The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digital speedo.

4 posters

Go down

Digital speedo. Empty Digital speedo.

Post by ki Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:04 am

Does anybody use one of these?

I fitted mine shortly after buying the vehicle as here in NZ, we use km/h and the speedo on the Symbol is in mph with the metric units small and hard to read. We also now have the road police allowing only a 4 km/h tolerance over the speed limits.

I find it very useful when going through built up zones and also on the open road where it is possible to set an audible buzzer at some predetermined speed. The green display is very easy to read, day or night.

Keith
Digital speedo. P1000149
ki
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex-Symbol.
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Digital speedo. Empty Re: Digital speedo.

Post by deckie Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:04 am

Hi Keith,

If that is a 'stand alone' GPS unit .... Brill, haven't seen one before !!

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:45 am

No Brian, it is not a standalone gps. For gps I either use a Tomtom or else Google maps or Sygic on my Android phone if I am overseas and don't want to incur hefty data charges.

The digital speedo comes with parking sensors and is designed to be connected to the vehicle. I detached the sensor module as my Symbol already has these fitted so it was just a case of wiring in the speed module.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks Keith,

Wife has our GPS on speed readout ... and nags accordingly hugegrins hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Keith
That looks like a useful gadget. It is difficult to read the kph numbers in my van because the speedo needle obscures the numbers. My car has a digital speedo and I much prefer it to the analogue one in the van.
What make is the gadget and how is it connected?
Thanks
squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi Keith,

Our present Car Citreon Picasso C3 and our previous Picasso C4 have the large digital speedo, and I think they are fantastic,. All cars should have large speedo readouts. We live in an area which has a large number of driverless cars,(little old ladies sitting below the bonnet level) ,and I am sure they never look at their speedos (or dont know the have one) smile! smile!

Citreons come with a great array of electronic bits as standard.

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:07 am

Hi Guys

It would be interesting to know if the Citroen Relay has stayed with the standard Fiat Ducato (Peugeot Boxer) display or whether they have introduced one of their own.

As for my digital speedo, squip – it doesn’t seem to have a name. Just called ‘Parking sensor with digital speed alert’. I purchased it from Super Cheap Auto, an Australian franchise brand. I don’t know if they are in the UK.

Two wires for power and one to connect to the vehicles speedo sensor wire. Different models of vehicle speed sensors have different pulse output signals. This unit is designed to suit vehicles using four sets of ‘pulse numbers’. After you have correctly matched this you only need to fine-tune calibrate it. I used my 11 year old son to do this as I concentrated on keeping my speed constant on a long stretch of flat road so that our two gps readings were in agreement (Tomtom and smartphone). Once calibrated the unit responds continuously to speed changes and provides more reliability than the speedo dial or gps speed values.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Keith,
Thanks,
I'll have a search in the internet and see what I can find.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 am

Hi squip.

It seems as though it is still available from Super Cheap

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/SCA-Reverse-Sensor-Kit-Digitial-Speed-Alert-Parking-Sensor.aspx?pid=157183#Description

When I purchased mine it was on special for $69 but I have also seen it advertised for around $130.

I was going to make something similar but decided that it wasn’t worthwhile when I could purchase it for that price.

I wanted mine to be hard-wired but if you only need a temporary readout, say, for travelling on the continent then one solution is to use an application on a smartphone. I have found that the free Android app. ‘Speed Hud’ gives a large easily read display on my Samsung Galaxy S phone.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Keith,
Thanks for that info. I shall have a look to see if I can find such a thing over here.
So far all I have been able to find are very complicated gadgets that are meant for kit cars and need sensors added to drive shafts etc. Not at all what I want. And priced well over £100.
As for apps and smart phones - well you are talking to someone who lives in the dark ages. I don't have such things. I guess I'm old school. content

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 am

Hi squip

Yes, you can certainly wind a coil and add a magnet to your propeller shaft, if you have one, etc. but I think that this is a more elegant approach.

Let me know if you would like any assistance from my end should you decide to do anything with the Super Cheap Auto option.

Regards
Keith
ki
ki

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks Keith - will do

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down