The big squeeze

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The big squeeze

Post by eatona on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 am

Hi everyone - Has anyone felt like a sardine in a can when pitched on some sites between 2 caravans? On our last trip we were sited on a corner (not the first time) and a busy one at that; we were diagonal with nose to the road. Before long we had a caravan on both sides of us each with full awnings and cars parked adjacent. When we opened our door the swing took it to the neighbours car. Needless to say whenever they started their engine we had a van full of fumes. We had no room to pull out our wind out awning and no room to get the dogs out properly. We have a smallish VW Clubman so it wasn't as if we were hogging the space. Has anyone else had similar issues? We wondered if it was a phenomenon associated with smaller motorhomes as this is not the first time we have found ourselves in similar situations although this last was definately the worst.
Regards
Eatona
eatona

Auto-Sleeper : clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The big squeeze

Post by breakaleg on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Hi Eatona,
We once had a Clubman and now a Lancashire (about the same size, very often in the summer, we get shoehorned onto a tight pitch, if the others take up to much space, ask them to park elsewhere, when they say where, say, lets go ask the warden where you should park, seems to work, we were on a campsite in Southsea, came back after being out for a morning, three cars were parked on our pitch and a disco/barbecue in full flow, they did not like having to move the cars, said can we leave one here, yes, if you want to pay half my pitch fee, they declined, oh, and can you turn the music down please.

Pete
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 pm

I can honestly say we've never had the problem. What sort of site was it, club site, commercial, CL, in this country or abroad? We tend to stay on C&CC sites and although wardens (sorry, 'holiday site managers') can be a bit officious they do stick rigidly to the '6 metre rule'.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidT on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:59 pm

We've had this happen a few times, mainly on the continent. We've accepted this if it was just one night. Anything longer and we've asked to be moved to a bigger pitch. There's not been a problem with this, so I feel that they were just trying it on.

I've often asked for a different pitch if we don't like the one we've been allocated for whatever reason. In my experience, it's always worth asking.
DavidT

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile http://www.labucherie.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi there,

On some of the cheaper sites in France you often feel like the "four in a bed" song where everyone has to roll over at the same time! Good for one night at a push but not to be recommended.

On other sites I don't pay until I know exactly where I am going to park up and if it's more than £5 a night I expect my own space!

Remember, you are a "Customer" you "Pay" they provide a "Service". I appreciate that, in the UK especially, a lot of service providers forget that they have a role to play in this contract but then again we just don't complain enough!!

Remember when you leave a site feeling resentful about what you have paid versus what you have received that:

"Resentment" is like drinking poison and then waiting for the other person to drop dead!!

Much better to get it off your chest and tell the person concerned that you are not happy. You may not get a rebate but at least you let them know that you will not be returning unless they change.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by squip on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:06 pm

I once booked in advance at the CC site at Brighton for 1 night. As I do not have an awning I indicated "no awning" on the booking. When we arrived we were given a choice of about 10 pitches although there were loads more vacant. All the pitches we were offered were small and all the other ones were larger. When I asked why I was only offered the smaller pitches I was told it was because I did not book "with awning". However if I really wanted to have a larger pitch then my booking could be amended. As it was only for one noght I did not bother. Now I always say "with awning" when booking a CC site.

squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The big squeeze

Post by eatona on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi guys - Thanks to all of you who replied. At least we know we are not alone. The campsite in question was CCC site in the New Forrest and we did speak to the site warden to ask for another pitch as we had booked for using our awning. We were told none was available for the week we were staying however we noticed various pitches were empty for a night or two in sucession. This would have done us as we packed up and went out everyday and had to re-pitch each night anyway. We were advised to ask the caravan folk to park elsewhere. They packed up and left that day and another one came in and the problem was worse. We have since posted a feedback on the CCC site on-line over this. The 6m rule was none existent.
Kind regards
Eatona
eatona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Must admit we moan sometimes when we get put beside caravans that have awnings on the side, or tents where the occupants park cars between their tent and us rolleyes especially annoying when the other side has a free space for their car, another thing we have experienced is some occupants having 2 or 3 cars which shouldn't be allowed, personally I don't think caravans and motohomes should share the same areas as caravan'ers or those in tents... in our experience they don't share the same privacy and courtesy that you seem to get with neighbouring motorhome owners shrugg

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

The big squeeze

Post by eatona on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Cruisingcomet - I think you have a point there about the level of privacy. On one site in Wales we had the grandparents of the family on our right hand side and the grandchildren with parents and dogs on the other. Needless to say our peace was shattered with children running back and to all the time through our pitch and even peering into the motorhome via the back door. Our two dogs weren't very happy either so things got a little tense to say the least. We moved on and found a lovely site near the Horseshoe Pass in Wales so the scenery more than made up for the earlier disgruntlement.
Ragards
Eatona
eatona

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:45 pm

eatona wrote:Needless to say our peace was shattered .............. We moved on ...........

And that's the magic of a motorhome!!!!!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum