The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on Purchase

+7
paul bullock
Peter Brown
daisy mae
roli
dbroada
m8form8
cheryltim
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Advice on Purchase - Page 2 Empty Re: Advice on Purchase

Post by daisy mae Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Sorry Chris, I do not agree VW T4 are past their sell by date, what assumption have you based this on ? don`t think VW owners will agree with you, mine is a 2003, 16,000 0n the clock, very economical and a joy to drive, parts if any required are available, touch wood haven`t needed any,  plus there is a big respect for  all over the world.Not the rust problems of the transits ( I haven`t any rust ) and not the engine problems of the Peugeots, as for Fiats will not go there. So what is not to  like,? plenty of models still available in the pre 2004 Auto-sleepers on a VW base. Even 14 year models at the price member wants to pay. These vans will still be going when the new vans will have hit the dust. Can always update the interior when funds allow , they are solidly built unlike newer vans , and they hold their price well, I got more for my first one than I paid for it, and I was offered just £2,000 less than I paid from a well known dealer. Say no more.

I am a very proud owner of one my second and wouldn`t have any other make.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryltim Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for this it makes me feel better. I appreciate Chris's comments but it would mean I could/would not enter into the market. I think I need to continue my search however there are not many VW's around at this price in this area.
cheryltim
cheryltim

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:55 pm

I put my name down on lots of dealers lists stating what I was interested in, I got my last one from Spinney ( that was quite a way for me to go, but so glad I did ) who notified me before it was advertised so was able to see and buy, before this I made arrangements to view and they were sold before I got there,

Very rarely do you find your ideal van on your doorstep, I went up and down the country literally before I found the one I bought, the first one I bought privately from an ad in the Caravan Club Classifies, had only been put on there  an hour beforehand. 

Good luck in your search, it is a good time to buy.
Best regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm

cheryltim wrote:Thanks for this it makes me feel better. I appreciate Chris's comments but it would mean I could/would not enter into the market. I think I need to continue my search however there are not many VW's around at this price in this area.
Have you decided what layout you would like, whether van conversion or small coach built,? Clubman GL`S seem more plentiful than other models. If you have a look on eBay you will see the market and prices, be careful though some rogues about but also some genuine sellers.

Good luck

Shuggiegreen went down to Cornwall from Scotland to buy his.

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cornwall from Scotland)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryltim Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm

I think similar to yours. Need to make sure I fit into it being 6ft. Good idea re dealers. Thanks
cheryltim
cheryltim

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Oops, I seem to have upset the volkswagen fraternity. I owned a t4 for a while and loved it, it was a coburn holdsworth, low milage and great quality but just not big enough. For interest I checked its mot history and was shocked at the number of failure items, so at 17 years old any vehicle can have faults, with a peugeot this can be terminal. I bought my symbol petrol at 3 years old, under 10,000 miles at around £ 24,000. Over the next few years the speedo failed, gearbox out for inspection, recurrent strange noises from the drive train eventually traced to a missing spacer when replacing wheel bearings, new clutch due to rusting, erratic tickover fault which was extremely difficult and expensive to sort out. Add two sets of tyres due to age plus two cambelt changes and its been an expensive experience over the last 13 years. People need to go into purchase with their eyes wide open,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:15 pm

I have not or has there been any MOT failures  on mine, it was a one owner from new when I bought her, no matter what vehicle it is it all depends on how well it has been looked after, also you are going to have cam belts, oil changes etc on any make of van, called maintenance, I have an oil change and filter done every year, or 3,000 miles which ever comes first.up to now it is far cheaper than any other vehicles I have had, and they were numerous marques, including 3 Volvo Estates. I use BP Ultimate as it makes the engine quieter, smoother and I get higher mpg, my van is also cheaper on Insurance, road tax and fuel so all in all cheaper than all my other vehicles as this is my everyday vehicle it is also my holiday home. I am more than happy , just wish I had bought one years ago.

We can only go on what our personnel experience has been / is, at the end of the day the more research you do and more informed you are the better the outcome for you.

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info.)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryltim Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks for all the comments they are really useful to me. Sadly there are not many VW clubman for sale in my price band at the moment....to be continued
cheryltim
cheryltim

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:09 am

Hi,
I think the moral of this is to buy a volkswagen that has been well looked after,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:44 am

Hi,
VWs can be good it is true, but a well rust proofed Transit base is not a bad option either if looking in your price range don't rule them out. I have just sold mine and at 21 years of age she was still in fine condition with lots of life in her still, yes she was slow with a 2.5 non turbo and an auto box but she took us all over Europe and up the Alps and Pyrenees OK. Part of the enjoyment is plodding along not racing at speed. 
Do bare in mind however all these older vans are liable to have problems as time progresses but certainly the Transits and VWs were better engineered and spares are available still.  up!
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by cheryltim Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for your comments, will keep a open mind
cheryltim
cheryltim

Male

Back to top Go down

Advice on Purchase - Page 2 Empty Re advice on purchase

Post by Organplayer Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:19 pm

I notice what Daisey Mae says about VW in comparison to Fiat, Peugeot and Ford based m/hmes.

The six m/hmes we have had in the last twenty years, one on a 1995 Ford Transit for nine years, the second on a Fiat which we had for five years and did the usual trips to France, Spain and Scandinavia up to Nordkap, then four, including our current van all on the Peugeot, have all performed superbly with no troubles at all.

However to keep trouble at bay, all the vans have/ are serviced with no expense spared. I honestly believe one cannot motorhome on the cheap.

Just my take on it.

Ed
Organplayer
Organplayer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down