked, but I would be very surprised if a '97 Legend is compliant. I checked my '99 2.5l diesel engined Flair when I owned it four or so years ago and it was not compliant. A Legend is significantly heavier than that.

The LEZ is based on GVW, which you should be able to see on your V5 under "Revenue Weight". I very much doubt that this will be under 2.5 Tonnes. Please note that they only care about the maximum permissible weight, not what it actually weighs at the time you are driving it - otherwise they would have to get involved in actually weighing vehicles to find out how much to charge their owners!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Our old '95 Exec 2.5D was definitely not compliant, but our newer '05 Exec 2.8HDi is (I've just double checked).

Although the LEZ is supposed to be all about emissions, mainly requiring a cat and DPF, our van definitely doesn't have a DPF, but is still Euro3 compliant at 3250kG. (In fact we sent off for the German equivalent of the LEZ certification, and we got a Euro5 sticker back on the basis of our number plate. SWMBO's German relatives were quite miffed that we had a green sticker, where their newer Burstner had a yellow one, with its Mercedes 270CDi engine  hugegrins )

If you could fit a passive cat and become compliant, that could be done quite cheaply, but fitting a DPF is another matter, likely to be very expensive.

It all seems a bit illogical and confusing to me.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:07 pm

I agree that it seems to be illogical, but I think they have tried to make the best of the very limited data that they have access to. AFAIK there is no consistent way of recording the emissions control status of a vehicle on the V5, and weights such as MIRO are not there either for all vehicles, so they have gone with what they can check in real time online.

Reading between the lines, I think the appeals/exceptions process is deliberately obscure because they don't want people to even ~think~ about using it! And, when you look at the volumes of vehicles they are processing, you can understand why. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but I think there are underlying reasons related to the cost of administering the system...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:55 pm

I thought the LEZ ratings were due to be tightened about now so maybe that is why you were OK last year but not this. I can't be certain but it was in my mind when I bought my Transit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum