Clubman Modifications

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman Modifications

Post by NORGIL on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Having lived with their Clubman for a while, has anyone made any subtle (or otherwise ) mods which they feel enhances its use ?

Not so much thinking of the big stuff like solar panels, although thats on my considering list, more little things that just make it more livable and personalised.

Cheers

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman Modifications

Post by logburner on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:08 pm

First modification I did, was an extension airline to my underslung spare wheel, so I could check the tyre pressure from the side of the van, along with all the other tyres, instead of scrabbling underneath to reach it in the cradle.   bow
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi, I have put a drop down flap on the side of the fridge over the settee, I made it out of a rectangle bread board , gave it three coats of Danish oil, (and the colour is the same as the auto-sleeper wood, so looks like an OS, ) screwed two drop down brackets to the side of the fridge and hey presto extra worktop/ plus somewhere to put glasses/coffee cups as my TV is on a bracket at the side of the cocktail cabinet. Handy when dishing up the dinner.

Another is after taking out the shelf in the overhead locker over settee passenger side, trimmed up the shelf glued / screwed two blocks of wood to one long side, Velcro strips on the other long side, the lip of the shelf is the back, it fits on the bed supports at the end of the settees behind the cab seats, the Velcro sticks to the carpet on the bed supports and the wood blocks saves it tipping off, now have a coffee / drinks /glasses/ books etc table at the cab end of the settees which is very handy previously there was nowhere to put a cup down at that end, just pulls off and is stored in the over cab locker.,Same wood as the rest so fits in well.

Cut carpet out around the furniture, replaced with wood effect vinyl flooring, easy to keep clean, looks cleaner / brighter and more modern, put in loose carpets for the winter for extra insulation.

An electric socket near sink for kettle, plus a Brambatia sp kitchen roll holder, the side next to the cooker have put a rail with small butchers hooks for kitchen utensils.a small piece of pipe lagging over the hooks stops them rattling in transit and stops any scratching of the wood.

A mirror on the outside of the wardrobe door, chrome hooks in the bathroom, two on the back of the door, an extending white rail across the bathroom, for wet coats / towels with the blown air heating on dries in no time.

A longer  shower curtain rail. which now goes all aroung the area, covers up the toilet, window and door so no toilet etc to wipe down and dry off after a shower, much easier. towels on top of toilet seat or on the hooks on the wall remain dry.

Replaced spot light bulbs with LEDS. next Wednesday having LED`s in the strip lights, bright white in loo and over kitchen warm light elsewhere.( firm that makes them also attends the shows very good quality ones, Atem lighting), only 4 miles from me, so taking van there for him to fit.

Completely reupholstered last June cream leather cab seats , half leather habitation seats, magazine holder on the wardrobe side wall as in the new vans, material Auto-sleepers in their new vans. beige / creams.

Need a new tap on waste tank one I can reach without going under the van. with flexable hose to fit in a wheeled waste container. Think I am done then.

Have a small zipped top cool bag which just fits in the cab between the seats and attached  behind the gear stick, under the dashboard,  Velcro on the bottom, sticks to carpet,  to hold drinks, sweets, etc while travelling, easily removed when needed.

Still thinking of other things to make life more comfortable on the road, I enjoy making these little changes, all in keeping with the van looking good and not bodge jobs.

First thing was the twin cameras, screen on the rear view mirror, best thing I have bought. a cigarette lighter charging gadjet  with two usb`s. and  a Sat Nav.

Last edited by daisy mae on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : same wood missed out.)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Logburner, thats a great idea. Where did you scource it from ? looked on ebay they all seem too short. There is no way I could get under the van to release and fit the spare but at least I can make sure its properly inflated for the breakdown guys.

cheers

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Best thing I have done to mine so far is fit a ' kinked ' gear lever extension, It's made the drive just that bit more pleasant not having to reach forward.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks Margaret, will definately be stealing a couple of those ideas !

