The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydraulic Self Levelling System

+7
h8ten
FOA
fmh22
Peter Brown
Anthony Salamone
Gromit
plato2012
11 posters

Go down

Hydraulic Self Levelling System Empty Hydraulic Self Levelling System

Post by plato2012 Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:24 am

I am considering having a hydraulic self levelling system fitted to my Mercedes Stanton. If I do not put down the steadies each time we pitch the unit rocks about too much but the steadies are difficult to get at without unloading bikes and folding up the bike rack.

Has anyone had a system fitted? Can you recommend a fitter? I would welcome guidance and views.

I am looking at the E&P system, are there others to consider?

Weight is always an issue but presumably I can get the original steadies removed, how much do they weigh?

Regards
Plato

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic Self Levelling System Empty Re: Hydraulic Self Levelling System

Post by Gromit Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:59 am

Hi Plato

There's a discussion here that may help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Three thousand pounds seems an awful lot to get the van steady!! If it's of any interest I modified my arthritic friend's caravan so he could easily use his corner steadies.

I simply fixed some short lengths of plastic kitchen waste pipe so the inner end was shrouding the nut on the steady. The outer end stuck out a couple of inches from the van body so he could easily insert the socket end of his winder. He had an extended winder made so he could reach past the bikes, and used a battery drill to do the winding. Just shove the socket into the tube and it finds its own way onto the nut.

It worked a treat and cost him a bottle of Chateau Rouge Tres Ordinaire! up!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Salamone Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi I've just bought a stanton fitted the VB full air suspension cost 4000 because the noise steering rocking and rolling,drove me mad sprinters don't drive with too much weight.So i put a wheel carrier spare wheel took the steadies of to save weight.I looked at the self levellers at the NEC show too much weight for a stanton in my opinion for what you get as i always look for hard standing..The VB is on ambulances made to stop rocking takes more weight can adjust to get on ferrys up or down with hand set behind the drivers chair conrad allen fitted it had to make the water tank smaller not much but as we don't shower no worries.. Small van small weight try not to over load..Just to say best thing i did as the ride is so much safer at 60 to 70 mph with side wind lorrys passing.Got a spare wheel..
Anthony Salamone

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:51 pm

plato2012 wrote:

Weight is always an issue but presumably I can get the original steadies removed, how much do they weigh?

Regards
Plato

It's not just the weight of the rams, there is a hydraulic control unit and pump. I've looked at a couple of systems at the NEC over the years and they are all far too heavy for use on any AS Motorhome.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Salamone Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Not much ..It may be a good idear load up go to a weigh bridge see front and back weight if you have auto its heavy ..Any weight saving helps fuel ..Self levellers are for A class and RVs with loads of over hang And of course 4 whell caravans that park on grass your steadies should stop rocking when parked .. Hope this helps
Anthony Salamone

Male

Auto-Sleeper : stanton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by fmh22 Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

We have had hydraulic self levelling fitted to our Nuevo and love it. It is so easy to arrive on site in the pouring rain press a button and be level without getting wet. Chucked the jack into the garage at home - don't need it as we can raise the wheel without it. Don't need to fill up a box with heavy levelling blocks. Not had any problems with the extra weight (checked on weighbridge) when loaded. It also provides a talking point every time we pitch up with front wheels in the air. I would guess it is also a help in putting off a thief as it would slow them down having to drop it back onto its wheels before heading off into the distance - though locking wheel bolts essential!
fmh22
fmh22

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:09 pm

fmh22 wrote:We have had hydraulic self levelling fitted to our Nuevo and love it. It is so easy to arrive on site in the pouring rain press a button and be level without getting wet. Chucked the jack into the garage at home - don't need it as we can raise the wheel without it. Don't need to fill up a box with heavy levelling blocks. Not had any problems with the extra weight (checked on weighbridge) when loaded. It also provides a talking point every time we pitch up with front wheels in the air. I would guess it is also a help in putting off a thief as it would slow them down having to drop it back onto its wheels before heading off into the distance - though locking wheel bolts essential!

I don't need convincing of the benefits, I just haven't found a system light enough to fit. What is your system?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks for your all your comments. I am after the convenience factor. We seldom stay anywhere more than two nights and almost never on a proper site with a level pitch (except when wintering in Spain).. 

I have done more research and have checked the vehicle laden weight and fortunately the Stanton has over 600kg of loading capacity. With two up, full fuel, bikes, chairs food and drink we still have over 100kg spare. I have looked at three systems, GlideRite, E&P Hydraulics and AS Air Systems, they weigh between 39kg and 65kg and cost between £4250 and £4995. With the exception of AS, everything can be accommodated below floor level, important due to the lack of storage space in the Stanton. I just now need confirmation that there is sufficient space under floor (Auto Sleeper could not find space for a spare wheel) and that means a trip to Birmingham.

Which system did you have fitted fmh22?

I will update this post when decisions have been finalised and a system fitted.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fmh22 Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:13 pm

plato2012 wrote:Thanks for your all your comments. I am after the convenience factor. We seldom stay anywhere more than two nights and almost never on a proper site with a level pitch (except when wintering in Spain).. 

I have done more research and have checked the vehicle laden weight and fortunately the Stanton has over 600kg of loading capacity. With two up, full fuel, bikes, chairs food and drink we still have over 100kg spare. I have looked at three systems, GlideRite, E&P Hydraulics and AS Air Systems, they weigh between 39kg and 65kg and cost between £4250 and £4995. With the exception of AS, everything can be accommodated below floor level, important due to the lack of storage space in the Stanton. I just now need confirmation that there is sufficient space under floor (Auto Sleeper could not find space for a spare wheel) and that means a trip to Birmingham.

Which system did you have fitted fmh22?

I will update this post when decisions have been finalised and a system fitted.
Hi Plato2012

I had the system fitted by AS Air Systems near Warrington and was delighted with the service they provided. It does take up some space in one of the bed boxes but we can live with that compared with the space taken up by a couple of levelling ramps. It also freed up some room in the tool box under the passenger seat when we dumped the jack into the garage at home. If you take off the weight of the jack and a couple of levelling blocks from the weight of the levelling system you get a better idea of the net weight of the system.
fmh22
fmh22

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic Self Levelling System Empty Auto leveller on Devon

Post by FOA Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:01 pm

We have a 3.5 tonne 2098 Devon fitted with the E&P system. It was allready fitted to our van when we purchased it last year. Have found it very useful, especially the tilt option which speeds up tank emptying. However what you will find is that many sites are not as flat as they seem, we found this particularly in C&C sites, and the system could not cope with levelling automatically and I had to use the manual button, which is Ok when used to it. Infact I prefer to do it manually now. Anyway makes the van very stable. According to the E&P rep at NEC one can use the system with all wheels off the ground, but i feel nervous doing that. Also I do not elevate the van too much in high winds. If you try to drive off with the legs down they automatically retract on releasing the handbrake. At the weighbridge it is 3180kg unladen but including driver and full fuel and fresh water and WC flushing tanks.
FOA

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic Self Levelling System Empty HPC Self Levelling fitted to Stanton

Post by plato2012 Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 pm

Yesterday I had the HPC Hydraulic self levelling system fitted to my Stanton.

A.S. Air Suspension near Warrington took two full days to fit everything but they have done a great job, very neat underneath and the pump/oil reservoir tucked tightly into the corner of a bed box. The touch screen control panel offers several options including manual, auto self level, stabilize (where the feet just lower to the ground) and tank emptying (tips vehicle towards the relevant side). The four jacks have swivel feet for uneven ground and auto levelling takes less than 2 minutes.

Some have cited weight as a problem but with a fitted weight of 39kg HPC is not as heavy as others. I have removed from my Stanton, the corner steadies and brace @10.3kg, the MB bottle jack @6.6kg, a pair of Thule ramps @4.6kg and my electric drill @1.9kg. With a total of 23.4kg removed the net additional weight of the system is just 15.6kg.

Not an inexpensive option but great convenience especially as we use our motorhome almost daily when we are away, it is seldom left on site. We are off to Scandinavia in a month's time for 51 days so the self levelling will get a good try out.

Male

h8ten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by h8ten Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:07 pm

@plato2012, i can see that you had a system fitted to your Stanton but you now have a Bourton, from your signature, Are you intending having self-levelling jacks fitted to your Bourton or have you already?  I have a new Bourton and travel solo so I think it would be a great deal easier for levelling rather than using ramps
h8ten
h8ten

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:10 pm

Plato doesn’t appear to have visited this forum for the best part of 5 years, h8, so I fear you may not get a reply.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:23 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:Plato doesn’t appear to have visited this forum for the best part of 5 years, h8, so I fear you may not get a reply.
Checking his profile he actually visited the forum on Dec 19 2021.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Tinwheeler wrote:Plato doesn’t appear to have visited this forum for the best part of 5 years, h8, so I fear you may not get a reply.
Checking his profile he actually visited the forum on Dec 19 2021.
Sorry, my mistake.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:39 am

h8ten wrote:@plato2012, i can see that you had a system fitted to your Stanton but you now have a Bourton, from your signature, Are you intending having self-levelling jacks fitted to your Bourton or have you already?  I have a new Bourton and travel solo so I think it would be a great deal easier for levelling rather than using ramps
E&P now fitted to Bourton. We were so pleased with self levelling on our Stanton that despite the £6k cost we had it fitted to Bourton in January. Just press a button with ignition on and engine off and it levels, start engine and rams retract. The original corner steadies are removed as is the original jack storage box in the drivers door step area. 2 days to fit. My wife insisted on fitting to Bourton as she was nervous about watching me drive up ramps, especially in the dark and in bad weather. You won't get your money back when you sell but the convenience is worth the outlay in our opinion.

Male

h8ten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:56 am

Hi, Helen, having the HPC system plus air suspension fitted to our Bourton in the second week of May. Will go to the weighbridge soon to do some calcs, but on paper it all works. Might up plate but only if necessary. 
The ability to pull up. Push a button and level. Connect the awning. Pop off the next day come back push the button, level, connect the awning is worth the money.
First visit to a site in Devon meant me spending 30 min trying to level the motorhome. It wasn't level. Cookjng was difficult, sleeping uncomfortable, water constantly in the shower tray ect....   very excited allthumbz
Widget
Widget

Male

Auto-Sleeper : BOURTON
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Widget Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:57 am

Soz, not sure who Helen is... h8 ten
Widget
Widget

Male

Auto-Sleeper : BOURTON
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:34 pm

plato2012 wrote:
h8ten wrote:@plato2012, i can see that you had a system fitted to your Stanton but you now have a Bourton, from your signature, Are you intending having self-levelling jacks fitted to your Bourton or have you already?  I have a new Bourton and travel solo so I think it would be a great deal easier for levelling rather than using ramps
E&P now fitted to Bourton. We were so pleased with self levelling on our Stanton that despite the £6k cost we had it fitted to Bourton in January. Just press a button with ignition on and engine off and it levels, start engine and rams retract. The original corner steadies are removed as is the original jack storage box in the drivers door step area. 2 days to fit. My wife insisted on fitting to Bourton as she was nervous about watching me drive up ramps, especially in the dark and in bad weather. You won't get your money back when you sell but the convenience is worth the outlay in our opinion.

Have been looking at the HPC system.
You appear to have had an HPC system on your previous Stanton and now E&P on your Bourton? I believe E&P is heavier and more expensive. Interested to hear why you changed supplier?
We have a Bourton and weight is critical if we take our bikes but would be OK without.
Would appreciate any comments you have on either system.
Many thanks
LDPD

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down