Scuttle leaks on the X230 Boxer ,!996-2001

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scuttle leaks on the X230 Boxer ,!996-2001

Post by gonromin2 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:47 pm

I have a serious problem with rainwater ingress points which the previous feckless owner did not try to cure and I did not spot until after purchase .They allow water to drip/run onto the battery and other areas below the bonnet .

1]I have searched the forum for descriptions of other owners cures but have not found  a definitive answer[s].I have worked out that I need an extra drain[s] on the offside lower edge off the scuttle above the rubber seal and that I could fit a pipe insert/stiffener to direct the flow into a drainage pipe below the bonnet .What dia has been found to be adequate to clear excess water on this side and should I fit 2? ----or is there another way?
2]water also enters through the wiper spindle holes,I have devised a way of blocking these as my local Peugeot dealer could not find a listed part for this job but any ideas would be welcome.
3] rainwater falling on the far right and left hand sides of the windscreen   appears to be expected to run down the inside of the wings.Is this correct?
4] various other places incl the 10 allen key holes at top of scuttle.

Any ideas please incl giving me a search title and forum to help me find a previous write-up or several. scratch head
 Thanks for reading this

gr2
gonromin2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scuttle leaks on the X230 Boxer ,!996-2001

Post by daisy mae on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Hello and asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire, sorry cannot help with your water problem, hope you get it sorted soon.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gonromin2 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks Paulmold for your thread leads and the other helpful answers,Gives me hope and the confidence to go ahead.I have already managed to buy the modified 'water evacuation pipe'for the main,nearside,drain/ heater air intake box and will fit it when I take off the scuttle panel for modifications. content
gonromin2
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 am

Hi, the mods i made for the same problem were. A 5/8" hole drilled in the scuttle (drivers side) with a shortened plasic nozzle, (the ones fitted to mastic and silicone tubes),pushed through, then an angled copper pipe joint fixed to it with sealant, then a length of bicycle innertube coming down and clipped to the inner wing. Just make sure the copper pipe is going to clear the wiper mechanism when the wipers are on, cut down the copper pipe if necessary.
Not that difficult but a bit fiddly.
Before you try to undo the 10 small allen bolts give them a good dose of wd40 they are a bit fragile.
For the wiper spindles i made some new washers using some plasic foam packaging material that i found in my garage.
For the nearside scuttle drain, ive notice some of the modified drain tubes go past the air filter box and down past the radiater and some stop at the back of the air filter box and water runs down the inner wing.
After all this and after heavy rain you still may find some water finding its way in, ive also made a plastic cover for the battery.
Hope this helps.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Auto-Sleeper : symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gonromin2 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks Dave ,your solutions to the problem areas look right ,I have ordered some materials and bits to do this and hope to get  job done this coming week.I will also fit a top battery 'lid' and poss  a rubber seal down the edges of the o/s and n/s channels.

Cheers
gonromin2
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum