Anyone with children, advice for cab beds.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone with children, advice for cab beds.

Post by Smithy on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Still getting used to the new van (Harmony) but between work and the weather not had an opportunity to stay overnight in it yet! 

We also have to get a bed sorted out for the wee one. I saw these and was wondering if anyone had used these with any success? I think they are meant for the rear seats but I think it could work in the front:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Inflatable-Mattress-Camping-Universal/dp/B00MUIWD3C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51qnAosl7RL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=03TSKG0FYWY6TF2MJCAK
Smithy

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone with children, advice for cab beds.

Post by Smithy on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:47 pm

I should have said - planning to put a piece of ply or board of some sort between the two from seats if i got this.
Smithy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:44 pm

I'd advise that you do a quick measure up first - that specific product looks to me to be too wide to fit between front seats and dash.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 am

I have seen a photo of a childs bed that fits across the cab seats, probably on the VW T4 Owners forum,I will have a look for you, I am a member.

Found it, Cab Beds, fits 6months -13 years, tested up to 10 stone, site is VW beds do fit other makes, they make them so perhaps ring  07817548537 and ask, do several colours, also another idea a camp bed from go outdoors, measure width of cab, cut poles to fit and replace plastic end caps, then put bedding on top, folds away for easy storage and being canvas will keep the little one in the middle. will last for a few years as the child grows, this is the cheapest option I have found about £12.

Hope this is of some use,

best regards,
Margaret

Last edited by daisy mae on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found it.)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smithy on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, I saw those beds on the T4 forum Daisy Mae too, a possible option!

We are toying with fabricating an over bunk set up (i.e. in the high top) A friend of mine did their own van conversion and reckoned this was the best way forward as it gives the wee one their own space plus you still have the front seats free for overnight type stuff. Also less disturbance to the little one if she is sleeping and you are still up 'downstairs'!

We are hoping to get away in it finally next weekend, I'm thinking we may just use two single inflatable mattresses and a bit of board between the two seats we already have to create a temporary system in the meantime (saw that on the T4 forum too).

I will report back with what we do, may be useful for someone else in future.
Smithy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:47 pm

Smithy wrote:I'm thinking we may just use two single inflatable mattresses and a bit of board between the two seats we already have to create a temporary system

Not sure what came with your van when you bought it, but have you got any table tops hidden away which may fit in the gap between the front seats?
Loose cushions from the o/s rear seat could fill the void?

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Is this the same as the cab bed referred to above...

http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smithy on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:04 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:
Smithy wrote:I'm thinking we may just use two single inflatable mattresses and a bit of board between the two seats we already have to create a temporary system

Not sure what came with your van when you bought it, but have you got any table tops hidden away which may fit in the gap between the front seats?
Loose cushions from the o/s rear seat could fill the void?

PB
The van came with an additional removable 'flap' attached to the outside of the bathroom to increase work surface area (looks like original, same wood etc but may have been added by previous owner). This is exactly the same width as the gap and has a good overlap so it wouldn't fall through the gap. However may have a different solution now! (see below )

Paulmold - I had ordered a Cabbunk and seems a very good product indeed but it wasn't quite working in my van as whilst both front seats swivel, the way the double makes up in our van we need to have the drivers seat facing forward as the rail gets in the way of the table top which makes up the bed (we could cut a chunk out of the table!  confused0) However, I've been out today and may have a solution: I have kept both seats forward facing and in effect used the cabbunk in reverse. Threaded a piece of strong nylon rope through the pole at the front. I have then used a piece of plastic conduit to create a 'stop' which I can then trap in the door to hold the cabbunk up with the piece of rope. The only slight issue might be rainwater wicking in through the cord as part of it is outside but I am thinking about wrapping the section that passes through the door in a silicone sleeve or similar to maintain a water tight seal if I decide this is the way forward. 

Inspiration came from here but I only need to suspend one side of the bunk from the door as the headrest pockets in the Cabbunk hold the other side: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381648

I will try posting some pictures later.
Smithy

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mills1983 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:57 pm

we use a readybed (I think there are 2 sizes, ours is the smaller 'my first readybed') over the front seats. We put the parcel shelf down first to bridge the gap between the seats, and then put the small side table top that is in our Trident vertically between the seats to bridge that gap. It's a bit fiddly but works well for our 18 month old!
mills1983

Male

Member Age : 34
Auto-Sleeper : T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum