help for the steel workers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

help for the steel workers

Post by mikethebike on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 pm

Just seeing the bad news. All these job losses.

I suggest a 5p increase on fuel prices. To be used to alleviate the suffering.

This can be rescinded when prices go back up.

What do you think?

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: help for the steel workers

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I guess you could ask the transport industry and the motoring public to pay to subsidise the jobs of people who are making steel that nobody wants to buy, but to what purpose? The short term needs of those losing their jobs ~should~ be handled by the benefits system that covers the rest of the country. In the long term, there's probably not a lot that can be done.

If you look at past efforts to do similar things - such as the European farm subsidies which produced butter mountains and wine lakes - the ultimate outcome has not always been good.

The fact is that market conditions change, and those participating in the market have to change as well. I know it doesn't feel right that the actions of the government of another country can have such a damaging effect here, but as a nation we don't have the resources to take on the Chinese and win. We could throw money at it, but what would be the long term objective?
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:39 pm

How about all the other industries ? The last coal mines so another 5P ? Where does it end ? 

I mean we pay into the exchequer to help those who find themselves out of work ? 

I do feel extremely sorry for those that have lost their jobs but I cant see how we can help unless its extended to every single person who loses their jobs .

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Tata the parent group of Tata steel had a turnover of USD108 billion to the year end 2015, international revenue grew 27% to USD 73.41 billion and assets from USD 116.3 billion to USD 117.9 billion..IN CASE YOU WONDER WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE 117.900,000,000

Now if the 1000 or so Port Talbot workers USD15,000 redundancy each that would be 15,000,000... roughly £10 million, see where this going? If Tata is not prepared to look after its workers why the ........ should I!

There is NO DEMAND for steel,The UK Government paid out £9 million to support the steel workers in Scunthorpe, the SSI put £90 million in to Redcar and so it goes on....

There IS a demand for plenty of other services in this country, health, education etc and I would rather put my money in to that than support a dead duck business that its own shareholders can just walk away from!
As Charliefarlie rightly says we already pay into a system that supports redundant workers... and yes I have been one of them several times thanks. 
Of course though we all know it is the Governments fault for not doing enough ( always is) the same as it is always the managements fault when a company folds. WELL IT ISN'T!

The World doesn't want steel right now that is the problem and the solution is to stop making it which has only one result, not your fault, not mine and not the governments either.

Sorry for all those made redundant but that is the World we live in.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Smacks a bit of Morrison's having 2 prices for a pint of milk, the lower price being the normal price and the higher price, 5p more I think per pint, is so_sad for those who felt sorry for the farmers.
Then again how about 5p for all the oil workers laid off in Aberdeen.
Or the hundred or so papermakers laid off in Watchet etc etc
But hang on, as the others have mentioned, we pay taxes to support unemployment benefit, retraining, investment in areas of unemployment etc etc.
Having said all that it is extremely sad on a personal level and community level for all those affected in the steel industry. fedup

pablo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Not a lot of support then. hugegrins 

I never said support steel production. But those people live in areas where they will have to move to find work.  They will need retraining etc. Short term help.

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Nothing wrong with that but that is what Tata should be doing surely? They are a hugely wealthy company so that is their responsibility.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 pm

groundhog wrote:Nothing wrong with that but that is what Tata should be doing surely? They are a hugely wealthy company so that is their responsibility.

I agree, its down to the company.
However  IMHO  There is a lot of blame down to the EU.
What happened to import duty, which levelled the playing. Not allowed ???
At one time our industries were protected against cheap inferior imports of coal, steel, and many other products.
Made in Britain, was a mark of quality.......not any more.....we don't make anything ,,,so  much for passing on a quality life in production to our youngsters.
Everything is imported...What's going to happen when the price of this inferior quality steel, and coal, starts to go through the roof ?? As it will............were all doomed  !! (quote from dad's army  hugegrins )  
We are not allowed to dredge our rivers and waterways...EU regs.we've signed up to  European Water Framework Directive...UK law 2000...
"return rivers to their natural healthy state"    ie.  Your towns, and villages get flooded instead.......Yippee !!    
           Rant over.......for awhile     confused3       Think I'll go kick a few bricks in the garden...oh !   sorry, they're all under water    censored!     Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Why only the steel workers?

If there had been 5p extra on fuel every time there were mass redundancies in the past few years, it would be costing 50 quid a gallon by now!!

A laudable sentiment, but support all (which is patently impossible) or none at all, I think.

Dave

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 am

Shotton Steel (as was then British Steel, then Corus and now Tata) was a major employer where I live. At it's peak back in the 60's there were 13000 employees. 6000 were made redundant on one day. Now there are 700. Life goes on.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Sorry Micky, I feel sorry for the steel workers and others that get paid off, we have re-located five times in our working lives to find employment after receiving the brown envelope .
Fortunately for me and my wife we had  skills we could fall back on until we got back on our feet again.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:15 pm

I was connected with the steel industry many moons ago and know that market forces are what dictates whether one has a job or not.

Unfortunately politics also has an input, as we don't know what the government's agenda is regarding the industry. I experienced this personally in the early eightees.

Ian is right,  China's steel is nowhere near the Quality of the uk and in time we will all realise this, by which time we will have no steel industry left.

I live not too far from Port Talbot and cannot see where these unfortunate people will get new jobs from, unless it will once again be in the service industries.

I can see where mikethebike is coming from, although not the answer, at least has empathy for these unfortunate people.

The French still have a vibrant car industry and are very patriotic when it comes to buying products made in France. We on the other hand in the uk, seem quite happy to buy everthing from China, because itis cheap.
So who earns the bucks for the uk, it is the Banks, is that a good thing or bad?

Leighton
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pablo on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Bad Penny wrote:
........... China's steel is nowhere near the Quality of the uk and in time we will all realise this, by which time we will have no steel industry left.

Bad Penny  - are you suggesting that China's armour plated steel has got chinks in it? Whistle1
pablo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Yup
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:04 am

I find it strange that the calls for support are often made for workers in 'manual' trades, but never when there are thousnads of office workers laid off.  Are office workers less worthy of support for themselves and their families than workers in heavy industries? Does redundancy affect them less severely?

On the question of support, I'm with everyone else - we pay our taxes to support people out of work; the company making the workers should help with retraining, advice etc; and people should be prepared to move to get new jobs as millons of others have done and will continue to do in future
hblewett

Male

Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum