fuse box upgrade necessary???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

fuse box upgrade necessary???

Post by hdv on Mon May 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Hi all.
Just had a full habitation check on our 2005 registered executive and have been advised  that the fuse box in the wardrobe needs updating so that the neutral terminal is to comply with the safety regulation ?? is this a necessary upgrade as the fuse box has mcb, or is it just more issues to find out later after installation  of new version?? winks
hdv

Female

Auto-Sleeper : executive
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: fuse box upgrade necessary???

Post by meanchris on Mon May 02, 2016 9:37 pm

We really do need to know exactly what 12V/230V equipment and controls you have in your van.

We're all just guessing otherwise. confused3

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Mon May 02, 2016 10:57 pm

The only time when "new regulations" apply is when the vehicle is manufactured. There is never a requirement to upgrade to comply with these at a later date. If, however, your present fuse box is faulty and needs to be replaced, then the current regulations will apply.

From your statement above, it would appear not to be faulty. The habitation technician is just looking for work !!
Keith

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon May 02, 2016 11:13 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote:
From your statement above, it would appear not to be faulty. The habitation technician is just looking for work !!
Keith

Agreed, it looks that way to me too, though we're still all guessing what electrical system is actually installed...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue May 03, 2016 8:42 am

If we knew what type of system is fitted, we could make a fair judgement of whether there's likely to be a potentially dangerous fault or whether, as suggested above, someone is looking for work.

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vdv on Tue May 03, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi all.
Thank you for your responses to our mistery fuse box!!.
Well i went back to the garage who did the habitation check this morning to get some answers and it turns out that the existing MBC fuse box in the wardrobe is all there is to protect all the different circuits, fanmaster, 240v sockets,heater, fridge, habitation , etc.
They say that although the whole circuit is earthed it is recomended that the neutral polarity is also protected. For what ever reason i do not know but i was assured it is all safe and above board.iI do tend to believe they were just after some extra work that is not a necessity. Upon further investigation this morning i did notice there are 2 separate inline fuses under the driver seat coming from the leasure battery, one is a 10amp spade fuse and the other is a 15amp one, not really sure what they are protecting. I guess one is for the charging system and other is for the zig unit maybe??.
Anyway all electrical system seems to work fine.
Thank you all for your time.
All i have to do now is to sort out why the manual step buzzer is not working when the step is out when i turn on the ignition. I have squirted WD40 on the switch beneath the step but still no joy. scratch head
vdv

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vdv on Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Sorry i should have pointed out that HDV member who has been searching for the same answers is my other half and i was asking her to ask the questions on my behalf, but now i joined the forum, i can do this myself.
vdv

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue May 03, 2016 10:32 pm

vdv wrote:
They say that although the whole circuit is earthed it is recomended that the neutral polarity is also protected.

Ah yes - it's quite likely that your van was built when it was conventional to fit single-pole mains circuit breakers and a "reverse polarity" warning light. More recently it has become accepted "best practice" that double-pole circuit breakers should be used - but there really is no need to retro-fit these to an existing installation. Provided you observe the warning light and remedy the polarity reversal if it is lit, you should be at no greater risk with single pole MCBs.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Tue May 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Look under the drivers seat in your Executive and see if you can find a blown fuse for step buzzer problem, failing that from memory the buzzer is under the dash between steering column and drivers door (or it was in our Exec that we had)

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Wed May 04, 2016 12:09 am

Does the buzzer work when you start the engine? Just turning on the ignition may not be enough.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vdv on Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 am

Will go and check the buzzer fuse under the seat as you suggest Roger,
And will start the engine up to see if it works as i have only tried with just switching the ignition on Ron.
Will let you know! up!
vdv

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum