ENGINE BRAKING

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: ENGINE BRAKING

Post by Tony F on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:12 pm

squip wrote:Brian,
I certainly remember the old method of heel and toe gear changing. I started using it in my rally driving days and I still use it now although it is not strictly heel and toe. Rather it is heel and outer edge of foot. It enables one to change down a gear by matching the engine revs whilst using the brakes.

squip

I could have written that mysef Squip!! Gave it up when front wheel drive made left foot braking more effective in competition, but still use the heel and toe method occasionally out of nostalgia when driving on the road.
Tony F

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 pm

squip wrote:Brian,
I certainly remember the old method of heel and toe gear changing. I started using it in my rally driving days and I still use it now although it is not strictly heel and toe. Rather it is heel and outer edge of foot. It enables one to change down a gear by matching the engine revs whilst using the brakes.

squip

Hi Squip,
I've just being going over previous posts and found this one addressed to me, which i never replied to.
Please accept my apology .... slipped through the net, with so much going on .... also an age thing hugegrins
Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,
I learned to drive in an Army Austin K9 truck. Crash gearbox, no indicators, no self centering steering, 6 feet of bonnet to stick out before you could see anything coming, you reversed by leaning out of the open door to see behind you (after getting out to check first) , you were taught the "handbrake " gearchange which meant that if you needed to change down going down an unexpected hill you would slow down on the footbrake, partially apply the hand brake to stop the wagon from speeding up, change down (double declutch of course) the release the handbrake, great fun,
Regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down