Slide out bedframe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slide out bedframe

Post by sapper997 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:16 am

The slide out bed frame on my 97 exec does not click and hold in the single bed position
but pulls out to the double bed position, has any member removed the frame to check
the mechanism ? The van was recently re-upholstered so the frame was removed to do
it, maybe the frame was not replaced correctly,....Ray.
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Slide out bedframe

Post by meanchris on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 am

I did in our '95 Exec, which may not be exactly the same of course.

The offside bench had a swinging mechanism with two sprung (like tailgate) short pistons/stays which rotated around their lower fixed end, so that the frame lifted up as it opened, then dropped down again as the legs met the floor.

The nearside bench was just two sliding rails like ball bearing drawer rails, and it had no intermediate stops or latches, you just pulled it out as far as necessary, or until it met the offside bench for the double arrangement.

EDIT: Ours had plywood bases under the foam cushion, which was hinged by the strengthened/battened cloth and screwed on at the front of the bench in several places.

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:37 pm

When I had other work done at AS Service ask him to do the OS slide out bed frame, don`t think the bed frame was taken out some readjustment to mechanism I think
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terrybrinklow on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:37 pm

blocked the bed stops off on my Legend,got fed up of pulling and pushing the dam things.Now the beds just slide out,the backrests drop down and I just push the sliding bases back in,job done no problems and much easier .
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ref: slide out bedframe

Post by sapper997 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi meanchris, sorry don't know how to quote part of an answer !!

I forgot to mention that it is the nearside bed frame in question, the frame used to come into the single bed position by
moving the metal catch just under the front centre of the frame to the right, and then stop, by moving the catch to the 
right again the frame would pull out to the double bed position, two definite movements.
My query is how to remove the frame from the runners to check the mechanism, the frame was removed when the van
was re-upholstered, and somewhere in the distant past I had it out to repair runners on the under seat drawer..........
...but I have forgotten how I did it .....It's an age thing !!   shrugg....Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Now that you reminded me Ray, you're right. Our N/S frame also had a little catch but it never worked, it took me a while to work out what it was for.

I seem to remember that we took the cushion off by unzipping the cover along the rear edge, then lifting the cushion (difficult to do) while finding the couple of short self tappers that went into the plywood base.
Once they're removed (with a short stubby crosshead) the seat cushion tips up towards the front edge.

You can remove the screws along the front bottom edge to lift the cushion off completely.

Once off, you can see the screws holding the plywood base onto the frame runners and remove them.
NB They're easy to remove, but a pain to line up and get back in.

I discovered that the spring clip mechanism on ours had a fatigue crack and had half sheared and bent, so didn't bother with it and just reassembled it all.

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sapper997 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:32 am

Have checked the van, and the only screws holding the base to the frame,are on the offside,
I have had this side off before to get at the water pump.
I removed the thin wooden battens that were slotted into the front of the cushions and screwed
to the base as I found them to be a pain whenever I needed to gain access to the under bed area.
When the van was re-upholstered they sewed large pieces of velcro to the underside of the
seat cushions, and stapled the matching piece to the plywood base,...much more convenient   allthumbz

Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum