J rail Search

View previous topic View next topic Go down

J rail Search

Post by Booker on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:04 pm

I am looking to fix 2.8m of J rail to the gutter of my Trident for lovely easy fitting of my awning but I am amazed at how difficult it is proving to be to find the amount I need at a reasonable price and from somewhere that is willing to post! C rail I can find but J rail is not so easy.

Anyone have any useful info on this?
Booker

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: J rail Search

Post by Paulmold on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 pm

As you are in Poole, have you tried these people

Charles & Son59 Old Warehan Road, Poole, Dorset, BH12 4QN 
01202 733772

I don't think you will get a length posted by anyone, you can't curl it into a roll. So if Charles (if still in business) can't help, you need to visit your local motorhome,/Caravan shops. 
I did find someone on Google who may post but you have to buy 6 lengths, single ones only being available if you buy an awning. That may be the case at other sellers unless you can pick up.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:37 pm

Why not use the C rail. I did and found it worked a treat, I bought from on line it was a 3mtr length only firm that did it in one piece.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Booker on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Paulmold wrote:As you are in Poole, have you tried these people

Charles & Son59 Old Warehan Road, Poole, Dorset, BH12 4QN 
01202 733772

I don't think you will get a length posted by anyone, you can't curl it into a roll. So if Charles (if still in business) can't help, you need to visit your local motorhome,/Caravan shops. 
I did find someone on Google who may post but you have to buy 6 lengths, single ones only being available if you buy an awning. That may be the case at other sellers unless you can pick up.
Yeah know Carles and son, they are now out of business and I came up with the six length things as well, thanks for trying
Booker

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Booker on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:03 pm

daisy mae wrote:Why not use the C rail. I did and found it worked a treat, I bought from on line it was a 3mtr length only firm that did it in one piece.
I have been considering this as i can source locally, wasnt sure how well it held figure 8's?
Booker

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:27 pm

C rail will hold figure 8's just as well as a J rail, in fact probably more securely.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Booker on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:29 pm

well thats great to know, might just bimble off the my local camping emporium for a purchase!  up!
Booker

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:12 pm

J rails are easier to use than C rails. After using both I would never go back to a C rail again. Never had any problem with it, never came undone and so much quicker to fit the awning to.

Try http://www.thecaravancompany.com
or
http://www.chichester-caravans.co.uk/.

These are firms that sell second hand caravans/motorhomes and might just have a J rail hanging about. Both are fairly close to you and it only takes a phone call.
Believe it or not I got one at Autosleepers in Willersey for my last van. They found one in their workshop but it was their last one
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:19 pm

daisy mae wrote:Why not use the C rail. I did and found it worked a treat, I bought from on line it was a 3mtr length only firm that did it in one piece.
I found it very easy to use and it was secure, I am only 5`2" so wasn`t a problem for me on my Topaz. Easier still for someone taller.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 am

The J rail is more suitable for a higher mounting position such as a coachbuilt van as it needs a downward force on it from figure of 8's to hold the awning securely, i.e it needs the front edge of the awning to be much lower than the back to give that downward pressure. On a van such as the Trident, I think the C rail would give a more secure hold on the awning. Just my opinion.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum