Anyone else got an extra 'Mushroom' vent?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone else got an extra 'Mushroom' vent?

Post by meanchris on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:36 pm

We have a mushroom vent immediately in front of the forward square MPK vent on our 2005 Exec, I can't imagine what it's for, as it only vents the space above the luton headlining, and I'm suspicious that it's the source of a leak that sometimes drips from the front offside corner of the plastic cab headlining moulding.

I've seen this dripping twice, both times when driving in dry weather, but after periods of heavy rain. It suddenly drips about half an eggcup full down the offside windscreen pillar moulding and onto the carpet and my knee.

I've taken out the front of the luton lining, including the wooden panel at the front, the cab plastic roof liner and windscreen pillar mouldings. There's a suspicious black delaminated patch at the offside bottom of the luton wooden front 'cubby' panel, and a possible damp patch right in the centre of the carpet where there's a recess in the luton floor to allow the wooden cubby panel to locate on the floor.

My suspicion is that water is getting blown under the mushroom vent cap, both when driving and when it's raining/windy, and collecting in the carpeted recess where the cubby panel sits. Then, when moving, the water is getting moved back to the ends of the wooden luton floor and dripping through the hole above the cab where the roof aerial cable and its ground plane earth cable come through into the cab on their way down the windscreen pillar.
There's no sign of water tracks down from the aerial mounting, and the space above the black cab-luton moulding is clear, as are the drains from the plastic moulding.

If the problem isn't from the mushroom vent, then the only other places it can be are the upper front marker lights or (heaven forbid) the black joining moulding where the cab meets the luton above the windscreen - I flippin' hope not though.

I'm replacing the Jokon marker lights anyway, as one has a cracked lens, but it doesn't look as though the leak is there, as the base of the lamp is still well sealed.

Does anyone have a similar mushroom vent? If so, have you experienced any leaks?

Also does anyone have suggestions how the vent can be removed and the roof in front of the MPK vent resealed, I was considering a TV aerial blanking plate stuck and sealed with the tube of Sikkaflex style adhesive that I bought for mounting my reversing camera, as I don't fancy drilling screw holes in the thin luton top?

The hole for the mushroom vent boss appears to be a standard 80mm hole for this type of vent.

Thanks if anyone has any good ideas or comments.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone else got an extra 'Mushroom' vent?

Post by meanchris on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Some pictures of what I've found in the luton, under the floor.
I wonder whether this is something that we should all be aware of with the monocoque vehicles?

I stripped all the lining panels out of the luton bed, removed the folding door, took out the 4 screws holding the back edge of the floor to the main bulkhead, and lifted the floor up so that I can see the metal cab roof and its join to the GRP shell.

The insulation between the floor and cab is wet, and there's a pool of water in a depression on the nearside.
The seal between the cab and GRP shell appears to be perfect, no signs of rust.
Any water in there must either be:

1: Condensation (it doesn't smell musty though)
2: From the front upper marker lamps due to a poor seal
3: From the roof light (it was sealed OK as far as I could see, and now replaced yesterday with a Mini Heki to reduce wind noise)
4: From the mushroom vent allowing the wind to blow rain into the luton above the headlining.

There's some black staining along the bottom edge of the wooden ply cubby panel and some staining on the underside of the plywood bed floor where it sits on the GRP shell, so this is presumably in the water's path as it runs down from wherever it's coming from.

Looking through the gap between cab roof and wooden bed floor, you can see where the water is collecting.

Pool of water sitting in depression in the GRP right above the nearside upper corner of the windscreen.

Cables from the roof aerial going through a hole on the offside on their way down the windscreen pillar.
The water was dripping through this hole down the pillar and onto my knee, so would presumably still be trapped there if there was no aerial requiring a cable hole.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:53 pm

I spoke to A-Sleepers service dept today, they're super helpful.

It appears that the mushroom vent was only fitted to later 2 berth models to aid venting of condensation from the closed luton area in the 2 berth. There's no legislative reason for the mushroom vent, which means I could remove it if it causes excessive wind noise.

Ours is a 4 berth, so they weren't sure why it would have the vent fitted as there's adequate ventilation in the 4 berth because the luton isn't effectively sealed with a fixed bulkhead.

They think that our van is likely to have been built to order, as it left the production line and was registered at the dealer within a few weeks. This apparently might also explain why we have the newer curved doors and furniture fitted to the later 2006 models even though ours is registered July '05.

A-S are also confident that any trapped water above the cab roof must be from a leaking marker lamp seal, which is comforting as we already have two new lamps on their way to us.

I'm a happier bunny today.  up!

All I have to do now is put it all back together.  rolleyes

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by robbins on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:58 pm

we have a 2003 talisman we the vent on.
robbins

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mushroom Vent

Post by treynolds on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:02 am

Hi there,
I also have a vent on my Gatcombe (2005) which I've always found a bit odd as there is no grille on the inside which would make it a bit pointless...(?)
Hopefully your marker light fix will do the trick. If it does appear that the vent is the culprit, you could always try and remove it and blank it off with a blanking disk and sealant.
Keep us posted how you get on.
cheers Tom
treynolds

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:43 am

My suspicion is that our van was built as a 2 berth, and the shell kitted out before the furniture was fitted, then the spec was changed for quick delivery as a four berth, maybe as a demo at a show or for a demanding customer.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum