Amethyst

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amethyst

Post by Tokoloshe on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:56 am

I found the top of the gas compartment (inside the van under the long seat) to be very wet yesterday.  No sign of water ingress anywhere and all panels are dry.  After returning from Europe traveling in days of torrential rain in France and sitting out in the rain here in the UK, it was warmer yesterday and I found this damp. Now the gas cupboard is made of metal and I wondered (hoped) this was water which had condensed on the top in a warm and humid atmosphere.  Has anyone else had this problem? or have I got a sneaky leak from goodness-knows-where?
Thanks in advance for any help, Terry
Tokoloshe

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Amethyst

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't know about an Amethyst, as I've never owned one, but in general I've found that gas compartments do get damp simply due to road spray coming up through the dropout vents underneath, and it can often take quite a while for that to completely dry.

In your position I would leave it open for a few hours in the warm dry weather (if we ever get any) and then check it again after heavy rain (but no road travel).
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tokoloshe on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Thank you I will do that.
smile!
Tokoloshe

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Yes - what Mojo said. up!

This may be relevant - I was up at about 5am this morning and was surprised by the amount of condensation on the inside of the van windscreen. It has been standing on the drive for over a week, so it wasn't due to recent occupancy, but it was running down in streams. (By about 8.00am it had disappeared.)

The top of your gas locker would be a similar cold spot, so it may be as simple as that. Vapour laden air hitting a cold surface.

When we had a gas locker there was a bit of carpet stuck on the metal top and side surfaces under the side bench. This would prevent a recurrence if you decide that was the cause.

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tokoloshe on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks Dave, that has put my mind at rest a bit.  The inside top of the gas locker is carpeted, it is this carpet which was wet. I couldn't see ANY way at all that water had found its way in and was getting really worried. I've convinced myself it is condensation now and as I'm off to Spain in it on Thursday I'm hoping it won't re-occur.  Thanks again for your input - much appreciated.
Cheers! Terry
Tokoloshe

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Tokoloshe wrote:The inside top of the gas locker is carpeted, it is this carpet which was wet.
Sorry, but I did not know about the carpet - there is very little chance that condensation will form on a metal surface covered in carpet. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would say if the carpet is wet then the source is likely to be something other than condensation.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tokoloshe on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:27 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Tokoloshe wrote:The inside top of the gas locker is carpeted, it is this carpet which was wet.
Sorry, but I did not know about the carpet - there is very little chance that condensation will form on a metal surface covered in carpet. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would say if the carpet is wet then the source is likely to be something other than condensation.
oh dear

scratch head
Tokoloshe

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Oh dear indeed! so_sad

Just caught up, and unfortunately I agree with Mojo.

Clutching at straws here, but could it be spray driven in through a faulty seal on your gas locker door, or even up through the gas dropout vents?

I would be looking closely at the integrity of the metal locker itself I think. If there is a gap or hole somewhere near the top, water could have got through and been "wicked" by the carpet for quite some distance. You have only noticed the wet at the top, but it might have travelled along the carpet from lower down?

Can't think how else it might have got there - unless you need incontinence pads like some of us geriatric members soon will!!! lol4

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kenj on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:39 pm

My Amertyst had damp under long seat both sides resealed both windows with silicone and that stoped all the damp mono should not leak window seals do fail
kenj

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum