Security - Wheel Clamps

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Security - Wheel Clamps

Post by AndyLouch on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm

Afternoon all, 
Has anyone had any experience with these please? They seem reasonably straightforward to fit and I wonder if anyone uses this or something like it to prevent vehicle being stolen? Planning a trip to Europe in the summer so considering what additional things to consider? Thanks,
Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Security - Wheel Clamps

Post by CC on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:28 pm

If you're considering taking one with you when touring then I wouldn't bother, we have one on our Broadway when it's parked on the drive, it comes in two pieces and is bloody heavy! Link here: http://www.towsure.com/fullstop-nemesis-wheel-clamp?gclid=CLeH2uzK48sCFeQp0wodriIKoQ No way would I take it away with me due to the weight and storage. 

If you opt for a more lightweight clamp it may be easier to travel with but won't be anywhere near as secure. Others might have a better idea and offer their advice.

CC

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Cruising Comet wrote:If you're considering taking one with you when touring then I wouldn't bother, we have one on our Broadway when it's parked on the drive, it comes in two pieces and is bloody heavy! Link here: http://www.towsure.com/fullstop-nemesis-wheel-clamp?gclid=CLeH2uzK48sCFeQp0wodriIKoQ No way would I take it away with me due to the weight and storage. 

If you opt for a more lightweight clamp it may be easier to travel with but won't be anywhere near as secure. Others might have a better idea and offer their advice.

CC
I also have the nemesis clamp Which I have had to modify so that it will clamp onto the Pug Alloys fitted on mine and there is no way it goes away with us.
As most thieves are looking for a easy life cheap ways to stop them taking the van is a Steering wheel lock mine is a Halfords that I picked up in a charity shop for a fiver which is just a bar that locks onto the steering wheel so that even if they smash the fitted steering lock they still cannot turn the wheel far.and one device that seems to have gone out of vogue that of having the registration etched into the glass you can buy kits quite cheap like this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VEHICLE-WINDOW-SECURITY-CAR-GLASS-ETCHING-KIT-/272188963994?hash=item3f5fb9fc9a:m:mb1jzu_f-OrBfTzPK4aNylA
Both are highly visible and MAY put off the casual thief from taking but nothing will stop someone if they really want it.
The next thing on my list is a set of locking wheel nuts as someone did try and nick the alloys of my last van and left me with one wheel with only one nut on until they realised they couldn't undo the last one, mind you they did take the other wheel nuts

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:37 pm

At home I put on a clutch claw. It locks all the pedals together and being low down, it is very awkward to use a cutter but again it's heavy to take with you, so when away I use a steering bar called a 4tress and rely on the alarm.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:08 pm

I use this at home and it stays at home. Very strong and heavy. I also use a steering lock which I travel with. It's light and small. OFF TOPIC...Just found we have a new way to insert images.
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Heanorboy, yes also considering locking wheel nuts (milenco 15'') as somewhat paranoid about theft. Interested to know how you nearly lost yours on your previous van as to where it was parked at the time. Regards

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:10 pm

All, thanks for ideas. I think we'll go for some sort of steering wheel lock and leave the wheel lock until we're back from our trip!
Appreciate that none of these will stop a determined effort to nick our 'pride and joy', however, such visual measures might make an opportunistic thief go elsewhere!
Cheers, Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Paramedic wrote:Hi Heanorboy, yes also considering locking wheel nuts (milenco 15'') as somewhat paranoid about theft. Interested to know how you nearly lost yours on your previous van as to where it was parked at the time. Regards
We had stopped over in Chepstow and had parked at the top of the town to have some lunch

When we came back we didn't notice anything amiss (i.e. no wheel bolts lying around) and got in and drove off onto the M4. Whilst on the bridge the whole back end started shaking as the nearside back wheel was only held on with one bolt
We were VERY lucky. Took one bolt out of the other three wheels to get us home
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks David, increased urgency to fit locking wheel nuts going on your experience so near to a town centre. Not as if you had been wild camping having abandoned it all day in the middle of nowhere. Indeed you were very lucky not to have suffered possible serious injury or worse and you managed to rescue the situation with the van. My congratulations on overcoming a most dastardly act. Regards Colin

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:15 am

I feel that to beat the take-away thieves, you are safer with a non-standard device. Factory fitted alarms etc. are all standard and those bent on nefarious activity can soon  find a way round them. Even locking wheel nuts  are vulnerable
For example;  If you drive an automatic vehicle, you will know that you cannot start the engine nor move the gear lever without your foot on the foot brake. I inserted a series cable in the circuit from the foot brake, which led to an innocent looking switch on the dash.
Three days after selling the vehicle to a dealer,  I had a phone call asking if I was aware of any problem as they could not move it !!   Three days! I thought that was a good test!

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 pm

rose49f wrote: I use this at home and it stays at home. Very strong and heavy. I also use a steering lock which I travel with. It's light and small. OFF TOPIC...Just found we have a new way to insert images.
I have one of those, but drove off, on our gravel drive, forgetting to remove it. It was only when Mrs Matchlessman started waving that I stopped to investigate. It had wedged behind the wheel. A quick jiggle and tug and it was out. No damage to the van or to the lock. 

They are more a visual deterrent than a physical one.
matchlessman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum