Replacement chassis

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Replacement chassis

Post by mcheenan on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:11 pm

I have a very beloved 22 year old Auto Exec mounted on an equally old Peugot Talbot chassis. The motorhome is in great condition but I am starting to have ongoing problems with the engine, the gearbox, the body work etc on the Talbot. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a newer second hand van and have my motorhome mounted on it - or is this a crazy idea? I'd be grateful for suggestions - reasonable ones, please!
mcheenan

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : AutoSleeperExec
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Replacement chassis

Post by circa75 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm

It may well be crazy, but I'm sure it can be done. All you need is a similar sized and solid chassis cab van as a base - I'd look for German, but I'm biased - and a reputable body shop or man who can.

I'm no expert but things that come to mind are: it's no longer an authentic AS and more of a self build once done, which has various side effects. I imagine you'd have to go through various red tape in terms of passing DVLA requirements for the V5 to be updated... Etc etc...

If the time, money and effort involved plus any of the above doesn't phase you - go for it. Alternatively, sell your current van - I see plenty of Talbots are still on the road, so there's a good market - and upgrade to something you prefer. Much easier!

Unrelated: I've often wondered why you don't see any of the AS monocoque shells available for sale???

Last edited by circa75 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
circa75

Male

Member Age : 19
Auto-Sleeper : None right now
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Anything is possible if you spend enough money. But the real test is whether it's cheaper to do that than to sell it and buy a newer van. My gut feeling is that if you were to DIY it might be a viable thing to do. If you were to pay someone to do it at commercial rates, I doubt it would, by a long way.

I personally don't know for sure, having never tried it, but the evidence that we see on Ebay is that they do occasionally get transplanted. However, I would speculate that this is almost certainly done where a relatively new van has been accident damaged, so the original donor of the body will probably have been bought for next to nothing as an insurance writeoff, and the donor chassis will typically be from a high-mileage builder's van/pickup.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:48 pm

You would need to find a van with the same wheelbase or be able to mount your body relative to the rear wheels of the new van and cut your new van so as to flare in your old body. It must be doable but circa75's point that it will never be an Auto-Sleeper is very valid. After a massive effort what would it's value be.  Whats your van worth at present if the host vehicle has run it's course ! On the other hand if you want a project and a van to keep for life why not have a go.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum