Fresh water tank drain tap replacement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fresh water tank drain tap replacement

Post by busby65 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Is it possible to gain access to the inside of the fresh water tank on Excelsior 1996 based on a Transit without removing the tank,,i.e.through the van floor...Need to replace tap and have to get inside tank to fit tap holding nut,,Regards BUSBY65.smile!
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fresh water tank drain tap replacement

Post by meanchris on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:25 pm

If it's similar to our old 95 Exec, then no, not possible.

I had to replace the outlet pipe fitting as soon as we bought the van, as it was loose and dripping all the time.

The only way to do it was to remove the tank from underneath, to get to the inspection cover on top.

The bottom of the tank was covered in slime by the way, and I vowed never to drink the water from it, even after I cleaned and disinfected it.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:33 pm

On my Topaz when I had it, removed fresh water tank to replace tap, took opportunity to thoroughly clean it, small hands needed to get inside tank, can be done just awkward at times.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:24 pm

meanchris wrote:The bottom of the tank was covered in slime by the way, and I vowed never to drink the water from it, even after I cleaned and disinfected it.
Ever seen the inside of a water main??

They are often just the same, but it obviously isn't harmful or we would all be dead by now!

Rather off-putting though, as you say!

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:31 pm

meanchris wrote:If it's similar to our old 95 Exec, then no, not possible.

I had to replace the outlet pipe fitting as soon as we bought the van, as it was loose and dripping all the time.

The only way to do it was to remove the tank from underneath, to get to the inspection cover on top.

The bottom of the tank was covered in slime by the way, and I vowed never to drink the water from it, even after I cleaned and disinfected it.
Was it easy to remove the tank?  BUSBY65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:18 pm

In my case, yes. It was held up by 4 hooks into the chassis, with angle steel across between them with nuts on the end. The nuts came off without much problem, but I've read here that others have had varying degrees of difficulty.

Remember to drain the tank first, or you'll get a nasty shock when 70 odd kilos of water drops on you. I did remember to do this, but only at the last minute.

I would suggest that you source the connectors before you do the job, ours were brittle after 20 years and I had to put the nut on the inlet fitting the wrong way round to make sure that the threads gripped properly.

Your Transit based van may be completely different from our Pug Exec of course, somebody here will know if that's the case.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:23 am

I had new hangers put on when replaced the  tank, as they do go weak after a time, and the thought of loosing the tank down the road didn`t bear thinking about. just a thought.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:40 am

Good point M, ours were fine at the time but, being ordinary steel and in the open under the van, worth checking occasionally.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:41 pm

think_smiley_46 Just a thought regarding dropping the tank. Having removed a few tanks, mostly large fuel tanks, the best trick is to put a piece of board under the tank and lower it with a trolley jack. My Duetto had a piece of thick ply under the tank to take the weight of the mountings.
 It is tempting to use stainless studding to replace the hangers. Stainless is funny stuff, it is quite brittle. We always fitted new hangers made from mild steel studding and covered them in some form of anti rust gunk.
 As people have said, once the tank is out and on the floor it is worth flushing it out. Any sludge will be disturbed. Last time I bunged up the outlets and give the tank a dose of miltons fluid and really sloshed it about. After re-fitting I ran a couple of fills with a milder solution of miltons through the taps.  allthumbz

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laney Lintel on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Can you replace the tap with a barrel spigot tap? Mine is leaking around the tap! Any suggestions?
Laney Lintel

Female

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Ford Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:13 pm

I replaced mine with one of these you can also click a hose onto it and drain it or if you wanted to fill it from the tap.

Mike
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laney Lintel on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:26 pm

My brother said he can replace my tap without removing the water tank with a push in/screw in type. Saw one on e bay but cannot do ur kind of link to show u as not too good with computers.  Surely he has to remove the tap bolt on the inside of the tank which has to be done from inside the tank? Or can the to be removed another way ie cutting it off? I have only had 1 night in the van so far since I purchased it and have already spent about £300 getting some mechanical parts fixed. Any ideas on the tap issue would be greatly appreciated.  Elaine
Laney Lintel

Female

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Ford Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:29 pm

When I had my Topaz, dropped the tank took out the tap, thoroughly cleaned the tank and put in a new tap, small hands needed  to get inside the tank through the hole.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Laney Lintel wrote:My brother said he can replace my tap without removing the water tank with a push in/screw in type. Saw one on e bay but cannot do ur kind of link to show u as not too good with computers.  Surely he has to remove the tap bolt on the inside of the tank which has to be done from inside the tank?

It depends a bit on how it was installed - if the installer used plenty of sealant, you ~may~ find that you can unscrew the tap from the outside and the nut will stay in place inside, still stuck to the side of the tank. It's really just a matter of luck which bit of the sealant gives way first when you try to turn it. If it just goes round and round then you have no choice but to drop the tank. Of course, if the nut does stay stuck in place, you then have to use a new tap with exactly the same size and thread as the existing one, and you need to wind it in carefully so as not to dislodge the nut...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Dont be put off, Ive just changed the internal pump in my 2014 Kemerton . The empty tank could be supported by one hand and I used an empty cardboard box to sit it on so as not to have to remove all wiring and pipework.had the van driven onto 2 pieces of 6 x 2 so was an extra 4 inches off the ground and there was enough room for work to be carried out . Only took 40 mins tops so a change of outlet should not be much longer. Pump was turning ok but impeller was spinning on motor shaft when load put on it ie when trying to pump water.best of luck.

kaspian

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum