The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference?

4 posters

Go down

Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference? Empty Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference?

Post by FOA Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Sikaflex EBT sealant from Screwfix is half the price of the Sikaflex 512 from caravan accessory shops. Is there any difference? Thanks.
FOA

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference? Empty Sikaflex 512

Post by FOA Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm

After more research on the internet I am partly answering my own question. Sikaflex 512 is produced specifically for caravans and motorhomes. I am not entirely sure why but I did note that curing is by humidity so presumably that helps! Today I sealed around the rooflight but despite it raining immediately after, no visible damage to the freshly applied sealant. I could not find a data sheet on Screwfix's Siliflex ETB Sealant so I think I will stay with the 512. Here is the data sheet http://www.uksealants.co.uk/downloads/Sikaflex-512-Technical-data-Sheet.pdf
There is also a cleaning agent to be applied to surfaces to be sealed. Here is the data sheet. http://www.uksealants.co.uk/downloads/Sika-Cleaner-205.pdf.

The company kindly providing these data sheets, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] also supply these products at less expensive prices so I shall be ordering from them in future.
FOA

Male

Back to top Go down

Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference? Empty Re: Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference?

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference? Empty Re: Sikaflex Sealant - is there any difference?

Post by FOA Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks Pb, I found that myself but it is a safety sheet rather than a data sheet so not very helpful.
FOA

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:38 pm

The silkaflex as sold in Screwfix is cheaper as it intended for use on Materials that do not move much such as brick window frames timber, it would not stand up to the constant movement as it needs to.
The other alternatives are Wurth seal and stick which you find is used a lot in the trade

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Sika describe 521 as Sealer, but EBT as sealer/adhesive/filler. Both should work but you might never get it apart again with EBT.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by FOA Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for all your comments. Sticking with 512! It's very very sticky.
FOA

Male

Back to top Go down