The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy???

+3
Dutto
Paulmold
Matthewclarke1922
7 posters

Go down

Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy??? Empty Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy???

Post by Matthewclarke1922 Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 am

Hi

We've got a T4 Trident 1995.

Looking to buy our 1st awning we're after either a sun canopy on a lower budget or putting ourselves into a recession with a Fiamma Roll Out.

Has anyone got a basic 2 rope 2 pole sun canopy or even better a domed one? Would you recommend one or should we save up for a roll out despite our reluctance and mortgage deposit savings :)

Thanks
Matthewclarke1922
Matthewclarke1922

Male

Member Age : 33
Auto-Sleeper : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy??? Empty Re: Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy???

Post by Paulmold Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 am

We had a sun canopy when we had the Symphony. It was really easy to put up with figure of 8's to attach to the j rail we had on the van (or a C rail). Very light to transport .The obvious difference is price - £50 compared to £500. Now we have a roll out Fiamma, I can still count on one hand the number of times we have used it in two years. I sold the canopy to a member on here.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:02 am

Hi there,

I would go for a sun-canopy on the basis that even a roll-out awning needs to be pegged down and braced like this if there is anything more than a breeze ...

Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy??? IMAG0023_zps6f100524

... and if you don't take it in completely in a high wind then something like this can happen ...

Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy??? IMG_0201

... and punch a hole through the window of the van next door (us in the photo) like this ...

Roll Out Vs Sun Canopy??? IMG_0207

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:08 am

Sun canopy for me too, had one on my Topaz with a C rail, very easy to put up. take down, light weight  hardly any room to store.

Have a Fiamma awning on my Clubman have used it once, as I cannot manage it on my own. wish I had a sun canopy. expensive mistake for me anyway.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Roll out for me.... Easy to use very versatile especially with a set of Lillypads and no clutter to put in the van...

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:34 pm

Fiamma roll out for me, i use it quite a lot, great for barbeques in the rain and snow, even tho' instructions say use as sunshade only.
I suppose there are advantages and dissadvantages with both types.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 pm

....a Caravanstore roll-out gets my vote, mainly because it's not permanently fixed to the van - it just slides in and out of a "c" section awning rail, and we keep it indoors when not needed (in our back bedroom). Doesn't take very long to put up, even with a storm strap that just goes over the top and clips into a sprung peg.
We have had 'vans with the big Fiamma wind-out type, but not easy to do on your own, need four hands, two to hold up and two to wind out...and it's very easy for the handle to come off under pressure and make contact with your paintwork.
Our Caravanstore was s/h from ebay, usually plenty about ( though inevitably the other end of the country...). You are limited by length, our first one was a 190, a bit short on a VWT5, so we then got the next size up, a 225 which is about right.
With a VW you have to make sure the awning rail is not too low, 'cos when the awning is unzipped, the open bag flops down, and could catch in the sliding door. Our first one did - rectified by folding the bag edge up with a clothes peg.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down