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Your welcome Norman. all helps to make travelling a breeze.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:16 pm

NORGIL wrote:Logburner, thats a great idea. Where did you scource it from ? looked on ebay they all seem too short. There is no way I could get under the van to release and fit the spare but at least I can make sure its properly inflated for the breakdown guys.

cheers

Norman
Hi Norman,
Not easy to get hold off, but mine came from www.timbertrail4x4.co.uk  Ivybridge, Devon.
Its called  A Spairline spare tyre inflation/test kit          Its 1 Mtr. long......so it fits nicely.    Cost £14.99 free p&p. from their ebay shop.
Takes a bit of finding.......just looked, and they sold one on 16th Jan 2016,    so they are still available.     Phone No. 01752 898820
Best of luck in your search.........wouldn't be without it.  allthumbz
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Many thanks logburner, A good investment i think. Theres no way i can crawl under the van so I will get my son to fit one for me, will give me some peace of mind otherwise it would only get checked on the annual service.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Your welcome Norman.....
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 am

My favourites are:
the short shift gear-lever mod along with a 150mm cranked extension.
Upgraded the front brakes with Black Diamond discs & pads (wow, what a difference!!) I found the standard brakes frightening.
Upgraded the shocks with Sachs HD's. Virtually eliminated roll & sway.
A Pendle Performance re map is a must if u have a 2.5tdi. Paid for itself already due to the improvement in fuel economy.

Rear camera with the screen over the rear view mirror.

I changed the steering wheel for a lovely alcantara covered sporty wheel. I hated the skinny slippery standard one.
Pamponi

Male

Member Age : 42
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 am

in my VW  2.5tdi I get high 30`s to low 40`s have got 46 mpg  on a long journey, this is without remap, I must be missing something here, I think it is a male thing to do modding, if it ain`t broke don`t mend it in my book, each to their own of course. just saying. smile!
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:27 am

Cheers Pamponi

Will bear your suggestion in mind next time the brakes are done, Have only just had mine done, despite the van having had an new mot the day before i collected it, when i got it home i took it to the garage because of a slight squeal, my garage replaced all disks and pads (with standard vw ones) because they were totally worn down to metal on metal. So much for mot's ! But it stops on a sixpence now so alls well.

I dont know what shocks are on mine but I dont seem to get much body roll, have to say i've not done a proper trip in it yet but day to day use its pretty stiff bodied.

I do wonder if re-mapping is an age thing, it was not around when i grew up with cars (i dont think ! ) my early days we were de coking as opposed to re-mapping lol. Got nothing against it, and might try it if she goes off the boil but I am getting pretty good mpg (i thnk ) around mid 30s, Not so good as daisy mae but mine is older 2001 and has done 40,000.

I really want a reversing camera, but I am allergic (the idea brings me out in spots..lol) to drilling any holes in the monocoque. If there is a way of fitting one without making a hole I will be first in queue.

Thanks for the suggestions, they all lurk at the back of the brain till i have a rush of blood and try something out. 

I think I have M.A.D its like S.A.D only instead of Seasonally affected its unable to use Motorhome affected.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 pm

I can't visualise the rear number plate and number plate light arrangement on the back of a Clubman, but I've seen some really neat reversing cameras that either integrate into the number plate surround or the number plate illumination. The good thing about that is that you should (in theory at least) be able to take the wiring for the camera through the hole that the number plate light wire goes through. You would probably have to modify the light fitting itself, but it should mean no extra holes...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Must say, on reflection, my latest modification has let me rest easy.........and must be my best,
(bestest ??) hugegrins   in  that the relay, that allows the surplus amps from a fully charged leisure battery, flow then into the vehicle battery, keeping it charged, when on hook-up.
No more worrying that the vehicle battery is going flat.   allthumbz
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Burrow01 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Sounds good -where did you get it from?
Burrow01

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Burrow01 wrote:Sounds good -where did you get it from?

This is what you want, dead easy to fit 3 wires, 1 to earth, 1 to positive leisure battery and 1 to positive cab battery.
When leisure battery reaches 13.3 volts it sends the charge to cab battery, works well with on board charger and solar panels.
John.

[img(70px,52px):fd5b]http://leisurelines.net/ekmps/shops/caktanks1/images/battery-charge-manager-leisure-main-battery-3334-p[ekm]70x52[ekm].jpg[/img:fd5b]BATTERY CHARGE MANAGER LEISURE & MAIN BATTERY
£27.53
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:53 am

Burrow01 wrote:Sounds good -where did you get it from?

Sorry Burrow, just seen your post.......mine came from RPS Leisure.co.uk, on 01245 38668  or  07719794269 @ £21.99 inc P&P.    up!
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Has anybody with a clubman found a suitable piece of wood or table etc to fit in the gap between the front seats once your parked up and got the square cushions in situ?

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:58 pm

I took the shelf out of the wall cupboard on the near side ,nearest to bulkhead, then found a use for the shelf,  and used  it for a small table , stays on the settee / bed support ends, behind the cab seats,  did put support wood battens underneath so that it doesn`t tip, big enough for, coffee cups, beer glasses plates etc. it has Velcro strip underneath and this goes on the carpet lining, to secure, easy to take off and store in the Luton.

Or did you want a table that actually goes between the front seats?, I tried a few ways to get that , the way above was the best I could come up with, as it is the same wood it blends in nicely with the rest of the van, if using settees as a double that makes a table at the front end,  I don`t , but is still handy when using as a single bed.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:23 pm

That's great thanks. Will look to see how easy it is to remove the shelf and let you know

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:38 pm

ernshrop wrote:That's great thanks. Will look to see how easy it is to remove the shelf and let you know

It wasn`t easy on my van. the screws are hidden, in the adjacent wall cupboard on mine it`s the pot cupboard, on the side are some very small screw cap covers, prise these off , I could see the screws trouble was they were put in backwards, if you know what the fittings are like on flat pack furniture, the barrel sort ,that go in to join two pieces then a round bit that you turn to tighten, AS had used those ,  well mine was put in the opposite to the usual way, so had to price from the other side, a small piece of the wood broke off, that was ok as I trimmed it up later , couldn`t see how else to get them out, at the back were screws that were put in from the back before putting in the van, with numerous cups of coffee and weighing up the situation eventually got it out with minimum damage. took some time but I was determined it WAS coming out.

Good luck, Will try to take a photo tomorrow and put it on here.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamsteve on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:06 pm

logburner wrote:Must say, on reflection, my latest modification has let me rest easy.........and must be my best,
(bestest ??) hugegrins   in  that the relay, that allows the surplus amps from a fully charged leisure battery, flow then into the vehicle battery, keeping it charged, when on hook-up.
No more worrying that the vehicle battery is going flat.   allthumbz
 Many thanks for this have ordered one yesterday arrived to day allthumbz , now just got to fit it.
steamsteve
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:47 pm

daisy mae wrote:
ernshrop wrote:That's great thanks. Will look to see how easy it is to remove the shelf and let you know

It wasn`t easy on my van. the screws are hidden, in the adjacent wall cupboard on mine it`s the pot cupboard, on the side are some very small screw cap covers, prise these off , I could see the screws trouble was they were put in backwards, if you know what the fittings are like on flat pack furniture, the barrel sort ,that go in to join two pieces then a round bit that you turn to tighten, AS had used those ,  well mine was put in the opposite to the usual way, so had to price from the other side, a small piece of the wood broke off, that was ok as I trimmed it up later , couldn`t see how else to get them out, at the back were screws that were put in from the back before putting in the van, with numerous cups of coffee and weighing up the situation eventually got it out with minimum damage. took some time but I was determined it WAS coming out.

Good luck, Will try to take a photo tomorrow and put it on here.

Sorry the photos went in another thread, you have probably done it by now, but have put these on, the drop down worktop I put on the side of the fridge is on the other thread if you are interested in that.

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photos in another thread)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum