Defrost Water Heater

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Defrost Water Heater

Post by NORGIL on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi all,

Just found a switch with red light near habitation door in my Clubman marked " Defrost Water Heater ". I can find no reference to this in the manual. At the moment all water is drained down from the vehicle, shoud i instead have left this switch on ?  Is there some sort of warming element in the tank, there is nothing obvious on the outside of the tank.

Cheers
Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Defrost Water Heater

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm

I would guess there is an accessory tank water heater fitted. Do not switch it on when the tank is empty. I also expect it will be quite a current draw on the Leisure battery so would suggest only using it when on mains hook up.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks Peter.

This apears to be an original fitting for the van, it is exactly the same as the other electrical switches/sockets etc in colour aand style and in no way looks an addition as the fit is spot on. Does anyone else have one of these and do they use it ?

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am

If it is a water tank heater it was not an original fit on the van but if it was installed by the AS Service Centre it would have been done to match the rest.

The only way to check is to get at the tank and see if there is a heater element installed and then check if the switch operates it.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:22 am

It puzzles me, not difficult I know !  It says defrost as opposed to anti frost. even if it keeps the tank warm surely if its cold enough to freeze the tank the pipework to the bathroom, kitchen etc would still freeze. In that respect it seems pointless. I will have a closer look at the tank and see if I can determine anything, but i am totally new to motorhoming and don't really know what i am looking at anyway. 

Whatever it does I think I will stick to keeping all water drained out of the vehicle over Winter as I don't intend to use the van till the risk of frost is gone.

I just wish I had known that this motorhoming lark was so complicated and stressful before I went out and bought one !

Anybody want to buy a Clubman ...lol

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:27 am

Hi, we had water and waste water heaters fitted when our Nuevo was being built, with a nice neat switch and red warning light by the side of the door near to the step switch. The only problem is no one seems to know how they work!! My question was , are they governed by temperature? But then are they also sensitive to the levels in the tanks?Dont forget there is only one switch for both tanks! Being a very cautious person I have never been bold enough to switch them on to find out, must admit it would be nice to know [the switch is taped over to avoid accidental "switch on"]    Regards    Paul
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:44 pm

NORGIL wrote:

I just wish I had known that this motorhoming lark was so complicated and stressful before I went out and bought one !

Don't panic, its not that hard and we all had to start somewhere.

If you read the introduction on pages 1-2 and 1-3 of the handbook at the link below I think you'll find that useful - it wasn't included in handbooks when your van was made.

http://www.auto-sleepers.com/media/2014/12/Berkshire-Hampshire-2009-handbook.pdf

Just about any question you can think about asking will have been answered on this forum at one time or the other so search for topics that interest you or just scroll through the threads in each forum section.

If you can't find what you want then one of the longer term members will be able to point you in the right direction.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Many thanks Peter. I am awaiting the opportunity to actually get out in the old girl and meet a few other owners in person. I have no yet had chance to meet anyone with a similar van and establish best practice / shortcuts etc. As far as I can establish, everything that should work does and she drives beautifully, so bring on some decent weather, and hopefully I can shake her down over a couple of trips before heading off for France around April.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:06 pm

NORGIL wrote:Many thanks Peter. I am awaiting the opportunity to actually get out in the old girl and meet a few other owners in person. I have no yet had chance to meet anyone with a similar van and establish best practice / shortcuts etc. As far as I can establish, everything that should work does and she drives beautifully, so bring on some decent weather, and hopefully I can shake her down over a couple of trips before heading off for France around April.

Norman

You won't go far wrong with that attitude Norman. content

Have you been to France in a motorhome before? If not there are an enormous number of hints and tips available (and a few caveats!!) further to enhance the experience. France is so much more motorhome friendly than the UK, and most of the roads are half empty!!

Nothing on a motorhome is very complicated - there's just a lot to take in all at once. Just take your time and learn about peripheral things as and when you need them. If you have got your gas and water sorted out (Think "France" for gas. You may need an adapter?) and can work the knobs and switches in the habitation area, you are nearly there.

If you really are a raw beginner, why not spend a night or two in the van on your front drive? It's not a daft suggestion. If (more likely "when") you realise you have forgotten something, it's not far to go back in and fetch it!

Dave up!

P.S. If you would like a few tips for France, I suggest you start a new thread.
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:17 pm

NORGIL wrote:Many thanks Peter. I am awaiting the opportunity to actually get out in the old girl and meet a few other owners in person. I have no yet had chance to meet anyone with a similar van and establish best practice / shortcuts etc. As far as I can establish, everything that should work does and she drives beautifully, so bring on some decent weather, and hopefully I can shake her down over a couple of trips before heading off for France around April.

Norman

I am an active member of the Auto-sleeper Owners Club (ASOC) and you would find many willing to help with assistance and advice if you joined the club and attend some of their rallies. http://www.kilrock.co.uk/productDetail.asp?PID=17566&categoryID=1858

I suspect the first rally in the Forest of Dean will be fully booked (the rallies are very popular and for most you have to apply as soon as they are advertised in the club's Newsletter).

Burton on Trent isn't too far away from you and that rally hasn't been advertised yet (although it could be in the February Newsletter that is due out in a few days).  Its on part on a pub car park on the outskirts of Burton so convenient and also popular.

Last edited by Peter Brown on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for the support gents and (gentess's ! ). Thats why I really enjoy this forum.

Every time I think I have it sorted though something else crops up...now I am wondering if I need to descale my water system...its never ending for a born worrier...lol

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum