Thetford cassette toilets

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Thetford cassette toilets.

Post by whisky on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Strange that our American cousins think that a happy bowl is something you get from McDonalds. hugegrins
Bet theres a few on here would like to see the reaction to that. lol4
Missed an opportunity there D.

Whisky. snigger
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Thetford cassette toilets

Post by deckie on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm

whisky wrote:Strange that our American cousins think that a happy bowl is something you get from McDonalds. hugegrins
Bet theres a few on here would like to see the reaction to that. lol4
Missed an opportunity there D.

Whisky. snigger

"Shuck's you got me there pardner, i'll be quicker on the draw next time, you no good son ........." hugegrins hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi there,

Am I missing something here?

When it comes to emptying the cassette can I presume that I let loose at least a dozen of what we used to call "water bombs" into the receptacle designed to receive it?

We once had a visitor who smuggled some of those scented wipes into the loo. They don't break up and they don't dissolve; but they do clog up the emptying spout!! I dread to think what plastic bags full of yesterday's high fibre dinner will do?!?!?

Also, loved the instruction "flush and count to ten"!!! Waste that amount of water in Petal and I will be shoving your head down the bowl to fetch it back!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 pm

deckie wrote:

The last (and only) time i have been to your beautiful Country was in 1962 as a spotty 16 yr old 'Deckboy' (£14 a month & 2 shillings & tuppence an hour overtime think_smiley_46 )

Some kids didn't know when they were well off!!

In 1960 all I got as an Officer Cadet was £9.11.8d a calendar month and £1.1.8d of that went on NI stamps!! Overtime? Oh yes we worked it (128 hours on one six week trip) but we didn't get paid for it; and to add insult to injury, I even got a "Tax Return" to fill out.

Ah, those were the days!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:07 pm

The reason i don't drinksallround !!

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ki on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 am

Dutto says…..
“Also, loved the instruction "flush and count to ten"!!! Waste that amount of water in Petal and I will be shoving your head down the bowl to fetch it back!”

or, you could use their other suggestion which is to run the water while you sing

“No brush, no fuss, what could be finer than a Happy Bowl Liner!”

But having tried them and found how easy they are to use I would recommend them, although we have now discovered that we have been using them in the wrong way. Apparently you are to do the ‘business’, or make the deposit, with the valve closed. It only gets opened after the water stage. Now, can’t wait to go and try it out!

Regards
Keith
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 pm

ki wrote:Dutto says…..
“Also, loved the instruction "flush and count to ten"!!! Waste that amount of water in Petal and I will be shoving your head down the bowl to fetch it back!”

or, you could use their other suggestion which is to run the water while you sing

“No brush, no fuss, what could be finer than a Happy Bowl Liner!”

But having tried them and found how easy they are to use I would recommend them, although we have now discovered that we have been using them in the wrong way. Apparently you are to do the ‘business’, or make the deposit, with the valve closed. It only gets opened after the water stage. Now, can’t wait to go and try it out!

Regards
Keith

Any chance of some pics Keith?

No no no, only joking!!

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please keep "Replies" outside of "Quotes" Thanks.)
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:14 pm

I took a look in our Nuevo's flushing tank when we got it home and it has black gunk in it (not bad, but bad enough to warrant me cleaning it) so earlier today I have put a solution of Fendox Concentrate in it and will leave it overnight before I flush it out in the morning after I've taken it for a drive to slosh it about and hopefully dislodge any of the black deposits...

Just curious about members who talk of these black bits in your loos...... do you clean your flush tanks and If so how often? everyone seems to be suggesting it's the pink stuff that's at fault, but if your flush tank has these black gunky deposits then surely it's going to end up in your bowl? Are members with this problem claiming they have this problem despite regular cleaning of their tanks? just trying to understand shrugg

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

thetford cassette toilets

Post by murph on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm

You lazy sods, what is wrong with a toilet brush, you can get small ones that seem to be the sort of brush designed for washing dishes with, in a plastic holder, ours is screwed to the wall and holds a small amount of distinfectant, and keeps the our bowl clean.

Brian
murph

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi there,

Tend to agree, but even better, an inch (2.5 cms) of water and three sheets of toilet paper and "voila" - no trace 90% of the time and easily wiped the other 10%.

On the other hand, one of my Mum's retirement jobs was to clean the loos on a caravan site in Skegness and she always reckoned that some people must have had certain parts of their anatomy severely displaced to "half way up their backs"!!

So maybe there is a Market for other devices.

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thetford cassette toilets

Post by murph on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 am

I know of the water and toilet paper method of using the toilet but we get through enough toilet paper without using 3 layers of it for this purpose tried it once and didnt like it, and went back to using a toilet brush as at home. Elbow grease is cheaper.

Brian
murph

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:31 pm

murph wrote: I know of the water and toilet paper method of using the toilet but we get through enough toilet paper without using 3 layers of it ........

Three LAYERS? I had to re-start my pacemaker! I meant three SHEETS!!

As for how much is used I well remember a mate of mine who ran a B&B in Mablethorpe complaining bitterly about the amount of toilet-paper his guests used.

"What do they do with it?" he moaned in an anguished and handwringing plea for understanding from my Mum. "They probably write home on it to let their mates know what a miserable sod their landlord is!" was Mum's reply.

Always full of sympathy and understanding my Mum; who incidentally also ran a boarding house, in Skegness, and actually counted the number of "Izal" sheets used each week!

Remember them? "Izal" stamped on every sheet and better used to "polish" than "wipe"; but still a step up from The Daily Herald!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround

Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 pm

On a previous vehicle the Thetford toilet was full of the black gunk but after changing from Thetford fluid to Elsan no more problems.
padraigpost

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thetford cassette toilets 'black plague'

Post by Terry on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Charles Trevallyan at AS always swore by Milton Fluid, I've just had to do it and it worked beautifully as usual.
2 capfulls in half a tank of flush water and a brisk drive around as many roundabouts and speed humps as you can find (a few cobbles as well if you're lucky !), leave for a couple days and bingo ! Might need a flush and repeat refill for persistent 'plague'.
Terry
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lincssnapper on Thu May 30, 2013 7:35 pm

We have now been out twice in our recently purchased and 1st ever VW Clubman GL and the second time we were away the flush in the toilet stopped working! think_smiley_46 No big deal an alternative to see us through the stay was worked out.

Now having seen the odd 'collection of pink stuff' in what can only be described as having a bubble gum appearance I thought either pump blocked and / or fuse blown.

I have some experience with fish tanks in the past and recalling that pump impellors can become blocked easily I today looked at it and indeed it was blocked alright, cleared this and removed all the 'gunk' and remaining flush liquid but still flush not working so fuse must be gone too? (it's possible that the pump is no good I guess also?)

So here is my question folks ..... I do not know where the fuse is to change it to see if this the fault and so if anyone could point out this to me I would greatly appreciate it, my VW Clubman GL is a 1995 4 berth if this helps you experts out there? up!

Thanks in advance,

Male

Member Age : 57

View user profile http://www.stevenesbitt.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 30, 2013 8:10 pm

Lincssnapper
Check the fuse in the toilet first. Remove the cassette and there should be a 3A fuse inserted into the main body of the toilet (upside down). scratch head

There may also be a separate fuse, in the back of your zig unit.

Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Post by lincssnapper on Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for that John up!

Traced the fuse down and it had blown sadly replacing did not do anything so looks like the pump is shot.

Male

Member Age : 57

View user profile http://www.stevenesbitt.co.uk

Back to top Go down

More black bits

Post by nuevoboy on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Having suffered from the black bits developing in the flush tank in the past, I was advised that the Thetford Pink Rinse fluid was the problem.
I stopped using it for a while, (or a least at a much weaker concentration) and all was well.

Having just about run out of the stuff, I was thinking of converting to Elsan Organic Green fluid, which can be used in both the flush tank and the cassette.

I spoke to one of the traders at the Shrewsbury Motorhome Show last weekend and he stated that unless it says on the bottle that the product is "anti-bacterial" then the formation of the black algae can occur.

I'm still keen to switch to the Green Organic fluid for the cassette and am now considering trying some sort of "bio" product for the flush tank.
I see from previous posts that Morrisons Bio Super Concentrated Laundry Liquid has been recommended, which appears to be similar to advice on another forum (sorry) recommending one of Lidl's bio fluids, which I could never find.

Can someone please confirm that these Bio liquids do actually work in stopping the formation of the black algae.

Thanks.
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thetford Toilet Cassette

Post by newterry on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Some time ago Charles Trevalyen (THE AS god !) told me that a batch of flush tanks (eg. Dorset/Symbols around 2002/3) used a type of plastic that attracted the black stuff.
His remedy was a cupful of Milton in a tank 3/4 full and go out for a run over as many speed bumps as possible. Drain and refill with plain water and repeat the run round. Drain and refill (I've always used pink) and the problem should go away, if not repeat the exercise once more. I guess the same process would work on cassettes though I've needed to do it.
Hope that helps.
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Newterry

Thanks very much for your post yesterday. Doris has been plagued with black bits in the toilet since we refilled the toilet after the winter.
Following your instructions  the tank is now spotless all the black has disappeared from inside.

As Doris is a 1992 model it is not the tank but the pink fluid we have been using that is the cause, will change to one of the suggestions on here.

Thanks again.

Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thetford Toilet Cassette