Rotten wood floor underneath MH

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rotten wood floor underneath MH

Post by meanchris on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:43 pm

I don't think that there's any suggestion or suspicion that the entire floor is rotten, or the structural integrity compromised, is there?

As for the "habitation check", this just demonstrates what I've always suspected, IMHO it's the equivalent of some car servicing, a waste of money in other words.

It certainly didn't pick this problem up did it?

Much as it pains me to say, having sold the van, it appears that the delamination has been there for some time. Maybe it was previously covered up by the skin of the underseal and it's been saturated with water from a leak somewhere over the winter, which has frozen and broken it all up.

If it was me, I'd remove the rear bumper, dig out what's rotten, replace it with some kind of resin, maybe putting a sheet of something to support the repair above and below (like shuttering concrete) and get on with using it.

I rebuilt the sugar scoop on a friend's big yacht this way, when the boarding ladder's flexing ripped out the mounting plates and delaminated the hull sandwich.

It's not that difficult if you have some practical skills, especially if the area isn't too big and it isn't structural.

I'm now feeling a bit defensive, but I don't know why I should, because I had no idea there was a problem.  shrugg fedup
meanchris

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:57 pm

It's always difficult selling and buying used vehicles Chris, it can't be nice but I don't think anyone's suggesting you've done anything you shouldn't have, most of us rely on others to warn us of out of sight problems, and unless you buy from a dealer or pay for an inspection you never know what's going to crop up, it would be nice to see Pepsi get the issue resolved though up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by immobilejim on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Pepsi,
I have just recovered from having to deal with damp problems in my Amethyst.
I can recommend a motorhome technician who could presumably do the job for you - he is in Grimsby and as it appears you are in York, it might be worth driving across here to let him give an opinion/quotation.
I have found him to be very competent and reasonable price-wise.
If you are still in a fix and interested, pm me and I will give you his details ?
Jim.
immobilejim
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepsi on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi all just a quick update , bumper is off and all rot taken out from underneath van, about 4 by 3 filled M/H with water turned all taps on etc and no sign of leakage, daren't leave water in overnight as we are still getting frosts here, did find a small hole in the top seal of back window covered with a bit of tape you never know it could be that! Anyway the chaps going to use fiberglass boards apparently. Hab check man gave all ticks for damp and  delamination and he was from the AWS

The metal structure under van seems sound, I don't think we will be doing a Freddie flintstone just yet!!

Thanks for the recommendation  immobilejim I hope to get to the bottom of it, but if not it is nice to know there is somebody not too far away maybe able to help:up!:

Many thanks to all:smile!:
Pepsi

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi,

when you say "about 4 by 3", do you mean feet, inches, or... uncertain

Is it all along the back edge or just in one corner.

The reason I'm asking is that if it's not water, then I've convinced myself that someone has bumped into something when reversing or similar (not us I hasten to add), which might explain why AS are not used to seeing this.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepsi on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 am

Hi meanchris,   its about 4 ft across by 3 foot but the rest of it seems solid, so it may have taken a bump a while back I hope it has really will put pics on soon as I can smile!
Pepsi

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Parkes on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Just a thought for consideration. We have a 1994 AS Talisman and the Sureflow water pump is located behind the cupboard back panel under the sink. Our pump developed a leak last year and we had to replace the pump (after all it was manufactured in July 1992). Looking at your video, the cupboard looks the same as ours so, unless you know different, check to see if the Sureflow pump is located behind the cupboard back panel and if it is leaking or any of the pipe connections(check also the sink and shower waste pipes). The back panel can be remove fairly easily and it also gives a view of the floor condition internally and may help to plan an economical repair.

Hope this helps in some way - I would inspect behind the back panel anyway regardless if your pump is mounted there or not.

Good luck on finding a solution.
Peter Parkes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 pm

We owned this van before pepsi.

The water pump on their van is screwed to the bench seat bulkhead behind the driver's seat, so not that.

There is however a drain bowl, behind the washroom sink which we had to remove when the drain began overflowing as it was blocked with the previous owners' hair and soap. Maybe it had been a problem for a long time and had been overflowing behind the closed off partition in the washroom.

None of this explains how it could have penetrated the resin sheath on the upper side of the flooring ply though.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Any updates yet Pepsi?
meanchris

Female

View user profile