siberian weather

View previous topic View next topic Go down

siberian weather

Post by mikethebike on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:17 am

As experts are warning of very cold,below freezing weather,is anyone going to drain the heater?

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: siberian weather

Post by dbroada on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:22 pm

I think this may be my fault. I turned on the outside tap yesterday in preparation for washing something. uncertain

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:37 pm

I have drained mine down, but then again as Loto says, I worry if I dont have something to worry about.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:13 pm

No filled mine last week ready for the off , have an oil rad on day and night on low setting, makes it warm and cosy for when I need it, which is nearly everyday. is my  everyday vehicle. my water heater is under the off side settee, has a carpet / felt cover on the compartment, which AS put in, and the heater is less than two foot away so will not drain it.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:58 pm

I know its awful, I had to put a fleece on today when I helped Lady G do the watering in the garden.... hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I think it's more of a wind-chill problem rather than minus figures, or is it even colder than hereabouts?

I've been cycling in shorts since the beginning of March but had to go out early this morning so opted for three-quarters.
My legs were fine but when I got soaked in the hail/rain/sleet my poor old fingers (riding in fingerless mitts) were unbelievably painful.
Got another weeks touring coming up soon and hoping Snowdonia doesn't live up to its name.
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:27 pm

. wrote:Got another weeks touring coming up soon and hoping Snowdonia doesn't live up to its name.
Well we've had snow/sleet/hail here today so can't promise what Snowdonia will have. We're off to Cornwall at the weekend and it looks like being totally different to when we were in the same area at the same time 40 years ago (the start of the hot summer of 76)
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Right now it is windy on the north coast but much milder on the south coast Paul, it isn't going to match '76 but not looking too bad and not too busy at the moment either. Will be keeping a look out for your van if you are down this way! Have a safe journey. up!
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:58 am

Thanks Groundhog. We'll be at Tregurrian C&CC site from Sunday.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:11 am

mikethebike wrote:As experts are warning of very cold,below freezing weather,is anyone going to drain the heater?

Micky
Nobody has answered your question Micky. I will! I haven't put any water in yet and am glad about that. Drained down in November. I go away every month for a few days but cope with using sites facilities to save filling up the van (except the loo). I'll be filling up in May I hope. shiver
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 am

Talking of wind chill I've never been able to get an answer about the effect of the slipstream passing under and around van tanks. For instance I know that wind chill can make actual temperatures feel much lower, but does it actually change the temperature? By that I mean that if it's, say, 4 degrees and a van is driving at 70mph will the tank freeze? Certainly if we were tied to the outside of the van we'd feel temperatures well below freezing and therefore presumably the exterior of the tank would too, but would it actually be below freezing?
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:22 am

rose49f wrote:
mikethebike wrote:As experts are warning of very cold,below freezing weather,is anyone going to drain the heater?

Micky
Nobody has answered your question Micky. I will! I haven't put any water in yet and am glad about that. Drained down in November. I go away every month for a few days but cope with using sites facilities to save filling up the van (except the loo). I'll be filling up in May I hope. shiver

I did Rose, near the beginning of this thread, I filled up last week and haven`t drained it. have oil rad  on low setting, in all the time I am not using it .
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:24 am

Andy.   Quick answer is No.

Ian, when he is back will explain. It has come up before ,if you can find it on the search facility.

Micky
mikethebike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:28 am

Wind chill: 

1   Conducting heat away from a hotter body by a cooler air flow. ie. car radiator or human body. Temperature will not go below cooling air temperature.

2.  Evaporation.  If the body has water or other fluid on its surface the air flow may cause evaporation which may lower it's temperature to possibly way below the air flow temperature.
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi  wave

steamdrivenandy wrote:For instance I know that wind chill can make actual temperatures feel much lower, but does it actually change the temperature?

Yes, but that’s one of the classic simple questions that has a very complicated answer because there are so many factors at work.

Unfortunately there is no real single definition of wind chill but I assume we’re defining it as the ability of an airflow to take the temperature of a surface below the temperature of the moving air.

Moisture is the key. It takes energy to turn water from liquid to vapour so as water evaporates it takes energy from the surface that it’s evaporating from, causing a drop in temperature. Incidentally that effect is present whether or not there is any air movement but the airflow tends to increase the evaporation rate.

If the surface is dry there is no such effect so dry surfaces can’t be taken below ambient air temperature by the wind chill alone.

steamdrivenandy wrote: By that I mean that if it's, say, 4 degrees and a van is driving at 70mph will the tank freeze? Certainly if we were tied to the outside of the van we'd feel temperatures well below freezing and therefore presumably the exterior of the tank would too, but would it actually be below freezing?

Nobody can answer that for sure (far too many factors at work) but in my view almost certainly not. Firstly the tank would have to be wet and a 70mph wind would soon dry it off. If it was raining it would be continuously splashed with relatively warm (above freezing) water. Secondly, assuming there was a reasonable amount of water in the tank it would take ages to freeze anyway, far longer than you’re likely to be driving at 70mph and yes, human beings have moisture in the skin so if you were tied to the outside of the van you would experience a real temperature drop.  cold

Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Woke to a shocking frost here this morning! Unusual along this part of the coast, external temp on Sargent panel read -1.8 & our newly fitted Truma auto dump valve failed to empty the boiler! I would have emptied it manually but the severe frost took me a little by surprise and I've been laid up with a horrendous infection in both lungs since before the P'boro show which has confined me to the warmth of indoors doing very little.

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Sorry to hear that CC.  Hope you recover quickly.  This cold spell will last a few days more.
There  was a cold wind at the show when i was there.
About the coldest April i can remember.

Micky
mikethebike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:36 pm

I had water in mine, as CC says we also had a real bad frost this morning, did a check and fortunately all is well but drained it down anyway just to be sure, better safe than sorry
mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:09 pm

We have had frosty nights during our tour over the last three weeks, without the need the drain tanks,frost nearly every night in Henley, Normans bay, and the New forest, have the Trumatic on every night it's that cold.nice and sunny here in Glastonbury .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: