Clubman Zig unit dcu3 12v fuse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman Zig unit dcu3 12v fuse

Post by mattpc on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:52 am

The fuse blew last week on the van and its marked something like 15a 8a constant. Appears to be the 19 year old original fuse by the look of it. As I was using the van at the time I drove to maplin to get a replacement. They had a 15a that fitted but not with 8a constant current protection. Anyone know if these fuses are still made please?
mattpc

Male

Member Age : 36
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman Zig unit dcu3 12v fuse

Post by brodco on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am

Hi wave 
mattpc wrote:The fuse blew last week on the van and its marked something like 15a 8a constant. Appears to be the 19 year old original fuse by the look of it. As I was using the van at the time I drove to maplin to get a replacement. They had a 15a that fitted but not with 8a constant current protection. Anyone know if these fuses are still made please?

Maplin man not know much about fuses methinks! hugegrins  Any 15A fuse will provide 8A constant protection. I think the confusion comes from the fact that there are two basic types of glass fuse, quick blow and slow blow (although there are many variations of each). Quick blows go very quickly when an overload occurs so tend to be rated a bit higher than the maximum current to allow for the odd high current surge (probably where the “8A constant” comes from). Slow blows are fitted to equipment that takes a high current for a short time at a switch on and since they take longer to blow can be much closer to the normal maximum current value.

From the Zig manual available here:
http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/zigmanuals.htm
they used standard 1¼ inch fast blow fuses. They don’t say what value but looking at the pictures on the web the fuse holder is marked 15A so it’ll be a standard 15A fast blow fuse.

Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks that's good to know. I think I have got the right fuse in there then. I don't think the original blew because there was anything wrong, I think it disintegrated due to it's vintage!
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Should the DCU 3 have 2 fuses. Mine appears to have 2 fuse holders...Thanks.
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Yes it should. There should be one for the 240v side and one for the 12v side. The fuse I'm talking about is for the 12v circuit.
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum