skylight on clubman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

skylight on clubman

Post by bob&Joy on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Having just bought this 1999 clubman we notice that the cab skylight appears to be leaking = where can we buy a new one -read somewhere a different model made less travel noise - help please and also we have no hub caps for wheels - can you please advise what size we need - obviously we are not very clued up !!!
bob&Joy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : clubman gl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: skylight on clubman

Post by roli on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:20 pm

You can get these from most motorhome dealers accessory shops. What many people have found is replacing with a Mini Hecki gives a quieter ride.
Sorry can't help with dealers up your way as the nearest I know of is Perthshire Caravans which is a long drive for you

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bob&Joy on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks
Are the mini heckis all the same size or do we have to get the correct dimensions ?
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 pm

You have to know what size yours is first of course, presumably 400x400, but don't take my word for it.

Then you have to decide what thickness your roof is.

I went for the bigger thickness Mini Heki, and then had to cut the pillars down myself because my roof was right on the borderline of the thickness decision.

This is effectively the one we bought, unvented, with the longer pillars, but the other variants are listed at the bottom of the ad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/motorcaravan-caravan-mini-heki-plus-roof-skylight-/281747775698?hash=item419979e0d2:m:mVdDGh2zSD-JcNzHi-mNGNQ
meanchris

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

skylight

Post by bob&Joy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Thank you very much - we didn't know about different thicknesses of roof - we might just get dealer to fit it as we are not brilliant DIY !!
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 pm

I think that someone here has already done this on a Clubman, can't remember who though. They will presumably have a measurement for theirs.

It's a relatively easy job with not much to go wrong, although I had some Duct Tape and a piece of plastic sheet ready cut for if I had a problem and had to seal the aperture in an emergency.

Can I suggest that you do this (or get someone limber to climb up a ladder and do it) as a temporary measure to stop the leak, water outside the monocoques is usually fine, but you certainly don't want it inside if you can possibly help it.

Is yours leaking from a crack in the dome, or from deterioration in the handle fixings where they are fixed to the dome? If so (and not through the frame seal to the roof) a new dome will cure the problem and give you time to think.

Only because it sounds potentially urgent, if this is the problem I have a spare 400x400 dome/handles that you can have if you pay for the postage.
They're easy to fit from inside, you just undo 4 screws holding the handles to the frame, tip the dome over on its side and lower it through the hole, then reverse the process to fit the replacement. It takes about 5 minutes.

Someone would have to confirm that the Clubman forward vent is definitely a 400x400 MPK?
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:22 pm

My 2001 Clubman is def a 400 x 400 MPK

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

skylight

Post by bob&Joy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi Meanchris,  how kind of you to offer to send us a skylight -we have found it is the handles? That are wrong - they won't retract properly

We would be delighted to have your spare dome as the costs we foresee are mounting up alarmingly!!!

We have covered the dome and the rain isn't coming in at present

If you tell us what postage you require, we can send it or bacs it to your bank account before you post

Make sure you cover yourself for packing etc      Only if you are sure you will never need it

Thanks again
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:28 pm

bob&Joy wrote:Hi Meanchris,  how kind of you to offer to send us a skylight -we have found it is the handles? That are wrong - they won't retract properly

Can you explain what you mean there?

When I replaced the domes on our '95 van, just after we bought it, I found that sometime in the previous 18 years MPK had changed the design of the frame slightly, such that the handles on the new dome didn't latch under the old frame lugs. The forward vent would pop open at speed, at one point in a journey Chrissie had to tie it down by putting her dressing gown belt through the handles and hanging onto it for the next 20 miles.
I cured this by filing approx 5mm off the top of the handles where they wouldn't go under the frame lugs.

The reason I ask is because someone may have already changed the dome relatively recently on a 17 year old van, but not modified the handles.

I can't see how the vent can be leaking merely because the handles 'won't retract properly', the dome should sit over the hole just as effectively, as long as it isn't leaking because of a crack or because the handle join to the dome has weathered and cracked or broken (which is what was wrong with our '95 originals).

It's worth describing exactly what the problem is before we make a decision.

