The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air Bag Sensor

2 posters

Go down

Air Bag Sensor Empty Air Bag Sensor

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon May 30, 2016 7:20 am

My airbag sensor when off 45 minutes into a journey to the next site. It said "Airbag failed" a short bleeping sound went off and a red icon appeared on the dash. We thought "Oh no!". After a minute it went out and all was normal again. 
Has anyone else had this issue? confused3

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Air Bag Sensor Empty Re: Air Bag Sensor

Post by -mojo- Mon May 30, 2016 11:28 am

I think you'll find that the airbag sensor is usually the bit that makes the airbag go bang - you'll be in trouble if that goes off.

But the wiring on these systems is typically really complicated. On mine, for example, you get a warning light come on if one of the warning lights gets disconnected - if only for a very short time - and then you need a diagnostic computer to turn off the warning light (and it can't pass an MOT with the warning light on).

On a 2014 van you can be pretty much certain that the airbag controller will have logged a diagnostic code giving details of the cause, so if you get someone who knows what they are looking at, they should be able to tell you whereabouts the problem is.

However... you may find that it's just a temporary fault caused - for example - by travelling close to a high power radio transmitter, or some other electrically noisy device. Vehicle electrical systems ~should~ be designed to withstand high levels of electrical interference, but it doesn't always work like that (hence the stories about vehicle remote controls not working in some places).

-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Air Bag Sensor Empty Re: Air Bag Sensor

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon May 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Thanks for that mojo, I am grateful for your advice. A local condition may well have set off the airbag alarm. We have had no problems today. If it happens again we will get it checked out.

Thanks

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down