Upgrade seems to have killed the Forum

Go down

Upgrade seems to have killed the Forum

Post by brodco on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi wave

Ohh  calamity!  back on the old steam powered PC again. shrugg

I've just “upgraded” to the latest version of Firefox and the just afterwards I noticed the forum wasn't working properly, in Firefox or Explorer (Windoze 8.1 64 bit and Firefox 44.0.2).

I can login but no option to start a new thread, no reply button, no quote button and no emoticons. In an attempt to fix it I then ran Ccleaner and cleared all cookies etc - no effect shrugg shrugg shrugg

I did some more system checking and the only problem I found was “Java plugin disabled in browser” I couldn't find any way to activate it so I went to the Firefox website and found a message:

“Note the new 64 bit version of Firefox does not support the Java plugin”

If that IS the cause of the problem it seems that it has killed Java on the whole machine (because Explorer doesn't work either) so it looks as if I'll need to uninstall Firefox and then try and reinstall Java and find another browser.

Question before I do, does anyone know if the forum actually uses Java or am I on the wrong track altogether?

Any other suggestions?

Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Re: Upgrade seems to have killed the Forum

Post by roli on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:08 pm

Chrome also has its own version of Java built in which may cause conflict with any Oracle Java installation.
On the pc s and devices here I always check these things with what I consider the main ones, always the latest or last available version and on Windows 10 Linux Mint or Ubuntu,Android and iOS and have not had problems this week or so.
There was a similar problem posted recently and I cannot remember the outcome. Next time I am on the pc I will try and find the thread.
Meanwhile you could try either Safari (Windows Version). Internet Explorer 11 or Edge Browsers

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi wave

Thanks for the info Roger. up!

I wasn't even aware that there was a version of Safari for Windows! You learn something every day.

Is there a version of Edge for Windows 8.1? I've still got reservations about Windows 10 so not ready to upgrade yet.

The affected machine is a relatively new (just over a year old)  Lenovo i7 set to automatic updates so the OS etc should be up to date. It's never had Chrome installed so a Java clash shouldn't be a problem. It was working fine until the latest Firefox update so I'm fairly sure that's where the problem is (need to keep an open mind though because weird coincidences do happen).

roli wrote:have not had problems this week or so

According to the Firefox web site the latest update was only released today so it's possible that other people will experience problems when they upgrade. Or possibly not, it may be that the machine just hates me.  hugegrins What concerns me is it seems to have killed Java not only in Firefox but on the whole machine.

At the moment I'm doing a full disk backup before I start playing (just in case)  think_smiley_46 and it says about 4½ hours to run so I won't be looking at it tonight. I'll try what you suggested, but it'll probably have to be next week now.

Brod
brodco

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:17 am

This is running on Firefox 44.0.2 ok   Have a look at what plug ins you have installed

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi  wave
roli wrote:This is running on Firefox 44.0.2 ok   Have a look at what plug ins you have installed
Now that is weird (are you using the 64 bit version?).  Things were OK before I upgraded Firefox. I also tried Chrome and got exactly the same result.

However, as you suggested I tried Safari and it works fine so at least I’m up and running again (thanks for the suggestion). up!

I went searching for clues on the Oracle website and they say that Java is no longer supported by Firefox or Chrome so as it’s working for you it suggests that Java isn’t the problem and it’s something else entirely (can’t think what though).   scratch head

I’ll investigate a bit more when time permits but it’ll be interesting to see if anyone else gets similar problems. I may be back later to ask you to compare your plug ins with mine if that’s OK.

Brod
brodco

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:51 am

Hi wave

Solved!

I was on the wrong track looking at the java stuff.  It was my security software causing the problem. Kaspersky Internet Security didn’t like the script behind the buttons and stopped it from running, hence the buttons didn’t appear.

I made a fundamental mistake (never assume). I’d updated Kaspersky earlier in the week but I hadn’t been on the forum since. When I did try and access the forum, Firefox updated first so I assumed it was that update causing the problem.

The solution is to add “www.autosleepe-ownersforum.com” to the exceptions in the “Private Browsing” settings.

Brod
brodco

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum