Peugoet Mezan - resprayed hab area

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peugoet Mezan - resprayed hab area

Post by Zanna on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am

Does anyone have any experience with re-spraying GRP?

I am looking to buy a 55 reg Peugeot partner Mezan 2.0litre HDi.
The hab area has been resprayed after the previous owner went under one of those height bars on chains and the rooflight which was cracked has also been changed. I haven't been back to see it yet - it's a 4 hour journey - but the dealer says it has been finished in a gloss finish. I asked if the decals were still there and they said they were.  
Will it need re-gelling or is a gloss finish adequate??
Should the decals have been removed to do the job and a new set put on??

When I went up the first time I found the cracked rooflight. The van was supposed to have been PDI checked and valeted before I got there but nothing had been done. I want to ensure they have done everything they need to do before doing another 8 hour round trip.

Is there anything I should be looking out for around the rooflight area?
Do I ask for a guarantee of some sort for the bodywork and rooflight replacement or is that covered under the Sale of Goods Act in the first 6 months?

I have had an RAC full inspection done on it and it has a couple of issues - leaking fuel injector and another oil leak mid engine somewhere plus a damp patch was discovered in the spare wheel storage behind the driver's seat. I was told initially that a damp check had been done and there was none present.

It comes with a 12 month Auto Protect warranty but the online forums suggest it's not worth the paper it is written on.

Last edited by Zanna on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra info)
Zanna

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident T4 hi top

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peugoet Mezan - resprayed hab area

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 am

I had a boat which suffered major damage from someone's anchor breaking through the deck/above water hull. After repair the hull and top sides were sprayed with Awlgrip 2 pack paint. WHen I sold after 10 years it was still pristine.

It all depends what it was painted with. Personally unless they can produce evidence of a suitable paint being used, walk away and find something else.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:25 am

What's special about this one that makes you want it so bad that you go an 8hr journey. Is it comparatively cheap due to this respray? There are a few Mezans on Autotrader. If this dealer hadn't PDI'd or valeted it as he was supposed to have done, I'd wonder how good is his aftersales service. As for that warranty, you've already discovered that it's worthless - too many get-out clauses (wear and tear).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:22 am

Hi,
I agree with Paul, walk away it sounds like trouble,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi Zanna
Firstly welcome to the forum from Bridlington , don't want to burst your bubble, but I would look for another one, the RAC inspection has highlighted oil leaks and damp problems , time to walk away.
As Paul has said there's others advertised.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Hello and asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire.

Have sent you a PM.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Sorry that you're getting mainly negative responses, but if you're unsure what's under the paint I would not consider it.

If, for example, there are cracks in the GRP from the impact with the bar, you may find them resurfacing fairly quickly, unless they have been repaired well (and doing that is labour-intensive - hence expensive). For anyone repairing simply to sell, the temptation would be to get the cheapest repair possible.

Also - do you know what insurance category the vehicle has acquired due to the accident? This may seriously affect the resale value when you come to sell it...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zanna on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome up!

It's hard to hear the voice of reason but thank you for all the input - I know you are right. Since I agreed a part-ex price with my MH a few more Mezans have appeared for sale so I must take a deep breath and start again I guess unless they offer me a big discount for taking it off their hands. smile!   I have already paid a deposit and the first visit was to collect the vehicle. Maybe it was luck that the roof light was damaged.

The 2.0HDi engine is generally very reliable - I had the Berlingo version - but a lack of service history isn't too reassuring either especially as I am sure the lady in the office said it was down in their service department when I asked about it.

There's too many unanswered questions so back to the drawing board I go fedup

(Daisy Mae - I'm new to this forum stuff - tried to answer your PM but ended up deleting it instead - doh! Thanks for the advice - I'll try not to be too hasty lol)
Zanna

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident T4 hi top

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:04 pm

No Problem, think you have to do so many posts before you can answer PMs anyway, I may be wrong on that.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zanna on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi Daisy Mae - yes I think you are right. x
Zanna

Female