Under the van treatment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Under the van treatment

Post by Fordy on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Autosleeper Talisman which we've noticed has flaking paint on the 'extension' part of the chassis Autosleeper installed (to increase the rear overhang).

I've wire brushed the worst of it off, all the metal work seems sound, just could do with new paint/rust treatment. The Peugeot chassis has a couple of small spot of rust where there are joins etc but the rubberised paint seems to have kept that part intact. 

So I guess the question is does anyone know of someone in the Midlands area who can be recommended by anyone. I would do this myself but I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing and don't have much free time currently. 

Thanks,
Lee
Fordy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Under the van treatment

Post by Gromit on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Waxoil seems as good as anything, and it's cheap.

It is a bit messy to apply though, and can be bought in an aerosol can if you don't need much, or use a brush. Do it in warm weather and pre-heat the can in very hot water, and it goes on very easily
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-HAM6710013-400ml-Waxoyl-Aerosol/dp/B001OXGWJK

Quick and easy enough to replenish if necessary after a yearly inspection. The old remedies are often the best and most reliable.

Dave smile!

P.S. Dinitrol is a similar alternative. More expensive, but possibly better as it dries to a harder film. (Is this better than remaining soft and waxy??) I doubt if there's much difference in the effectiveness if regularly replenished.
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Under the van treatment

Post by TrickyWoo on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:52 pm

As for someone to do it, if it's not too far away for you I use Hogan Bros. In Redditch to look after my 92 Talbot Express based Talisman (it's only about a quarter of a mile from where I work so it's handy for me). They are a family firm, established a long time, who are into older and classic vehicles and tend to know all about the older vans and their ways and the more traditional maintenance techniques, fixes, etc (in their time they've maintained fleets of these older vans when they were the current thing!). They also have motorhomes themselves. Their prices are reasonable too. Just google it for their location and contact details.

I've got a dragon & I'm not afraid to use it!

TrickyWoo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum