heavy duty cycle rack

View previous topic View next topic Go down

heavy duty cycle rack

Post by bob&Joy on Fri May 13, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi, we want to buy electric bikes but they are very heavy = perhaps too heavy for normal bike rack, so would like a rack made for a scooter instead of the stainless steel bumper on our clubman ,
Has anyone else got one and do we need a towbar first?
bob&Joy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : clubman gl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: heavy duty cycle rack

Post by Gromit on Fri May 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Fiamma racks are rated at 60kg.

Your bikes are very unlikely to weigh that much, but will you be able to lift them up onto the rack?

Our eBikes weigh 22kg without the batteries and we have just bought a Thule towbar rack. (Halfords were much cheaper than anywhere else we found b.t.w.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw8dzIXnLik

That carrier is rated at 46kg, so just about enough - though there's certain to be quite a big safety margin in these days of instant litigation if it breaks.

First impressions - Why didn't we get one a long time ago? Putting the bikes on is so much easier, and whereas previously it was all but impossible to put a cover on them without a step ladder (and I'm 6' 3") it's now very quick and easy.

Whether it would be worth it if you haven't already got a towbar, only you can decide. content

Dave smile!

P.S. The rather nice young lady in the video must be an optional extra. There wasn't one in the box!! Whistle1
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

bike rack

Post by bob&Joy on Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks for the info, - we haven't got a towbar we were thinking of a back rack instead of the bumper don't know if is possible or if we'd just get a towbar and do what you did, That might be best option.  Supplier of bikes did not recommend using our fiamma bike rack as well as  being a bit high to lift them up to
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Fri May 13, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi Bob&Joy, Dave says it all, deciding factor being the height you need to lift your bikes onto a fiamma carrier fitted to the van. Our carrier's mounted quite high but with batteries removed (as recommend) plus each saddle, bikes weigh just under 19 kg each and compact to fit cover if required. All this made easier due to our bikes being compact folding with 20 inch wheels (Batribike Dash Pro 16) The bikes sit on the carrier with handlebars lowered, total weight 39 kg so well under the max 60 kg. If you were invisiging buying full sized bikes, then a compact design may be more to your liking if you can handle the lift. Regards

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 pm

When we bought our Nuevo last year, I didn't know of the Thule towbar rack described above by Gromit. I'd be hard pressed to decide now.

Our dealer recommended this:
http://www.thefiammacentre.co.uk/fiamma-carry-bike-lift-77-cycle-rack.html

It's very easy to load the bikes on (probably as low, if not lower, than the Thule) but then it has to be wound up. It's certainly not exacting to do so - and indeed, I use a cordless drill with a suitable socket instead of the winder rod which the young lady is holding in the Fiamma advert. I don't think I look as good, however.

The advantage is that there's no additional wiring needed: the bikes when being carried are well above the rear lights.  The AutoSleeper already has the necessary secure fixing locations., but mine was fitted at the factory. The disadvantage is that you don't have a towbar.

I'm pleased with the Fiamma. I had the standard type for 17 years on a Clubman, and another for 10 years on a AutoSleepers VHT, so I have confidence in the product.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri May 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Cymro

Having already got the towbar fitted the choice was made for us, specially as the Thule rack was much cheaper than yours at £300.

Like you however, if starting from scratch I'm not sure which I would have chosen. The Fiamma has a greater load capacity, but the Thule can be removed when not in use. (It goes on and off in seconds.) Is this an advantage? I'm not sure it bothers me either way, but it's something others may want to think about when making a choice.

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior on Sat May 14, 2016 7:51 am

We bought a Westfalia towbar bike rack, very similiar to Gromit's Thule rack, though about £350. It was for our car and drops down horizontally to get into the hatch boot, but will no doubt come in handy in the future, for a pair of ebikes on our van. Note these racks can be heavy, ours is 17kg.

At the moment we have a two bike Fiamma rear rack, and it can be a pain to lift the ordinary bikes onto the back when we are on site using ramps at the rear. A cover is impossible in those conditions, as I am 5' 9" and getting shorter every year! Has anyone heard of a short Masai warrior?  lol4

Pete

Last edited by Masai Warrior on Sat May 14, 2016 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added stuff)
Maasai Warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

heavy duty cycle rack

Post by bob&Joy on Sat May 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks for all your help -we already have a fiamma bike rack but the dealer didn't advise putting on electric bikes for the weight but the idea of taking off the saddles appeals - the bikes are 19kg with batteries so without them and the seats we should be ok. Lifting them up might be a  pain but we will see .
If this doesn't work we will look into putting on a towbar and getting a Thule or something similar. It is good to get so much advice and help. = we are a bit vertically challenged as well and shirinking !!!
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum