Boxer 2.8 Misfire.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boxer 2.8 Misfire.

Post by Marty on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 pm

I have a Talisman with a Boxer 2.8 Engine. The problem is that the engine misfires or feels like a misfire or slight jerking between 2000 and 2500 revs. It doesn't matter if its 20 or 30mph its just at those engine revs. If I rev it to those revs when still then its fine and very smooth so it only happens under load. I have had Two diesel injection experts look at it a put it on the computer and both say there is nothing wrong with the engine and it runs lovely. It seems that maybe something is out of balance or warped just like when you have a wheel out of balance, but it can't be wheels as it happens at the same engine revs but different wheel speeds.
The vehicle is a 2002 Talisman and has done 80,000 miles and apart from this its a lovely vehicle, and returns around 30 mpg on a run.
Its just a pain as the engine is around those revs quite a lot of the time.

Any Ideas ??
Marty

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boxer 2.8 Misfire.

Post by meanchris on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Does the vehicle have a full ECU interface to report engine management problems, or it it more basic.

My 2005 Boxer 2.8HDi X244 has sufficient information, but the older X230 didn't.

You could research the ECU/Interface capabilities and possibly try the AlfaOBD Demo from the Android Play store along with a suitable bluetooth dongle in your OBD connector.
I used this combination and help from the Fiat Ducato forums to diagnose an engine warning light on our 2.8HDi.

Alternatively, could it be a mechanical problem like a worn driveshaft CV joint or engine mount?

Hopefully you'll get other replies as well.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum