Painting cupboards

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Painting cupboards

Post by BEKIDAN on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has painted their cupboards with success! If so can you recommend which paint to use and any tips!
Thank you
BEKIDAN

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Painting cupboards

Post by Gromit on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 pm

I can only say that I wouldn't do it.

Years ago when you could get decent paint without all the health and safety restrictions which make the moderns stuff next to useless, I might have tried it. If you use modern paint it's likely to look just as if you painted it - badly and in the dark!!  shrugg

Just my opinion of course, but if really necessary I would be more inclined to use a vinyl type sticky backed covering. Some of them look really smart, and with careful application the doors could look as good as if they have just been made.

More importantly, if you don't like it, the vinyl can be peeled off with care, but if you paint the doors and they look awful, you are stuffed!!

Hope this helps.

Dave  smile!

P.S. Not seeing them I'm guessing here, but would a coat of clear polyurethane varnish re-vitalise them? That's nothing like so drastic as painting them, and it's still a quality product with a good likelihood of success.
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BEKIDAN on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Gromit,
Thanks for your advice, The cupboards are that fake pine plastic veneer, I'm re-upholstering the cushions and wanted to change the look of the cupboards too. I know it can be a dodgy thing to do as often ends in disaster so thought I would get some feedback before trying it. I might just do the soft furnishings then rethink cupboards.
BEKIDAN

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi again Bekidan

I don't know your van at all, but if the cupboard doors are flat (and as naff looking as you suggest) you could consider having new ones made out of solid wood. I would make raised panel doors in a wood to suit your new upholstery. There's nothing quite like real wood, and it would enhance the van no end. A nice raised panel door never dates either, which is also a consideration.

Dave

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:08 pm

How about cupboard doors from B&Q  they sell doors separately, some designs could be cut down to fit if needed, if having doors made are expensive, sometimes  eBay have caravan / motorhome doors that are surplus. or a camper conversion firm.
Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BEKIDAN on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks Gromit, I would so much prefer 'real' wood, I worried about increased load / fuel consumption?!
My husband is not so keen on me 'tarting up' the van! So I was kind of looking for cheapest option.
Daisy Mae, thank you, I will keep my eyes peeled on eBay.
Thank you both for your suggestions, very much appreciated. :)
BEKIDAN

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:47 am

Using pastel water based paints to achieve a modern shabby chic look could be the answer if you like that sort of thing. I have seen it recently in a YouTube video of a new European van, possibly Hymer. Not really my cuppa tea! My daughter is experimenting at the moment with painting small pieces of furniture. It can look good if done well. Alternatively this technique or any type of painting could look really messy, so be careful as it could affect the resale value if not done properly!

Pete
Maasai Warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:09 am

I was under the impression that the cheap-flimsy vinyl-coated wood used on motor homes & caravans is WEIGHT, use the 'proper' stuff & all the vehicles weight allowances will be used up!!
Look at all our panels, they are made from lite-ply, thin ply with a balsa core, I cut it out with a Stanley knife!! 
Its OK for the american style RV's to use huge lumps of solid wood, marble & glass, as their loading is TONS rather than a few kilos like ours.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shuttle on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Did my kitchen cupboards with cupboard melamine paint. You can buy Dulux,Ronseal from one of the DIY sheds .I used a small roller to apply it and had a nice finish to it.
Good luck
shuttle

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:26 pm

A further thought.

If the doors are flat, veneer doesn't weigh much and it gives a real wood finish.

Dave smile!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:29 am

Hi,  I do0n,t know what year your Duetto is, but mine, when I had it, was 1995, and I'm sure it was wood veneer, with hardwood edges......which was the same as my late 1994 Trophy, and my current 1993 Clubman (Yes, I know I'm working my way backwards.  Whistle1 )  If yours is the same type, I've used spray can of "Wood Silk" the original non silicone furniture polish in an aerosol can.....Home Bargains, or Tesco stock it at a very reasonable price. Its made my cupboard doors, and worktops look like new, and got rid of all the watermarked, and faded wood shine.....easy to put on, and polishes up nicely.    allthumbz

P.S.  Its in a yellow can, with red and brown writing on, and has a top like a bee hive.... gimmefive
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:45 pm

I too, THOUGHT mine was wood veneer, looked spot-on & realistic, but, as I looked near to the cooker hobs, the heat had slightly wrinkled the surface, wood won't do that, but vinyl will. think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:18 pm

I know ours isn't wood veneer. It's big sheets of fag paper - but if anything even thinner. so_sad

Looks quite effective though, I have to concede that much.

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:49 pm

If you are set on painting to a colour you like consider taking them off and having them spray painted and lacquered over . 

This could produce a stunning finish and far better than any attempts with a brush which IMO would look awful. Spraying and lacquering would give a finish better than factory and enhance the interior of the van .

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Most DIY outlets now sell a special paint for melamine and other typical kitchen cupboard door materials.  It's recommended to apply with a small roller.  I haven't yet used it myself but posters on several DIY forums (fora?) have advised that it gives excellent results.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:22 pm

The problem with these cupboard paints is they have no durability. Touch them even gently and they mark. Hardly suitable for the sometimes harsh environments like in a motor home. This could be aided by lacquering over but that would involve removing and spraying. 

I

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:05 am

Charliefarlie wrote:The problem with these cupboard paints is they have no durability. Touch them even gently and they mark. Hardly suitable for the sometimes harsh environments like in a motor home. This could be aided by lacquering over but that would involve removing and spraying. 

I
Just remember it will take a huge value off your van if you decide to sell it. Will not the old wood polish up...BUSBY65.
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum