Clubman downlighter bulb replacement

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman downlighter bulb replacement

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi all.

No doubt this is very simple. Tried to get at the bulbs in the brass coloured downlighters in my Clubman with a view to replacing with something LED if possible. Having messed about for a while simply cannot find a way to get at the bulb never mind get the bulb out.

Can anyone help before I resort to some form of brute force option.

Woud also like to update the tube lights to LED but am not up to removing bits and pieces of the lamp, does anyone know of a direct replacement unit that supports LED.

Cheers

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman downlighter bulb replacement

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:38 pm

As regards the tubes, I bought  two and they are great, straight swop, no rewiring or bypassing inverter and so much brighter. Here is the link to the supplier I got mine from..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-FLUORESCENT-BULB-12-NO-REWIRE-LED-COOL-WHITE-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-BOAT-/201484482997?hash=item2ee96939b5:m:mItuBh0oJ2dzQqvo8n6ySWw

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Many thanks Paul, did you find that one tube per lamp unit was sufficient ?

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi Paul,

I have two tubes in my lights, would one of these be sufficient over my sink, or will I need to replace both of them.?
  Thanks,
Regards,
Margaret

Norgill,
You beat me to it. biggrin

Last edited by daisy mae on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : last bit)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Depends on your fittings. In mine the two tubes are wired together so I had to put both tubes in the same lamp. Ideally I would have liked to put just one tube in each of two lamps but couldn't. So you need to remove the shade and check before you order.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks Paul

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 am

Can anyone tell me if these 1.5w bulbs are suitable replacements for the reading light (downlighters) please.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-1-5W-Led-Capsule-Bulb-Replace-Halogen-Bulb-12V-Led-Light-Bulb-Lamps-3014-SMD-/151258008139?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Many thanks

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:32 pm

In my Clubman no, don`t know about yours, my down ( reading ) lighters are round , so someone else may be able to help
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1100/fkhd5nhp/products/1163/images/3477/China_G4_12_SMD_BACK_PIN_WW20113231345173__12140.1414058136.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Mine are these, bought good ones from  a motorhome show, there are cheap ones out there, but you not only get less lights, do not last long and in some instances have over heated and caused a fire. they are all made in China but some are a lot better than others, I paid £22 for four.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link to bulbs)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi Margaret. My light units are round brass ones but the bulbs are tiny halogen ones that look like the ones in the link. despite being tiny they draw 20w so if the 1.5w ones are suitable they will be a pretty good saving on power.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 pm

The main problem is that A/S have used a wide variety of light fittings, and each type has its own type of replacement bulb. If yours has its own separate reflector which stays in place when you remove the bulb then a "capsule" type LED bulb (which spreads light all round, as in your Ebay link) will probably be best, while if the bulb has a reflector built onto it (as in a MR16 or MR11 halogen bulb) then the type that Daisy Mae refers to will probably work best.

The great thing about buying the cheap "direct from China" ones is that they are so cheap you can afford to buy a few different types and experiment to find what fits. The downside, as DM mentions, is that some are not very reliable - though with 12V bulbs there should be little chance of a fire unless someone has messed about with your wiring/fuses, as the power available at the fitting should be low.

They can also take an age to arrive! I've been buying my LEDs from Hong Kong recently, as delivery from there seems to be quite a lot quicker than from "mainland" China.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:11 pm

Cheers Mojo, in mine the reflector stays in place, just the "G4" (I think) bulb pulls out. Finally found out that the covers just twist off to  get at the bulb can't beleive how tight they were screwed on though.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bill.teager on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:58 pm

I replaced the G4 bulbs for my down lights got from caravan dealer shop . had to make reflector hole bit bigger to go over bulb but job done work great.
bill.teager

Female

Auto-Sleeper : v.w gatcome
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:00 pm

After taking out the glass, LED bulbs a little deeper than originals so took out the glasses, then bulbs just went in didn`t move the reflector or alter it. works a treat.looks good, I had the warm white. more homely I thought.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bill.teager on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 pm

the LEDs I put in did not need the glass removing  I took old bulb to get a close match
bill.teager

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I took a bulb out when I was at the show and the dealer recommended the ones I bought, they work anyway, have kept the old bulbs and glasses just in case they will be needed in the future.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi Margaret, Is the bulb actually too long or could it be just the pins are longer and need a bit trimming off ?

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Haven`t checked the length of the pins, just the whole thing seems just a fraction longer, will check against the old ones tomorrow.

I could have had the bulbs with the glass on if I had bought new light fittings which I didn`t want to do,

PS 
Haven`t had a problem being without the glass on the front.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bill.teager on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:11 pm

you can just trim the pins which we did.    saw it done in I think it was mmm
bill.teager

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:34 pm

Thats interesting  bill.teager,  will definitely look at that tomorrow.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:18 pm

I have trim the pins on one bulb just to see how it goes, it works up! but still cannot use the glass as the bulb sticks out too far, have been looking at the stick bulbs they are shorter so they should work with the glass in place.

Cannot see how to alter the reflector to take the bulb further in, so have left it as it was without the glass.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 pm

NORGIL, are your spotlights the flush round ones, with the surround about 3.5" across and the glass about 1.5" across, with the halogen G4 capsule sitting on its side?

If so they're the same as the ones in my old Exec. You remove the glass by gently prising out the black plastic sealing ring around the glass (it's split somewhere and you can lever that end out first), then catching the glass as it falls out of course up!

Carefully pull the capsule out sideways.

I replaced mine with these from ebay, we've had dozens from this seller over the years, when we had a boat, and none have ever failed.

They're 10-30V with a built in regulator (be aware that they may cause some interference with certain types of weak radio sources).

We always have the warm white circular version (sometimes have to clip the very end of the pins off as mentioned above) and are a very nice warm colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G4-Quality-12-Disc-13-Capsule-16-Square-SMD-LED-Bulb-Replace-20W-AC-DC-10-30V-/160785195740?var=&hash=item6b1e157a50

Here you go, found a pic of ours

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi meanchris and thanks for your efforts. My lights are different to yours, the round spotlight is in a squareish brass fitting which also houses the switch. I have managed to access the bulbs, the cover just screws off what threw me was how incredibly tightly they were fitted.  My bulbs push in upwards as opposed to sideways on yours. I have ordered a couple of different bulbs from ebay, one circular like yours but with back pins as opposed to side pins and a more conventional stick type bulb. Will try both and see which looks best.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bill.teager on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:06 pm

the G4 bulbs I change to were long type.  not the round flat type  . I trimmed a little from pins then using drill little larger than reflector hole carefull drilled the hole a little bigger. reflector went over bulb  then screw glass back together.
bill.teager

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:42 pm

I went for the long type bulb as opposed to the disc in the end. I enlarged the hole in the reflector by just gently twisting a pair of tapered long nosed pliers down the hole in the reflector, the alluminium reflector is so thin that it enlarges the hole easily,a bit simpler for me than drilling an accurate hole.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:38 pm

I have altered mine, yesterday went to Atem Lighting didn`t realise they were local, I had bought one LED bulb from him on line as it was shorter and I could fit the glass, just to try the one before I bought three more.

Well penny does drop eventually hugegrins the reflectors that bill.teager referred to were the silver ones that I had taken out when fitting first lot of LED`S, I had them stored in a box and had forgotten about them, so yesterday I set to and made the hole bigger with wire cutters and pliers , then went to Atem Lighting and bought four more bulbs the round ones which the glass does fit so all sorted, he very kindly took back the one I had bought on line and replaced with the other sort, next week having the fluorescent lights changed to LED`s which he is fitting for me , he goes to all the motorhome shows and fits the LED`s free when on the showground.as I am fairly local he is fitting mine free. so result. up!
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum