Warranty small print

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warranty small print

Post by Paulmold on Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 am

Having just read an article in Practical Motorhome regarding small print of warrantees where it was pointed out that some manufacturers (it named Swift and Auto-sleeper) specify the maximum time abroad beyond which the warranty becomes invalid. I just checked the AS warranty and found this clause  ...''Cover is limited to motorhomes used primarily in the UK. Cover for use outside the UK is limited to 90 days per continuous trip''.

Hope those of you who go abroad for long stretches are aware of this.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warranty small print

Post by Cymro on Thu May 12, 2016 10:57 am

I didn't know that. I'm never going to be affected as we don't go outside the UK for 90 days.
But I'm trying to find a good reason for that clause - and I can't. If a motorhome is poorly built or develops a fault when within the warranty period, then it shouldn't matter where it's used, or for how long. Someone living 365 days a year in UK is covered, but someone spending 90+ days out of UK is not. Why? Wriggle room out of warranty?
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Thu May 12, 2016 11:02 am

Maybe to cover themselves against people buying them who are based abroad but buy in this country.

Can't think if there's a reason why someone would do that, but all I can think of.
Greyhound

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Thu May 12, 2016 11:08 am

Hi wave

Two questions spring to mind:

Why?

and

How would they know?

Since the warranty only covers manufacturing defects anyway I can’t see why it matters where the van is used. I can see why they may not do or pay for repairs outside the UK but refusing a claim assuming it was taken back to them seems unreasonable to me.

It would be interesting to see what a court made of that clause if they turned down an otherwise valid claim.

I would think any emergency repairs are likely to be related to the base vehicle and that’s covered by the vehicle manufacturer’s warranty anyway.

Brod.
brodco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum