Mobile coverage in remote parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mobile coverage in remote parts

Post by frederic on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 pm

About to make one of our mobiles other than O2
Vodafone springs to mine but EE has cropper up as having 99.8%  coverage on 2G.

Can of worms thrown open for comment/advice before Friday if pos.

and yes I do have my PAC code from O2 (ring early or late and have current balance and most dialled number!!)
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile http://rathlarg@btinternet.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mobile coverage in remote parts

Post by burlingtonboaby on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi Ric
We get pretty good U.K wide cover with our Samsung GT-C3590 phones on the Tesco mobile 3G quad band network, however we couldn't get a signal down at NEB and had to walk along the beach to find a good signal.
Phone comes with the usual camera, internet access, etc, battery lasts for around a week, ours are a couple of years old now however still in daily use.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I haven't tried recently, but last time I used them Vodafone's coverage was rubbish.

IMO, Three and EE are probably the best bet for coverage - but out in the real world it still seems pretty random as to whether you will find a signal with any provider.

Sadly it's unlikely to get any better (indeed it is likely to get worse) unless the regulator forces them to share transmitters - which of course none of them want to do...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Rick, As you know LIZ hails from SW Scotland and cos of that we have spent a fair bit of time along that coast.    I had a brief flirtation with Vodafone and it was disastrous coverage.
EE should be ok for you, O2 you know about and I have had no issues with either the phone or Mifi in the van using 3

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Ric
We get pretty good U.K wide cover with our Samsung GT-C3590 phones on the Tesco mobile 3G quad band network, however we couldn't get a signal down at NEB and had to walk along the beach to find a good signal.
Boaby
Tesco mobile uses the O2 network.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Have EE, through T Mobile here.....not much else works around here. EE have also the old Orange coverage incorporated as well. (Did they buy them out ??)
SWMBO got a good deal through Carphone Warehouse last Saturday ( on-line offer only) with a iPhone 6, too rich for me......(read "Too tight)......I've scrounged an iPhone 4, that wasn't being used, by daughter, about 18 months ago, and have recently changed from pay as you go, to sim only, deal was 500 mins, and 500 mb download, plus unlimited texts for £9.98 monthly.........this  will do me nicely, as I got caught making a long call on payg at 40p a minute, very expensive .......I use it all the time now. allthumbz
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:53 pm

EE now have a facility called Wi-Fi Calling which means if there's no mobile signal but you do have Wi-Fi available you can make the call through that. This will also work on the London Underground system.  Calls are treated the same as from your mobile package.

So if your mobile signal at home is poor you can use your broadband.  If you're out and about, if you have BT Openzone or a FON account then you can log in to any appropriate available hotspot with that and make and receive calls on your mobile.

This functionality is available in many different models and not just the latest - for example I've just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S5 neo which is not the latest by any means (I think the S7 is the current model) but it does have this facility.   

Unfortunately, however, this won't help frederic as it's only available on handsets obtained from EE shops or through the EE website, not if you are going EE SIM only with a phone obtained from elsewhere.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 pm

I've got Sims for all the main networks. From my experience Vodafone has the worst coverage, o2 and ee usually ok but my preference is 3 for good 3g signal and the sim deal.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire

View user profile http://www.uk-sites.com

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:24 am

I forgot to say, Roger reminded me that 3 also have Three In Touch which is in effect VOI where you are in a poor signal area but have internet access

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:09 am

O2 also have the wifi calling feature called Tu Go , you have to download their app.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks for all the good info folks,
My main need is for the best coverage on 2G for the mobile phone,
as all other devices are on O2 (as we only have an O2 shop in Stranraer.)
O2 suits our purpose for them, its being able to keep in touch in some of the wilder parts up here
where occasionally O2 is lacking!
(EE  shop is in Ayr as are most others as well!)
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 am

After 25+ yrs of being with Vodafone I got fed up of having no 3G signal anywhere I went, when in the Scottish highlands my iPhone on Vodafone was dire and I never recalled getting a 3G signal anywhere in the highlands, yet just about everywhere with the very odd exception I had a reasonable to good signal on Three with a data sim in my iPad 

I ended my contract with Vodafone & went with Three, reception ironically at home is none existent but Three sent me a Home Signal to enable reception indoors at home, but out and about locally the Three service is superior to Vodafone I'm frequently getting 4G 

It took me 5 months to get my Phone deposit back from Vodafone along with 2 months line rental they took from me despite cancelling my contract, their customer services is diabolical 

CC

Last edited by Cruising Comet on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added iPad as left it out)

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:20 pm

A number of the providers now share masts in an effort to improve coverage.
I believe Vodafone and O2 link. Not sure about EE or 3. might be worth checking. Also providers have maps on their websites showing where they have / don't have coverage. there are still localised black spots but a useful guide.

3 are good if you go to Europe (their website details which countries, more all the time) as you can use your data and minutes as if you were at home. (that is for calling/receiving UK numbers - not foreign).

I use a 3 mifi unit in France for my laptop / tablet. Not the fastest, but it does work.
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Went to EE and despite being very busy was pointed in the direction of the £1 /week pack which gives 25 mins phone and 50 texts per week (extra at normal payg if required but hopefully not at the high prices of payg.) sim free only had to pay £5 up front for 5weeks credit, have a normal plastic card to enable me to buy more weeks and will get plenty of warning of credit demise. A wifi sim was offered for the tablet as well (free) and you can also apply from their website. Upgrading can be done at any time, old O2 number will be transferred ( had PAC code)
Only downside was that my O2 phone had a block on so went to an independent dealer who was able to remove it ( main shops would have to seek further help)
frederic

Now what about Personal Hot Spots  like the EE Osprey 2 Mini or such??
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:23 pm

We live in remote parts. No mobile coverage from any provider, nor a very good internet connection. When it works, we can use the mobile phones on 3 using their wifi app, but the call drops if someone tries to use the Internet. 
The only provider that we get any signal from nearby is o2. They seem to have marginally better coverage than any others.

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : None now
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi,
For what its worth I am on giffgaff and have no problems, they use the 02 network but everything is done on line so if things like that are confusing its probably not for you. The best for 4g is probably EE who I think are now owned by BT.they have some good offers if you check online again. Giffgaff only do pay as you go, but you can buy various goody bags which include calls texts and data. It all depends on how much you use your phone,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:24 pm

For emergency use, I have a Manx Telecom PAYG SIM card. The advantage with this is that outside the IoM in the rest of the U.K. you are roaming and can use any network, but Manx only charge their normal PAYG call rate.

Needless to say I only have this for use when my usual network (3) has no coverage. It's only a fiver (with £5 credit) to buy and just have to use once every 6 months to keep the credit rolling over.
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:49 pm

We both have "3 " having tried, Orange, EE and Vodaphone,  found "3" the best, also much cheaper than any others,
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:10 pm

I would second Daisy Mea's comments about "3" coverage and price.

The only times I have not had coverage with "3" people on other networks have had to reception also.

Looking at using "3" data sim for a mifi device as well.

Mike
Mike187
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:27 pm

Mike can recommend "3" for a mifi device, if you go to a "3" shop they are selling a 12 month 12gb sim for mifi for £30  reason as they are being discontinued, but once you have one you can just top up when it runs out.I bought one yesterday.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks Daisy Mea, not decided which device to get yet, but I think I will order a sim from their web site now.

One shop in our town does not have them in stock as I called in to get some info the other day, I'll try the other shop and if they have them I will get another as that is a very cheap price.

Still trying to estimate what our usage will be.

Mike
Mike187
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tove.H on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi all, i was looking at the "3" sim as well like daisy mae has recommended but im not technically minded so could i just put the sim straight into my tablet or would i have to buy a mifi device and put it in that and then plug the mifi into the tablet ?? any help would be appreciated, thankyou.
Tove.H
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit legend
Vehicle Year : 1990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:02 am

If you have a mi-fi devise, take the back off  put in the sim card  you do get instructions, , on  the inside of the back  ,there is a  code number , you will need this when you turn your tablet on it will pick up the mi-fi and you can then type in this code, you only need to do it the once,   and then your tablet will be connected to mi-fi, not physically I might add, by wireless,

I have had a tablet and a laptop being used at the same time from that little modem, they are not expensive on eBay, I have a 3g one and I find that adequate, not a lot of 4g areas around yet. sometimes there are second hand ones when owners have upgraded, I bought a new 3g for about £29   12 months ago, a pay as you go , I don`t want or need a contract, just top up when I need to when the 12g runs out, I used mine last spring and summer not again after October, until next month. if on a contract you are paying when you probably will not be using it.Hope this is of some help, the sims are either a phone sim  or  for mi-fi you want a Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband sim,
phone will not go in a modem.in my tablet I have a memory card, which is different again. Hope I am not telling granny to suck eggs, if so ignore.
Regards,
Margaret

PS   my mobile modem  is a  "3" one  if you do get one and it is another server, make sure it is an unlocked one that way you can use any make of sim, as I wanted "3" I went for a "3" modem  it was still unlocked, I was amazed the first time I switched it on,  it was so quick and how it works from such a little modem , allthumbz

Last edited by daisy mae on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:13 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : PS)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:29 am

With our ancient 3 MiFi you turn the phones, tablet, iPad on and bingo internet found straight away no messing but as Margaret suggests have the SSID number handy the 1st time, after that the devices will connect automatically.

Out of interest on 2 occasions in the last 12 months when we have been waiting for bt openwoe to fix landline problems on the estate I have run our home internet off one of these little 3 - 3g MiFi routers (ours will take 4 devices, newer ones more) and was getting quicker speeds than with the landline.  I think later in the year I will have a 4g one for my birthday !

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tove.H on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:17 pm

many thanks for all your help daisy mae and roger, i have a better understanding now and now know what to buy. greatly appreciated.
Tove.H
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit legend
Vehicle Year : 1990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum