The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear seatbelts

+4
Paulmold
NORGIL
daisy mae
Darty53
8 posters

Go down

rear seatbelts Empty rear seatbelts

Post by Darty53 Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Do you need seatbelts for side facing rear seats in a 2002 motorhome?
Darty53
Darty53

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Sympho
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

rear seatbelts Empty Re: rear seatbelts

Post by daisy mae Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm

No you don`t, I am insured for four adults on the  side settees. you will get comments to not do it, I think it is before 2006 you don`t  need seat belts in the rear if they have never been fitted.

I always carry a copy of my insurance certificate and printed off the rules concerning rear seat passengers.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Darty53 Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks very much!
Darty53
Darty53

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Boxer Sympho

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:49 pm

The issue of unbelted rear seats is not quite that straigtforward.  The following is from the Caravan Guard Insurance company website

It’s important to note that just because a manufacturer declares the number of berths for a particular motorhome you must not assume that this is the number of persons that can be carried when the vehicle is on the move.
Passengers unsecured in vehicles present a danger not only to themselves but also to other persons in the vehicle. It is therefore driver’s responsibility to ensure that it is safe to continue on a journey and the safety of their passengers must remain paramount.
Whilst with ‘older motorhomes’ the legislation did not specifically require passengers to be restrained by appropriate approved devices, legislation still existed within the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that could be used to support a prosecution where the carriage of passengers was deemed unsafe.

The other legislation referred to is the Road vehicles Con and Use Regs

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format. The electronic version of this UK Statutory Instrument has been contributed by Westlaw and is taken from the printed publication. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maintenance and use of vehicle so as not to be a danger, etc

100.—(1) A motor vehicle, every trailer drawn thereby and all parts and accessories of such vehicle and trailer shall at all times be in such condition, and the number of passengers carried by such vehicle or trailer, the manner in which any passengers are carried in or on such vehicle or trailer, and the weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of such vehicle or trailer shall at all times be such, that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

The driver has a responsibility to ensure that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle.

Should a non belted passenger be injured it could easily be argued that by allowing a person to travel in the vehicle without suitable restraint the driver has failed to ensure their safety.

If you look on the CaravanGuard website you will see a recent article which also refers to a previous article both make interesting reading.

Last edited by NORGIL on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 pm

My insurance company checked wit their assurers and got back to me and it is on my insurance certificate. I have only taken one passenger in the rear, as I take out a disabled friend who sits in the front, and as I need help with her the helper sits in the back next to the bulkhead,

PS
Interestingly my insurance would have insured me for having 5 in the rear, I declined that, there is the weight to take into account as well, so I settled for 4 but have only had 1 in the rear.

Last edited by daisy mae on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Your decision I'm afraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

MermaidRach likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:15 pm

It's not all about insurance. Or about whether it's allowed in early vehicles or not. 

An unsecured person in any vehicle is in danger and is a danger to the other occupants, whether it's covered by particular legislation or not. There's no magic bullet that says it's suddenly safe just because the vehicle is pre '06.

Somebody seated in a sideways fashion is likely to be much more badly injured in an accident than somebody sitting for and aft because the body structure can't take sideways stresses as well. That's why no motorhome manufacturer will fit or sanction seatbelts for a sideways seat.

A police officer can choose non-specific legislation to prosecute a driver who has, in their opinion allowed passengers to be injured because they are not travelling secured or in a potentially dangerous position.

It's just not worth the risk.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:49 am

steamdrivenandy wrote:It's not all about insurance. Or about whether it's allowed in early vehicles or not. 

An unsecured person in any vehicle is in danger and is a danger to the other occupants, whether it's covered by particular legislation or not. There's no magic bullet that says it's suddenly safe just because the vehicle is pre '06.

Somebody seated in a sideways fashion is likely to be much more badly injured in an accident than somebody sitting for and aft because the body structure can't take sideways stresses as well. That's why no motorhome manufacturer will fit or sanction seatbelts for a sideways seat.

A police officer can choose non-specific legislation to prosecute a driver who has, in their opinion allowed passengers to be injured because they are not travelling secured or in a potentially dangerous position.

It's just not worth the risk.

That just about says it all except in addition I would not want to be hit on the back of the head by a flying 80kg person.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MermaidRach Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 pm

Thanks for this post - super helpful
MermaidRach
MermaidRach

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.4
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:55 pm

Simple maths...

M1V1 = M2V2.

Non survivable for the secured individual if the non secured one passes through him/her en route to the windscreen.......(Nor the unsecured one either..)
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down