The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the members opinion, site fees

+2
PLOUGHLIN
daisy mae
6 posters

Go down

What is the members opinion, site fees Empty What is the members opinion, site fees

Post by daisy mae Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:54 am

I was sent an email from Out about live, recommending a few adult only sites, one in particular looked very good, contacted them, price was £18 -£22 pn including EHU, plus £1 for a dog, so I explained I travel on my own with my dog, can you confirm the price, same as but will not charge for the dog, reason given my MH takes up as much room whether there is one or two in it.

Do you consider this reasonable.?

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed off sentence)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

What is the members opinion, site fees Empty Re: What is the members opinion, site fees

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:15 am

Apart from use of showers etc, can't see any saving to the site owner from one less person or extra person either. Charging for a dog seems a bit much, can they use the showers? Site at Wells-next-the-Sea charges £2/d for a dog and they don't even provide dog  waste bins.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

What is the members opinion, site fees Empty Re: What is the members opinion, site fees

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:18 am

I don't think I've ever come across a commercial site where the fees don't include 2 adults. The two main clubs of course price per adult plus pitch fee.

The fees of course include the use of toilets and showers so you could argue that as you have your own facilities should thee price be reduced if you don't use the site facilities but I don't think you'd get very far.  I suppose the moral is - don't give your custom to sites that overcharge.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:32 am

Maintenance costs for the site are the same whether there's one or two people in the van, and the dog charge has almost certainly been introduced because a few utterly selfish and inconsiderate dog owners don't pick up after their hound. (The few again, spoiling it for the rest!!)

It does seem a bit expensive (as do CC sites these days!) but if the site owners can't make a decent living wage out of it, and have enough surplus to maintain and improve the site, they will soon be out of business. I bet we would be surprised to learn just how much it costs to run a site! think_smiley_46

Have a look at the high season prices of some sites in Devon and Cornwall - but sit down first or you might fall down. censored!  Tough on those with kids in tow who can only go during school hols.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:36 pm

daisy mae wrote:I was sent an email from Out about live, recommending a few adult only sites, one in particular looked very good, contacted them, price was £18 -£22 pn including EHU, plus £1 for a dog, so I explained I travel on my own with my dog, can you confirm the price, same as but will not charge for the dog, reason given my MH takes up as much room whether there is one or two in it.

Do you consider this reasonable.?

In the UK I'm generally on a particular site for a specific reason so whatever the price is, it is reasonable. That said I was far from happy at having to pay £35 per night for 5 nights in Keswick last August when I only needed to be there for two nights - that's till I looked at the price of a hotel for a couple of nights in the middle of Keswick at that time!

You will pay between £6 and £10 per night for a pitch on a rally field where all you get is a tap for fresh water and a manhole to empty your toilet. CL's & CS's seem to charge between £10 and £15 now depending on location, electricity and other facilities. The 'rally rate' on a commercial site with facilities tends to be between £15 and £20 per night but can be more - that is usually the low season rate that anyone will pay.

On the odd occasion I've used one of the main club sites on my own I've been surprised how much cheaper it is when there is only one in the van. As we don't use site facilities I used to think we should get a discount (but how would they manage it) but then I thought when we use the facilities in the van we use twice as much energy (ish) for two as you would for one, but then again, the CC sites without facilities blocks are cheaper than those with, irrespective of how many are in the van......?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Point taken, guess "camping " isn`t what it use to be, when in a tent with the children, it had more freedom, just turned up pitched wherever you wanted and whatever angle, guy came round next morning for the previous nights stay, no booking, no extras for this that and the other, no red tape, ah well nothing stays the same, probably better on the CL`s or CS`s have stayed on a couple of  pub sites, £8 pn, not B.S.`s    I use my own shower, I am a member of both the main clubs, have been for 22 years, do know what you getting on those sites. I don`t go Bank Holidays or when the children are off school. Some sites want you to stay for more than the one night, if touring I may want only one night here and another night somewhere else. So I guess planning my route is the answer, ringing up for a pitch on the day depending where I am. Don`t like booking and paying in advance, as pressure is on then to get there, and sometime coming across a nice place on the way, decide to stay there. if anyone can understand my ramblings. hugegrins Touring to me means as much freedom as possible without being tired down , same reason I haven`t been on a package holiday. sooner do my own thing.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to missing)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:34 am

Stopped on a site many years back with our friends, they, two adults and three children, us two adults and a dog, it cost us £3.50p a night more than them as the kids went free and he paid £10.50 for the dog for a three night stay, I did ask where the dogs play area was.lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down