Kim
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SKYLIGHT

Post by bob&Joy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi , we have investigated further and found the actual dome is leaking , probably we cracked it when trying to pull it tight shut when it blew open on our way up the motorway. We have stuffed the bit between the netting and the dome with plastic to stop the rain. We are not home yet having picked up the van in Barnsley and taken some days to meander, at present in Berwick but hope home on Saturday. There is no leakage round the frame but we are sure nothing has been replaced recently as we have a lovely coating of verdegris all over roof including roof light!!  Argh!!! The water has just filled the plastic and poured over me !!!! so put basin under it. 
It is snowing heavily so that's not helping.
I am not sure about what you mean about the handles - it is the bits that retract that are difficult to pull in tight and were offskew when we first noticed them but they may get better when cleaned and wd40 d.  Any other advice gratefully received
Joy
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Verdigris happens pretty quickly, I don't know when MPK altered the design so that new domes don't close properly on an old frame, so it could be anytime in the last 18 years, and somebody could have changed the dome 10 years ago.
How to check...Look at where the plastic tab on each end of the handle locks under the edge of the frame.
It should be an easy 'interference fit' when the spring part of the handle is released. In other words you shouldn't have to pull the handle down hard to allow the spring in the handle to push the tabs under the frame.

Here's a picture I took of the modification I had to make to the new handle tabs, to fit under the old frame and prevent the vent from being sucked open by the airflow.

If yours was opening when travelling, this might explain why (if a newer dome has been fitted to an older frame) The spring pressure in the handle arms is not enough to keep it shut at speed.

meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

skylight

Post by bob&Joy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi, see what you mean - we checked back skylight and it hasn't been altered as the lugs fit snuggly into frame . Took out plastic and checked front - the lugs are the same - they fit under frame - think it must not have been closed properly when we bought it and that made it fly open and with it being difficult to shut we must have cracked the dome . Everything in the van is stiff , not been used for nearly a year due to owner having died .
Is your spare dome an old style or a new one as, if so will it need modification?
Thank you again for all your explanations - it will take a while to understand the workings of the various parts !!
Joy
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:22 pm

I doubt that you'll have cracked the dome itself, more likely around where the handle attaches, that's where all ours had cracked, and that's conveniently where the water collects.

I'll have a look at what we have tomorrow morning, as they're out in the garage and it's freezing tonight, 2.8C here.

Don't panic. smile!
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

skylight

Post by bob&Joy on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:11 pm

bob&Joy wrote:Hi, see what you mean - we checked back skylight and it hasn't been altered as the lugs fit snuggly into frame . Took out plastic and checked front - the lugs are the same - they fit under frame - think it must not have been closed properly when we bought it and that made it fly open and with it being difficult to shut we must have cracked the dome . Everything in the van is stiff , not been used for nearly a year due to owner having died .
Is your spare dome an old style or a new one as, if so will it need modification?
Thank you again for all your explanations - it will take a while to understand the workings of the various parts !!
Joy

Hi we passed Perthshire caravans today and  bought a new skylight as it was lashing down with rain and we were desperate
Just waiting for things to dry up to get it fitted - just bought the dome and handles £40 not too bad
Thanks meanchris for all your help.
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:06 pm

You're welcome, have you got it fitted OK and, more importantly, has it stopped leaking? up!
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

skylight

Post by bob&Joy on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi . Bob replaced the skylight tonight when it stopped raining - guess what !!! the plastic covering dome had disappeared!! It must have sheared off in transit and the water was coming in the air vents .
It isnt leaking now and appears to fit very tightly but the new one doesnt have the spring brown bits with wee lugs inside the handles .Is that right We were concerned when you said yours popped open at speed. We go home tomorrow so it will be tested .  Thanks again for your help
Joy
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 pm

It most certainly should have the brown handles and locking lugs, as far as I'm aware, or it may indeed pop open at speed.

Does it have the recesses where the brown bits go?

You may be able to recycle the brown handles from your old vent, but be EXTREMELY careful, the plastic of the brown spring handle will be VERY brittle, and it has small lugs which have to pass over lumps on the main handle that stop it coming out of the main handle completely. They'll break off if you're rough with them.

To be honest, if that happened, I'd put a tie wrap around the handle and spring insert part, just to stop them popping out, and use it like that.

To make sure that you don't lose the new dome, tie something round each handle in a loop that you can reach from the passenger seat, so that you can pull the vent closed again if it tries to open, without getting out of your seat.

Good luck - enjoy your trip home - we're always sad when we get home. wave
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

skylight

Post by bob&Joy on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi, bob fished the old skylight out of the bin and took out the brown plastic and springs and fitted them into the handles of the new dome - they worked perfectly and click under the rim .
We are very grateful to you as we would never have known about needing to do this but are a wee bit annoyed with the guy in Perthshire caravans not telling us more as we explained what we needed - I suppose he thought we were more knowledgeable than we are!!!
Thanks once again   Joy. ( I am driving the car behind so was worried about the dome flying open and no one able to hold it down - we drove the car to collect the van)
bob&Joy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Glad to have been of help, been there done that vent thing.  hugegrins
meanchris

Female

View user profile