The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement

4 posters

Go down

Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement Empty Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement

Post by alanf Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm a new member so please bear with me if this has already been covered (I couldn't see anything in the search).

I have a 2001 Pollensa on a transit chassis.  The high level brake light is not functioning so needs replacing.
I've tried to remove it externally but it seems its stuck on pretty good. The replacement I've obtained has brass nuts in the plastic rear molding so I'm thinking it must be held on by those internally, but I've read elsewhere on the forum that the lights are just held in with mastic - does anyone know if this is correct for the Pollensa?

This afternoon I've taken the cupboards down above the sink to see if I could gain access that way but the rear of the cupboard is just the wall of the van.

I have drilled and cut out an access square in the back of the cupboard to the rear of the light but that hasn't revealed anything other than polystyrene and a reddy coloured board.  Will the electrics be behind this board? Is it a sandwich construction with the outer part of the wall and the polystyrene?

Anyway, if anyone has had to do this or can offer any advice I would be most greatful.

Access will also hopefully give me the chance to look at the rear camera, which also isn't working.

Thanks in advance
Alan
alanf
alanf

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement Empty Re: Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement

Post by Paul Cringle Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi 
the high level brake light LED is only held in its recess with silicone rubber adhesive it will come off with a bit of leverage taking care not to scratch the fiberglass you will not be able to access the camera lead from behind as there is only a tiny hole allowing twin core wire through for the light
The brass thread insets in the new light are not used for fixing the light.
Paul Cringle
Paul Cringle

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Palermo

Back to top Go down

Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement Empty Re: Pollensa highlevel brake light replacement

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Alan
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by alanf Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks guys.
I'll take another look at the light from the outside when I get a chance then.
I've got a nice hole in the back of the cupboard I need to cover now :-)
alanf
alanf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:07 am

This from when I replaced mine. Not Pollensa, but can't be that much different.
Al.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by alanf Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Cheers Al, looks like I will have to take that approach although now I have cut a hole in the back of the cupboard I might see if I can get to the wires that way as I still need to sort out the reversing camera and it might give me enough room to play around with that too.
Your method is great for if all that goes wrong though, which it still could.
alanf
alanf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alanf Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:42 pm

So I've managed to change the light over by removing it from the outside and bonding the new light back on.
I've not got around to the camera yet, another thing still to do on the list.
alanf
alanf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Ace.. Like you say, always something else to do on the list...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down