Amethyst battery problems - help please

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Amethyst battery problems - help please

Post by Eonod on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Elidor wrote:Hi to Eonod and others, I have a 2004 Ford Transit Amethyst and had similar battery drainage problems. I found that over the winter months in storage the main engine battery drained badly due mainly to the standard security locking plus an additional Abacus security system being active. I now disconnect the main battery and rely on mechanical locking of the doors plus additional non-electric anti-theft devices. I note the reference to voiding insurance cover but there are effective non-electric anti-theft/disabling measures that can be used. My batteries (main and habitation) are also located under the drivers seat. The main is reasonably easy to access but the other requires seat removal. I now carry the necessary sockets in "Amy" to be able to remove the seat at any time. There are only four nuts holding the seat down, but it is heavy and slightly awkward doing it solo. The previous owner of my motorhome has fitted an extra habitation battery in series with the original, the extra one is located under the nearside long seat/bed, is securely fastened and vents any gases to the exterior. Someone did a top job. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for your post Elidor.
I have come to this very same conclusion, as I can find no reason for the drain on the engine battery.
The LED's can run from very low power sources, so the battery could easily drained right down with no visible warning, only when the LED finally went out was when I noticed something was wrong.

I am hoping to tax the van and buy a new leisure battery this weekend.
I will then test the batteries by reconnecting them, for a short time, just to make sure everything is working and there is no massive power drains.
I will then disconnect them and rely on the same “mechanical locking” for security.
The van has an independently powered alarm system and is covered by CCTV, both outside and inside.

I have a feeling (although have no proof), the previous own most likely disconnected the batteries over winter, so will in future use a similar method up!
Eonod

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 am

You have said that you are using a small solar panel in the windscreen. Presumably you are plugging that into the cigar lighter? Have you checked that the cigar lighter is permanently live? Some, like mine, are only connected with ignition switched on!

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eonod on Sat May 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for all the input to my problem.
We believe the power drain has been identified but how it happened still unsure.
It seems some how the test switch for water pump got turned on, with the water tank empty.
Put the batteries back in the van and the water pump wurred into life immediately , it's now turned off.
The wife cleaned the van through just before the problem with the batteries occurred but not blaming her
Now got to fill the tank and test the pump just to confirm no damage to the pump, etc.
Unfortunately, if this is the case then I have just binned a working £50 solar panel for no reason ... 
Eonod

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum